Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 344 total)
  • New Bike weekend, the time to Slay the trails.
  • desperatebicycle

Nice one. How did the Slayer feel? Serve you well?

Nice one dude.

weeksy

How did the Slayer feel? Serve you well?

Can’t fault the thing matey. It’s not the thing holding me back that’s for sure.

Can’t fault the thing matey. It’s not the thing holding me back that’s for sure.

It’s a banger of a bike. Glad you had a stormer mate. 🤘

weeksy

2023-03-22_08-54-26

weeksy

Oh yeah… thanks to all who said “put more air in the post”

It was sweet all day 🙂

weeksy

Have a bit of a self-confidence crisis this weekend and “should i or shouldn’t i race” type situation in my head. I’m debating not even throwing the Slayer in the van for the weekend. I’m not even fully sure why… fear of holding people up maybe, fear of being completely garbage… Not really sure. Whilst my BPW performance didn’t exactly set the world on fire, i didn’t feel like i was a liability. But this weekend on trails i’ve never seen, slippery muddy terrain, well, lets just say i’m not convinced 😀 😀
    I may end up taking it and just seeing how practice goes and making a decision from there.

Sadly i’ve still not found an ‘enduro’ style FF helmet that fits me, despite having now tried a TLD Stage, Bell Super3R, Endura MT500 etc etc… I think it’s only the IXS i’ve not bought and sent back.

I thought from your other thread it was the Bell Super DH, not the 3R you tried and didn’t like?

I had a Super 2R before the DH and they are different gravy completely.

weeksy

I thought from your other thread or was the Bell Super DH, not the 3R you tried and didn’t like?

I had a Super 2R before the DH and they are different gravy completely.

Lost count mate… I am petty sure i tried/bought and returned both most likely. I even have one here but in a Medium which is the lads that i’ve got up for sale as he prefers his TLD D4 to ride in.

I’ve just bought a Fox Dropframe Pro for intermediate riding and really like it.

Fox Speedframe Pro for anything gentle

Dropframe for in between

Super DH for t’ gnar

rockhopper70

Something like this, 10% extra off too, may be worth a punt?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Gambit-Full-Face-MTB-Cycling-Helmet_244765.htm

They get good reviews for fit and ventilation. I was tempted, the ProFrame I have is a tad annoying as it has a MIPS liner on the brow which you can feel against your skin. This colour sort of matches your bike, ish.

I tried one of those spesh gambits and the peak looks a bit odd when you’re wearing it

Tracey

I would always take a bike. Even if you don’t compete you can still get out on the bike. Maybe get to a few stages to cheer on.

weeksy

I would always take a bike. Even if you don’t compete you can still get out on the bike. Maybe get to a few stages to cheer on.

I’m sure at the very least i’ll put the number on and get out in practice in the morning. I’m just struggling a little with the thoughts of holding people up and messing up their race runs. At BPW i was a bit more confident that wouldn’t happen (as much) but on trails like this, i dunno… I’ll see what tomorrow evenings track walk and then practice makes me feel about it all. I’m just being a bit of a big girls blouse mostly…

Tracey

I wouldn’t worry about holing anyone up. If your that worried just say to the guy in the que behind you to give you a few seconds more before he sets off. It happens all the time in regional Enduros, the marshals should be aware of it. If you’ve highlighted it and the guy behind ignores it its their problem.

fazzini

Oh yeah… thanks to all who said “put more air in the post”

That photo – the true definition of concentration! good effort 🙂

I might have mentioned it previously, but MET helmets are the most comfortable I’ve ever found. No other brands ‘fit’ especially POC and Bell – really uncomfy on my (clearly odd-shaped) noggin. I only use my GIRO Fixture because I’ve bought it and its very lightweight. If I ever have any spare spends I’ll be looking for another MET. My Parachute (not MCR but the older FF version) is really lightweight and very comfy, though its only been used in anger twice

weeksy

That photo – the true definition of concentration! good effort

@fazzini

It’s a particularly nice little kicker that, if you take the inside line on the left it kicks you over the rock and a little bit of air…I was quite pleased with the pic. Weridly, ALL my pics look just like that… i wonder at times when i find time to breathe 😀

fazzini

i wonder at times when i find time to breathe 😀

I’ve heard its good for you though 🤣

nickc

Great face @weeksy, got to respect the number board 👍

mark88

https://m.facebook.com/groups/4412358368845151/permalink/5978459498901689/

Just in case you’re definitely not still pondering a Privateer…

joebristol

490mm reach on that privateer so that’s a lot longer than the Slayer…

bikerevivesheffield

Sent him that last week to tempt him lol – is up here near me so I can help him out

weeksy

Lol @mark88 after this weekend I’m debating hanging up my shoes 😹😹😹

manorath-j
    Free Member

If you enjoy racing, cherry pick your events and don’t worry about the results. I race purely to try and get to ride trails or places I probably wouldn’t have been to otherwise.

But also, there is so much more to mountain biking that racing. Keep at it.

weeksy

But also, there is so much more to mountain biking that racing. Keep at it.

Oh i’m very much aware mate… The problem recently has been that the weekends are away racing every weekend, so the time for the ‘other’ riding simply hasn’t been there due to lack of daylight etc. Happily the clocks have changed now so it means i can get out after work and get some riding time locally.
    I honestly thought the Southern would have been fine (ish), i’ve done a few southerns before, but this was next level of toughness… So in terms of racing i’m likely at the moment to do the next Haibike Enduro at BPW on the 21st of June and the rest of it will be the lad racing and me putting in some miles and smiles in other ways 🙂

weeksy

The Slayer is still seeing plenty of action, from FoD coaching to local rides where it’s awesome.

I do need to find a time and plan to swap the bottom bracket on it as it was sluggish the other day. But not got around to it yet.
    Won’t be able to get out on i this weekend as out with the lad, but next weekend it’s out at Milland for Southern Enduro. See if the skills coaching from Katy can drag me out of the bottom of the pack and closer to mid-back-pack mediocrity.

I am slightly mullet curious and may throw on a smaller wheel just out of interest really. Although it’s possible it’ll shorten the reach a bit too much, so not sure.

weeksy

Give you a bit of something to mock

Being followed by the boy. Happily he never fell asleep

fazzini

How many “Rider!” shouts did you edit out? 😜

All bike fun is good fun. 👍🏻

weeksy

How many “Rider!” shouts did you edit out?

Ah he’s a nice boy, he wouldn’t heckle me.. i thought he may make an overtake though 😀

We may go back tonight and he can then show me his lines at my pace.. we rode it 4-5 times before the video but i don’t get to see his lines when he goes his pace, mostly as i can’t stay with him. 😀

Sadly it’s all a bit wet this weekend and i’m arguably slightly better in the dry.. which is a shame

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oxpVoF]2023-05-02_08-35-56[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

thanks to Doomanic, i have a Float X here to throw onto the Slayer. No real reason other than ‘just to try’ and see how i like or don’t….

joebristol

Interesting to see how you find it – the float x isn’t a bad shock at all. Got the performance elite version (Just adds lsc adjustment over that one) and it was alright until I compared it with a Kitsuma coil – it then feels a bit wheezy and clunky in comparison.

weeksy

Not a massive shock (see what i did there) on weight with the Float X being half the weight

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oxmEyK]2023-05-02_09-48-32[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oxrCxU]2023-05-02_09-48-24[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Swapping it takes the bike overall weight to 15.7kg.

I’ll see if i can find any legs to get out and test it today. Although i’m pretty fried after Peaks and BPW

weeksy

Today was just a cruisy day… in some ways even though i’ve got enduro/trails/crazy all the time, i do miss just being out and cruising around.

So today was just exactly that… a short ride and cruising around, taking it easy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oxQtAX]2023-05-04_10-44-56[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oxVmWY]2023-05-04_10-44-51[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

doomanic

Looks good mate, let me know how you like it.

weeksy

Looks good mate, let me know how you like it.

@doomanic

I pinged you over the weekend. I’m pretty happy with it mate, was having a play with the rebound settings today and got it somewhat close to where i’m happy… It rides nice, little bit lighter too 🙂 which is all good.

weeksy

Didn’t quite gel with the air shock, so it’s likely to be sold. I did notice this morning that with the coil fitted and on the bike i’m hitting about 22% sag… Which is arguably a little on the firm side maybe.. So i may drop a spring rate.

I’m not 100% what it was about the air i didn’t really like… just felt… well, a bit wrong really.

Had a hefty crash at the weekend and have spannered my shin/knee so i’m being on the gentle side with myself at the moment.

joebristol

Hope you recover quick from your crash!

I find the air shock on the Sentinek is ok – just it blows into / through the mid travel a bit too early with sag set for it to be sensitive on small stuff. Then if you pump it up to get the support it’s bit harsher all round. Coil just does both elements well. Not sure what my sag level is – probably 25% ish – maybe a touch lower. But it works really well like that.

weeksy

Hope you recover wuick from your crash!

Thanks mate, i’m mostly fine… got a huge bruise on shin, but essentially i’m fine… Was out yesterday for a gentle one and it wasn’t too bad.

I felt like the air sagged too much initially, which is similar to how i’ve felt at times with say a DPX2, this one is a Float X performance.

I’ve just gone back to the 450 spring (550 is what i’ve been running), that seems to give me 32% sag which is pretty much in the ball park i guess, but i think i may find i bottom it out… Which clearly makes the potential answer, the 500 spring (which i don’t currently own)

joebristol

Mines a performance elite with the lsc adjustment – although I’m not quite sure how effective the adjustment is. I was running it around 25% sag or so I think (maybe 220 psi) so it didn’t sag too much at the start and didn’t plunge through the travel too quickly. But it was a bit bumpier than I’d like – and with the cascade link it just feels a bit out of it depth.

32% sag sounds a lot – depending on how much progression your frame has you might bottom out. I definitely would on mine with that level of sag. I’m running a 500lb spring on mine and it’s just about right for me / my riding style.

weeksy

Slayer seems to want it fairly saggy.

STANDARD SET UP / 35% SAG
    BOTTOM OUT CONTROL / FIRM RIDE / 25% SAG

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.