Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • New Bike Day – Big, slack, & begging to be ridden hard…
  • ta11pau1

Woohoo! After a few months of pondering, a couple of demo rides, and a week or two’s wait after nailing down the order, it’s new bike day for me. 🥳😁

It’s big, it’s raw, it’s looooong, it’s slack, it’s heavy… it’s built to withstand a small nuclear strike… It’s a Nicolai Geometron G1 of course!

Yesterday’s large package
    PXL_20221025_092458695~2
    Mid-build shots
    PA251114
    PA251115
    PA251117

The 98% finished bike…

Size XL. 535mm reach, a 79 degree ST angle, and 62.5 degree head angle. Wheelbase is 1350mm give or take. It’s on 175mm rear travel, 170mm front. It pedalled completely normally on my test ride at this setting so I don’t see me changing it much, but then to take it down to 162mm is a 5 minute job including a spring change.

I carried over a few bits from my YT Jeffsy:

Manitou Mezzer Pro forks (now at 170mm) – I’m waiting on a replacement travel o-ring and some lower oil to complete the service on these
    E13 TRSR carbon wheels, 29er of course
    XO1 cassette
    XX1 chain
    GX eagle AXS mech
    Shimano M8100 cranks & 30T Unite co chainring
    Oneup 35mm rise bar
    Ergon grips
    Fabric saddle
    Rimpact std inserts front and rear
    Burgtec Penthouse mk5 pedals

And the new stuff:
    EXT Loria V3, 375 & 350lb springs
    One up components 240mm dropper & V3 lever
    XT bottom bracket
    Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes with 203mm/220mm discs
    Hope 35mm Gravity stem
    Hope headset
    Schwalbe Big Betty & Magic Mary supergravity
    YT Thirstmaster 2000 bottle and mounting plate

What does it weigh, you ask? Errrrr… LOTS! 🤣

The frame with BB, headset and rear axle is 5kg, exactly 1.1kg over my old jeffsy and CC DB IL Coil. Then the tyres and about 200g heavier each than my old Vittoria Martello/Mazza combo. So it’s 1.5kg heavier than my Jeffsy. Which makes it 17kg with pedals. Eek!

I still have a few jobs to do to finish it off; I need some shorter M6 bolts for the rear brake adapter, and I need to bleed and centre/set up the brakes once they’ve come, plus I’ll need to pull the fork off to change the lower oil and fit the travel o-ring.

Probably won’t get a chance to ride until the weekend but thought I’d use the gap in the weather to get some pics.

Comments about the state of my bush welcome! 🤣

ton

so are you selling the pinion bike then ?? ;o)

weeksy

Whilst i don’t like the looks, that’s an EPIC thing !

tetrode
    Free Member

Welcome to the cult! I too went from a jeffsy to a G1 and it was a very good choice! I’m 1.5 years in and still loving it.

ta11pau1

so are you selling the pinion bike then ?? ;o)

Hell no! Love my pinion hardtail and tbh if I didn’t have that then this would be way overkill for one bike. The hardtail will do a lot of the mellow local stuff which I’m fully aware that the G1 is overkill for, on a nuclear level! 🤣

It will however get chucked down various Scottish/Lake District etc trails as fast as I possibly dare!

hooli

Lovely bike. I like the look of it, looks a bit “welded by a slightly mad engineer in a shed”.

Its bloody long too, how tall are you?

reeksy

You either need to buy a rake or sack your gardener?!?

… bike looks like a weapon!

ta11pau1

Whilst i don’t like the looks, that’s an EPIC thing !

Agreed it’s not what you’d call “sexy” but it’s Germanic form following function, overbuilt to the nth degree, at its best.

“Striking” would be an appropriate term! And I’m glad I went for the silver and black theme.

Its bloody long too, how tall are you?

6ft 3in – my Jeffsy was 75mm shorter in wheelbase so that wasn’t exactly a small bike.

Stealth ad – there’s an XXL Jeffsy and came creek coil shock in the classifieds if anyone is interested. 😉

spooky211
    Free Member

Yes! I’ve had my G1 for just over a year and loving it. Was running it mullet until a month ago and holy moly does it carry speed with the big wheel on the back. Make sure you play about with the mutators – really easy to swap out the seat stay mutators and I was surprised at the difference in ride characteristics.

Think I’m going to go for the YT Thirstmaster – currently running a Fidlock on the top tube which just looks odd. Hard to stomach £50 for a water bottle though.

ton

had a Nicolai susser years ago. was ace.
    yours looks spot on. enjoy mate.

davros

Absolute beast.

a11y

Welcome to the club. That’s bloody lovely, nice choice on the build too.

I’m not (yet) on a G1, but working my way through them. G15 for 15 months and just swapped everything over to a G16 frame last week. I know G1 is where I want to be but finances say otherwise. I’ll post in the Mojo Nicolai thread.

explorerboy

Love the look of this bike. There is something so good about tan wall tyres and a raw frame!

RudiBoy
    Free Member

looks really nice… Where did you get the mount for the Bottle cage ?

What size bottle did you go for ?

singlespeedstu

Good choice.*
    Now take it somewhere steep and thrash the shit out of it.

* Apart from the tan walls.😛

matt_outandabout

Well. That is escalating your capabilities.

dirkpitt74

That looks ace – congrats!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Excellent, a Geometron is a bit of a grail bike and yours looks spectacular. I remember first seeing a Nicolai in the flesh and was bowled over with the details.

nickc

Love new bike day.

That is an awesome looking thing.

bonni

A savagely handsome brute but, cor, what a whopper! I thought it had 27.5 wheels on it. Enjoy!

What’s manualling like on these things?

fasthaggis

👍 Looks like it means business .

fathomer

Looks ace (apart from the tan walls)! Would love to own one at some point, the only thing I’d consider getting rid of my Starling for.

jfab

That looks bloody excellent!

ta11pau1

Couple more close ups:

And with the post at ‘full mast’ hehe

This is now my 2 MTB stable, not a bit of paint or lacquer in sight! The Nordest Pinion hardtail is 15.5kg with pedals so I’m used to heavy bikes, it feels light Vs the G1 though!

I knew tanwalls wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste but I think they work on a raw alloy frame. And the bottle is a YT Thirstmaster 2000, Geometron make a mount which allows it fit the frame, it holds just about the same water as a fidlock 590 bottle too.

The bell is a spurcycles compact bell, fits perfectly and I don’t have to move my hand to use it, and it rings for about a minute after dinging!

weeksy

you need to fit your forks the right way round 😉

honourablegeorge

Looks ace, although I’m thoroughly biased as I have one too.

Tell me more about the water bottle and in particular the mounting plate? My G1 has a single bolt hole in that spot – do Mojo supply the plate?

v7fmp

bloody lovely!

I revisited the Geometron website recently to have another look. I really should organise a test ride. But then i also want a Raaw…. and the small fact i dont have the funds currently.

But regardless…. very nice 🙂

singlespeedstu

My G1 has a single bolt hole in that spot – do Mojo supply the plate?

You can get the mount from Mojo yes.
    It bolts to that hole and the unused thread for the cable clamp on the pivot mount.

Totally the right choice on the raw front OP.
    Previous to my G1 and G13 I had a G16 in black.
    It was an absolute nightmare to try and clean. Always looked clean when wet then filth when it dried.

ta11pau1

You can get the mount from Mojo yes.
    It bolts to that hole and the unused thread for the cable clamp on the pivot mount.

Yep this, uses the threaded hole at the bottom of the down tube and 2 holes in the pivot mount. It’ll be perfect for local rides 1-2 hours long, I’ve got a little piggy bag and oneup pump mount to go on the bike so I’ll be covered for tools/pump/tube etc.

honourablegeorge

I bought the fidlock top tube mount from them a while back which has worked really well, that’s much neater, although buying and especially shipping a bottle from YT is pricy

ta11pau1

Yeah, it’s not a cheap option! £56 for the bottle delivered and £22.50 for the mounting plate.

This is a full thirstmaster 2000 emptied into a fidlock 590 to compare the water it holds

SirHC

Welcome to the fold.

What’s manualling like on these things.

I’ve seen Sam and Jack (from Geometron) pop them on the back wheel, it can be done, just needs skills. Manualling in trails is no issue though.

ta11pau1

Totally the right choice on the raw front OP.
    It was an absolute nightmare to try and clean. Always looked clean when wet then filth when it dried.

Yeah I liked the idea of a colour but I like the raw advantages better, no paint to scuff, no invisiframe to fit. I’ve got a rockguardz downtube protector on the way. I can always take it back in a year or 2 and Nicolai will repaint the while bike!

ta11pau1

I’ve seen Sam and Jack (from Geometron) pop them on the back wheel, it can be done, just needs skills. Manualling in trails is no issue though.

My manuals were never that great but it’ll just need a bit more body language. Shouldn’t be too hard to learn! Trail manuals is all I need, I’d love to learn how to nose pivot though!

TheFlyingOx

Lovely looking bike. I thought the welds on my new Canfield were robust but that thing looks like it’ll survive the heat death of the universe.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Every time I see a NBD thread, I just assume it’ll be Weeksy buying another GT Fury.

Love GEOs, congrats!

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu

Pro tip for black Nicolais – after cleaning, a little spray of WD40/GT85 and rub with a cloth. They come up looking brand new, it’s amazing.

sharkattack

I remember Geometron day. I’d love another one just like this, probably 1 size down.

What’s manualling like on these things?

I could never do it on my G16. I can do it on most bikes no bother but it was so much effort and I never put the time in.

Wheelie skills are back now that I’m on a much shorter bike.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Your greenhouse is sinking

a11y

Pro tip for black Nicolais – after cleaning, a little spray of WD40/GT85 and rub with a cloth. They come up looking brand new, it’s amazing.

I’m just starting to live with an ano black Geometron, so I’ll bear that in mind. However, being a tart I’ve started off by ceramic coating the frame using cheap stuff: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394270232653. Used it on painted frames and anodized rims before and it makes cleaning far, far easier

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.