Viewing 24 posts - 321 through 344 (of 344 total)
  • New Bike weekend, the time to Slay the trails.
  • weeksy

Tbh it’s remarkably good at it. I think it weighs in about 15kg now, even with Minion/Assegai tyres, which is decent enough. If the xc side of things mattered more I’d just throw lighter wheels and tyres as spares instead. But the reality is, 90% of spare income goes on the lad and racing, anything for me is secondary at best, well, not even secondary in truth.

I don’t want or need a different bike though and it’s very very rarely I say that.

bigdaddy

Fair enough – it was mainly a flippant remark, but I am proud that I’ve drawn the comment out ‘I don’t need or want a new bike’!!!

rockhopper70

50 miles is a decent run. I did a 19.5 miler yesterday, pretty much entirely off road and that took in 2,674ft elevation gain.   That’s on a carbon 140mm travel trail bike. I would not have wanted to drag that slayer around!

weeksy

Yeah Strava spat out it’s dummy 3 times so I don’t even know exactly how far or high. It tells me the first 35km was 450m of elevation but that’s about all I’m getting from it. I rarely use Strava so I’m not bothered, it was only because I was planning a decent jaunt I though I’d put it on.
    We did quite a bit last week with BPW, walking at Barry and then chasing the eeb on Sat for 20+ miles, so I’m not unhappy with today at all. It was really only a few times I felt I was struggling to get the power down.
    The Grims Ditch descent made it worthwhile though anyway, it’s an awesome trail that.

weeksy

Was out working on my riding with the boy today. Well, trying to. We were hitting the final jump on the usual trail, it’s a variation on the trail but mostly the same. It’s a table/semi-gap, but you can hit/roll/pop it whatever way without any major worry.
    I just can’t get out of the corner hard enough though to clear it… No matter what i do mid/into it, i come out a bit too slow, mostly because i’m feathering the brakes when i should be off them, but i can’t for the life of me NOT brake a bit…

It’s something i massively need to work and improve upon. But as for HOW…. i don’t honestly know. He’s giving me technique/body position tips, but time and time again i struggle to implement them.

dc1988

Grip the bars without a finger on the brakes. Also practice riding some trails and deliberately don’t pedal, focus on pumping and braking less to maintain speed. If you don’t allow yourself to pedal out of a corner then it helps focus your mind more on braking less, line choice, pumping etc. It can be quite good fun as you start looking at a familiar trail in a very different way if you’re looking for speed without being able to pedal.

weeksy

Grip the bars without a finger on the brakes.

You know what, i was tempted to try this, but yesterday ran out of time… I’m not sure i can manage it, but it’s deffo something to try 🙂

Also practice riding some trails and deliberately don’t pedal, focus on pumping and braking less to maintain speed. If you don’t allow yourself to pedal out of a corner then it helps focus your mind more on braking less, line choice, pumping etc. It can be quite good fun as you start looking at a familiar trail in a very different way if you’re looking for speed without being able to pedal.

I do this at various places yes and at times i can indeed help me a bit.. but some corners (like this particular one) i still just can’t ‘rail’ in the right way. It’s not like i need an extra 10mph… but i do feel i need 2-3mph somehow.

weeksy

Trying to hit ‘the road gap’ at our local spot. Trying to move higher and higher up the hill and stay off the brakes to get further.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2p1viyQ]IMG-20230907-WA0001[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Currently landing where my bar is on the ground… but i need another 3′ really….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p1tPZz]IMG-20230907-WA0004[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

How… well that is the $64,000 question !

hugoagogo
    Free Member

More speed mate, i reckon.

weeksy

Absolutely agree. Or some pop. But I have balls the size of peanuts when this sort of stuff is involved, I can get loads more speed due to steep run in, but doing it and not dragging the brakes is the tough part.
    I’m going to focus on this jump for a few weeks when time allows to see if I can get it, maybe with some help from the boy.
    But we’re away a lot this month so will be tricky.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

Jumps aint my thing either, I’m too much of a chicken.

Tracey

I usually get a tow in if I’m unsure of it

weeksy

I’m pretty sure on it now, it’s about 3′-3’6 on vertical face drop, so pretty much there in terms of height for me. I’ve done a few 4′ height but I don’t think any bigger. I can get over it comfortably but getting to the actual downslope of it and clearing the full path is currently beyond me. I put in 12-15 goes this morning, but had to shoot back to work

weeksy

So i’m thinking of re-visiting the Trek Fuel ex9.8

Slight variation as it’s this one which is slightly newer and a different colour

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3732070/

When i went to the Slayer the thoughts were that if i go to Dyfi etc it’ll be something of a comfort blanket and a bit of an extra margin for me hitting bigger things… The reality is, that’s not really worked out in truth, i’m just not capable of utilising it’s benefits so i end up riding mostly the same as always. Sure, i’ve got faster in the last year, but i don’t think any of the bikes have massively influenced the improvements i’ve had.
    So the thoughts are to go back to a bit of a faster flyer, bit lighter, easier and quicker to do the sort of stuff i do more often.

Oh lord, here we go 😉

weeksy

Well it has been 11 months 😀

Can’t keep a bike for a full year now can we ? 😉

desperatebicycle

“Can you buy skill?

ChatGPT

You can invest time and effort into developing skills through education, practice, and experience. This might involve taking courses, attending workshops, reading books, or gaining hands-on experience in a particular field. In some cases, you might also hire a tutor or mentor to help you acquire specific skills more efficiently.

However, it’s important to note that while you can invest in learning and developing skills, you can’t directly “buy” skill in the sense of purchasing it like a commodity. Skill acquisition typically requires dedication, persistence, and often a financial investment in education or training resources.”

😉

desperatebicycle

That black n gold is nice 🙂

weeksy

Yeah looks nice… i quite like it. He’s got GX gearing on there which i prefer over Shimanos as well as what look like CODE RSC brakes, again which i really like. So as long as there’s nothing glaringly bad about it i think there’s a deal to be done here.

I did a load of Red and tech at Hopton on Sat and it kinda highlighted to me riding the Liv (with new 36s) that the Slayer isn’t the difference between me getting down things. It’s all on me… LOL.

matt_outandabout

Can’t keep a bike for a full year now can we ?

Yes. Yes you can.

😂

weeksy

Yes. Yes you can

You’re being silly now 🙂

Current bikes:

26 years
    6 years (10yo frame)
    5 years

😉

a11y

There’s a username to live up to. Can’t have it changing to yearsy or monthsy, can we.

weeksy

Went over to a mates last night and stole his Fuel EX8 for a day or 2. His is the ML, the one i’m dealing with is an L (i’ve had the L previously) and took his to the woods this morning for a pre-work/breakfast run or 3.. Really enjoyed it once i’d got it set up for my preferences and i’d swear it rolls quicker than the Slayer. Either way though, i’m happy after riding it that i’ll get on the 9.8 and enjoy it 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p768Lx]IMG_20231004_085648[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

So we’ll see if the deal comes off on Friday.

Viewing 24 posts - 321 through 344 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.