Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 243 total)
  • Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)
  • v666ern
    Free Member

pretty sure those nice one direction boys smoke, best get on to the fuzz…

HindlePie
    Free Member

If you must live in Marple…

teasel
    Free Member

it affects the taste of food

No shit. I believe it’s even been known for stoners to attack takeaway pizzas. Can you imagine…

pondo

When I had my flat I never smoked (cigarettes) inside, always in the garden, just to avoid making it reek of fags – I have to say, I lived there for two years, and not until I saw this thread did I give any thought whatsoever to secondary smoke stinking out the flat above or houses next door. No-one ever said anything – I’d have been mortified if they had, and would had smoked further from the house.

Mind you, I’m very reasonable. 🙂

poah
    Free Member

stole this from another forum

get the council to investigate under section 79 of the environmental protection act 1990 as they have a. legal duty of care to investigate.

here

Section 79(b) ‘smoke emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance’ is the relevant section. In this section smoke also includes the smell of smoke [Griffiths v Pembrokeshire County Council [2000] 18 LS Gaz R 36, DC per Kennedy LJ, VP].

you can also bring legal action yourself under section 83 of the act

or just phone the police on them. if it was me I would have no problem doing it as if it was affecting me. if it wasn’t affecting me I wouldn’t give a ****

natrix
    Free Member

Mikey 74, then if they ignore you, get a lawn sprinkler, set up so that the water drifts over the fence to their garden when the smoke drifts over the fence to your garden.

(A bit disappointed as originally I thought that the title was “neighbours smoking hot” and had hoped to see piccys :D)

loum
    Free Member

IMO, you have two options – talk to them or report them. But not a chat and then report.

You can see from a few of the posts above just how arsey some folk can get if there’s a suggestion that someone should be a bit more considerate with their smoking habits.
    So there’s every chance that talking to them will draw at least a similar level of response, if not worse, making reporting a more difficult future experience in the neighbourhood.
    Make your choice, but if you are reporting them then don’t give warning or let them know it’s you. Nothing to gain, too much risk.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nuke them from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

(Or just have a quiet word about the smell getting in your house, which most people would agree is not on)

scaled
    Free Member

Sod all of this liberal crap, you want to be a borderline drug addict then toddle off somewhere else and dont make other peoples lives a misery doing it.

I have nothing at all against people smoking occasionally and socially that dont inflict others with it on a constant basis, i can see why you are annoyed.

Call the police, it was illegal last time i checked…

I assume that you lot on the moral high ground will be reporting the dubious tax avoidance measures on the other thread, or is it none of your business?

grahamg
    Free Member

Definitely have a quiet word. I like to think I’m very consciencous with my smoking, making sure away from any open windows and other people etc. as I understand it’s simply not pleasant for it to be unavoidable, these people probably just don’t realise that. Tell them it’d be the same if they were out smoking B&H all day.

dazh

So is riding on footpaths….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could start spraying cans of stella over the fence, after all it’s only drinking. What’s the harm in it. Live and let live guys.

DezB
    Free Member

I assume that you lot on the moral high ground will be reporting the dubious tax avoidance measures on the other thread, or is it none of your business?

How is it the **** moral high ground?

Did you actually read (and comprehend) this bit?

She has a one and three year old and because there are so many of them smoking it fills most of our gardens and comes up through the windows.

Would you like it if you couldn’t open your windows in the summer because of the stink of smoke? I certainly wouldn’t. I have no opinion either way on the morality of smoking weed, but stinking people out with it needs sorting.
    From poah’s link it looks like the council are the best port of call.

Or find some way to make the stoners paranoia kick into action. Frighten the bastards out.

edhornby

if you know that the dealer comes round every friday – this is something the police would be interested in, supply is a different matter to use

what most folk think is, we called the police and they did nowt – this usually isn’t true, they will probably have an operation ongoing where they are tracking all the low-level dealers that all buy from one criminal organisation (like a rented house full of plants) that are run by a gang of committed criminals who are probably manufacturing or moving stuff a lot stronger than weed

DezB
    Free Member

You’ve been watching The Wire, haven’t you? 😉

dazh

tracking all the low-level dealers that all buy from one criminal organisation (like a rented house full of plants) that are run by a gang of committed criminals who are probably manufacturing or moving stuff a lot stronger than weed

Not sure you understand how the drug supply chain works. You have to go quite a way up the tree to find any ‘committed criminals’. The low level dealers buy off other low level dealers who are ever so slightly higher up the tree. At least that was the case 15 years ago, I guess it might have changed these days.

scaled
    Free Member

Calm down Dez, I was reefering (see what i did there?) to the whole “Well, it’s illegal so you’ve a moral obligation to report it” crew.

If you read, and comprehended my previous post, I suggested cake and a friendly word 😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

Step outside, take a few deep breathes……….aaaannnnddddd relax!

What this all boils down to is the fact that you don’t like how your neighbours are living their lives. Which really is tough luck if you won’t speak to them or grass them up.

andyl
    Free Member

Cake…now there is a god idea. Get them to bake brownies instead.

Better for their lungs and no smoke. 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

kill every one within a mile or so,there probly poor or in some way lower class,its really the only way, please please think of the children 😯

peter1979
    Free Member

I read somewhere that Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris started off just smoking weed. Just think, If someone would have reported them back when that all started, maybe they wouldn’t have made all those shit TV programmes?

Do the right thing.

soobalias
    Free Member

one of my neighbours cooks bacon with the window open, unbelieveable really, they know damn well that my missus is pescatarian.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What this all boils down to is the fact that you don’t like how your neighbours are living their lives.

Part of this is right but they are living their lives inside other people’s houses. The comparison I used before is the same, if I poured beer through your windows what would you think.

DezB
    Free Member

Calm down Dez

Ok, I’ll have a smoke.

allthepies
    Free Member

it fills most of our gardens and comes up through the windows.

That just isn’t on, how the potheads on here anyone can think that’s acceptable is below my paygrade 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

The comparison I used before is the same, if I poured beer through your windows what would you think.

I’m come and chat to you about it and not complain on the internet….like I caveated my original statement with but you chose not to quote.

Also, are we sure there isn’t any embellishment with regards to how much is floating in? They must really be going at it in open areas to fill at least two neighbouring houses with smoke.

Am I correct in thinking this isn’t the first ‘neighbour’ thread the OP has created?

Edit: I am correct:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-had-row-with-next-door-neighbour

So, is this the same neighbour or just the same common denominator?

Milkie
    Free Member

As above if your are sure the smoke is getting in through your house and not through open windows then there is a problem with your property not being properly sealed.

You hear of stories of people living next to a cannabis farm and not knowing about it, therefore there must be a problem with ventilation between yours and the smokers properties.

If they smoke enough of it, you should become immune to the smell. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you do not smoke and you have a sense of smell and someone smokes super strength skunk [ there may be a clue in the name as to the pungency of said smoking material] it is highly likely that neighbours will indeed be able to smell it

A neighbour [ teenage kid] used to smoke [ heavily] in their bedroom and you could smell that in mine FWIW.

You hear of stories of people living next to a cannabis farm and not knowing about it

they tend to grow in airtight rooms and then vent it through the roof after passing it through filters [ or recycling it] so it does not smell…its almost as if they do not want to draw attention to themselves and go to great lengths to make sure the smell does not escape

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ex-smoker and stoner and 100% with the OP – it’s fricking annoying

Use a bit of quid pro quo, ‘we don’t mind you guys having a smoke but it is starting to make our house smell’ the merest hint of insinuated threat woven into a reasonable request to create neighbourly harmony. Carrot and stick in one.

Without the illegal bit we had a young couple move in next door who smoked outside and yes it drifted in through our windows. SPoke to them, they happily agreed to smoke down the other end of the garden. If it’s peeing it down we’re unlikely to have our windows open and they smke nearer the house, so all’s good. Most people are reasonalbe most of the time.

konabunny
    Free Member

Step outside, take a few deep breathes……….aaaannnnddddd space outtttt!

If its against the law then you bloody well have a moral obligation to report them,

It’s only a moral obligation if the law is moral.

bigyinn
    Free Member

dazh – Member

So is riding on footpaths….
    WRONG! Unless you’re talking about council maintained footpaths where cycling is specifically prohibited.
    Cycling on a normal unadopted footpath is generally a civil offence and not illegal as such, you just have no permission to be there riding a bike.

dazh

its almost as if they do not want to draw attention to themselves and go to great lengths to make sure the smell does not escape

Or if you’re the dealer/grower who lives two doors down from me you don’t bother and you carry on brazenly growing even though all the neighbours can smell it and you’ve been busted twice!

dazh

WRONG! Unless you’re talking about council maintained footpaths where cycling is specifically prohibited.

I stand corrected. OP, grass him up! (no don’t, really. It’s a shitty thing to do)

almightydutch
    Free Member

I love STW!!!

Last time I checked, it was perfectly legal to ‘smoke’ any number of illegal narcs. Its the possession, grow, distribute or sell etc is the illegal part!!!

Talk to them, they may not be aware.

It was only after the birth of my neighbours little girl that we found out if we sparked up in the front room they could smell it in theirs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it was perfectly legal to ‘smoke’ any number of illegal narcs.

Good luck with that defence in a court of law.

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time I checked, it was perfectly legal to ‘smoke’ any number of illegal narcs. Its the possession, grow, distribute or sell etc is the illegal part!!!

Good luck smoking it without possessing it!

Actually.. that’s what Bunnyhop is doing isn’t it?

almightydutch
    Free Member

There is no defence as there is no crime Junkyard!!!!

Molgrips, yes I’ll admit it would be tricky…..but still entirely feasable.

avdave2

Smokers homes regularly burn to the ground,just saying like.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Can’t somebody invent an e-cigarette that allows you to electronically smoke dope . Problem solved .

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)’ is closed to new replies.