Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • New Bike! Beardy touring content – Genesis Tour De Fer
  • robdob
    Free Member

So when my brother bought a Croix De Fer I instead really liked the look of the Tour De Fer. I have a proper road bike and a MTB – also a retro Kona Kilauea which I have used for touring but I darent lock it up anywhere because I’d be distraught if I lost it.

Here’s the catalogue shot….

I also wanted a dynamo on it, so my brother (PeterPoddy) sorted me out with an Exposure one too.

I had him build me a pair of wheels – 36 rear, 32 front Mavic Xm319 disc with an XT rear disc hub.

It’s tiny!

My recovered saddle was to go on it too.

Had a 400 mile 7hr round trip to fetch the bike yesterday from Moore’s cycles in Isleworth London where my brother works – nice bunch of guys there.

Proof I got there!

I got to use the workshop for an hour or so to swap the wheels and controls over.

It’s going to be a couple of days at least until it’s built properly so I’ll share pics then.

Stoner
    Free Member

is poddy Benjamin Button, he’s looking younger every day, the charmer 🙂

That looks a sweet build. The hub is indeed tiny.

How did you cover the saddle. I’ve got a SDG BA on my london commuter and while it’s not in ace shape it’s not yet ready for the bin/recover but might be one day.

First trip planned on the TdFer then?

RustySpanner

Whoo, proper bikes again! 😀

Looking forward to hearing what you think…

winston
    Free Member

Can you route the revo wire internally – don’t steel forks have a drainage hole near the drop out?

robdob
    Free Member
    robdob
    Free Member

Winston – nice idea – I’ve been to look and the only hole near the dropout is absolutely tiny. Don’t think I could get a pair of wires through it.

robdob
    Free Member

The odd thing is that no-one is talking about this bike online. No idea why, but this could be the only owners thread on the Internet!!

winston
    Free Member

Hmm – I guess on a tourer it would only be for neatness as you are less likely to snag it but on a bikepacker I would definitely want internal routing.

Nice bike – Genesis really do seem to hit the button these days for real cyclists

duntstick
    Free Member

Certainly the first I’ve seen, looking forward to the ride reports

simondbarnes

The odd thing is that no-one is talking about this bike online. No idea why, but this could be the only owners thread on the Internet!!

They’ve not been available until very recently. First one arrived where I work on Friday.

RustySpanner

It is odd, because it’s almost the only one of the new disc ‘tourers’ that’s actually specced properly – rear brake in the right place, decent braze ons, separate guard/rack bosses, triple etc.

winston – Member
    Nice bike – Genesis really do seem to hit the button these days for real cyclists

For me, this is the Genesis for ages that seems to be properly focused and good value for money.

robdob
    Free Member

Winston – there’s not many off the peg bikes that have internal Dynamo routing! You could maybe enlarge the hole a bit but it’s not something I want to do with a new bike. I’ll get some guides to take the wire up the inside of the fork leg.

duntstick
    Free Member

I’m looking at ordering a frame only TDF and would be interested know about the sizing.

I’m a smidge short of 6ft for reference and will probably need a 56 but I’m not in a position to check as I live in France.

Any input appreciated

houndlegs
    Free Member

duntstick, I havent long ordered a frame only and the cheapest place I found was epic cycles. Everywhere else I looked was £475, they are doing them for £425. This was a Croix de Fer mind, not the tour as in this thread.

robdob
    Free Member

For me, this is the Genesis for ages that seems to be properly focused and good value for money.

I like how the hidden details are decent quality. The wheels on this bike could so easily be m475 hubs (or worse) and most people wouldn’t notice. However they have specced Deore hubs front and back which are really well sealed and will last ages. The freehub is way better too. I suppose they could have put on a Deore mech instead but that’s easy and cheap to change, hubs aren’t.

robdob
    Free Member

Details……

Triple bottle bosses but also the downtube one has 3 bolts. I’m not sure why but I’m sure there’s something I can buy to bolt here…. 😉

Nice headtube cable stops. Why all bikes aren’t like this I don’t know.

Spoke holder. Peterpoddy sorted me out with some spare spokes for the new wheels but the bike actually came with the right spokes as spares already mounted. Nice touch.

Propstand mount – I’ll be buying one soon. So useful when you have a laden bike.

The brakes I am using Deore Trekking brakes. They have longer levers and a neater look IMHO. There really is no reason to spend more.

Nice rear mount for the brake.

Andy

Looks lovely Robdob. The triple bolts on the down tube might be for a Salsa Anything Cage or similar large bottle cage

robdob
    Free Member

Sorry wrong pic above of the levers. Here they are.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The bars appear to have changed shape!!

Olly
    Free Member

Though i would have had stuck with the drops myself.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

triple bottle bosses but also the downtube one has 3 bolts. I’m not sure why but I’m sure there’s something I can buy to bolt here….

Salsa anything Cage?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like that I do.

Though i’da stuck with the drops but hey..

What’s you plans for travelling on it, something long and fruity ?

somafunk

Nice bike and I like the flat bar style. I keep spare spokes, zip ties, chain links etc wrapped up in cling film with a few strips of duct tape and shoved down my seat tube.

velosam
    Free Member

Lovely build. I am surprised it got such nice small details.

ton

robdob, perfect make. full side on photo please.

Edric64
    Free Member

I looked at these but wonder if a 60 cm frame will be big enough for me without using a massive post and then having too big a drop to the bars which I dont want on a tourer .My LBS has one coming in so will have a look then

shermer75
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike. Good work!! 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

I’ll do a proper photo shoot when I’ve finished building it. I’m waiting for parts to shorten one brake hose (missing from packet) and some pedals – ordered some DMR V8 magnesium pedals. Also need some gear cable. I’ve taken the front rack off for the moment as it weighs a ton and I won’t need it straight away.

Drops or flats? I have my road bike with drop bars which is ok but I toured last year with flat bars and found it very comfy with bar ends added. I have a bad neck which isn’t that compatible with drop bar positions.

Nice upright position to see the lovely countryside as I pootle along. It also means I could for hydro discs cheaply too.

Just sold all the controls and brakes now so might have enough cash for the lights/USB charger now.

Ton – If I come to Leeds on it I will pop round to your work.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why did you have to post THAT pic…? 😉
    Stoner, thanks, it’s rare I get compliments… 😀

robdob
    Free Member

You look better than me – no matter how I fiddled with the photo I still appear to have oddly yellow skin!

marmaduke
    Free Member

Hi Robdob, check out this USB regulator, it’s not as sexy as a headset one but works well as far as I can read. http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DF4JOIM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FWD8FLRIIV37

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think he’ll be getting the same light I’ve got – Busch and Müller Lumotec iQ Luxos U. £84 form Germany gets quite simply the best road going beam pattern I’ve ever seen and a USB port on the bars. Neat and tidy waits superb build quality.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You look better than me – no matter how I fiddled with the photo I still appear to have oddly yellow skin!

Lay off the bananas dude.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m looking at ordering a frame only TDF and would be interested know about the sizing.

I’m a smidge short of 6ft for reference and will probably need a 56 but I’m not in a position to check as I live in France.

Any input appreciated

I’ve got a 2015 Croix de Fer
    I was bang on a 54cm in a road bike, I’m 5’8″ and it was spot on.
    I tried a 54cm and it felt fine but I wanted something smaller as it’s not an out and out speed bike, I wanted to pootle, do a bit of light off road and the odd light tour. So I went down a size to a 52cm which fits me fine and seems spot on for what I wanted. Only problem is a bit of toe overlap, but the Tour de Fer has a bit more fork rake which should help.
    I’d say a 56 would be about right for you, as I’d put you borderline 58 for a pure road bike.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Oh god I really want that frame now!! Especially because it’s engineered to take a kickstand as opposed to that Surly Long Haul Trucker the Yanks all fawn over which buckles under the stress.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d be getting one of these…..

Velo Orange Porteur Kickstand

robdob
    Free Member

Ordered pedals, just need some gear cable and wait for my grips to arrive then I can finish building it up.

Not going to buy the lights yet, don’t need them straight away.

It’s not a light bike but I don’t think its too bad. Certainly is very good looking, the finish on the paintwork is lovely.

ton

Surly Long Haul Trucker the Yanks all fawn over which buckles under the stress.

mine has survived a 20 stone pilot and double loaded panniers on many tours, hence I think you are talking shyte.

Olly
    Free Member

Is that rack available on its own??

Olly
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘New Bike! Beardy touring content – Genesis Tour De Fer’ is closed to new replies.