Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 243 total)
  • Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)
  • Bunnyhop

In light of my friend dying from lung cancer when he’d never smoked, I’m a little fed up with my neighbours and their friends constantly smoking weed.

Several of our friends and relatives and other neighbours have commented on it. It usually starts when they get up, lunch times, afternoons and most of the evening.

Yes I know most of you will say ‘get a life’ and ‘keep your nose out of their business’, however as person who has tried to live healthily and helped others in the past to do so, it really has got to me.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You could move. Are they blowing it in through your letterbox?

Edit: Do you mean you want them to stop because you’re concerned for their health? Well that’s really nice, but they have to want to stop smoking themselves really. You could buy them a vaporizer perhaps?

cranberry
    Free Member

Moving would definitely work, as long as you tell your estate agent you want to have a house next to non-smokers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not sure what you want here is it to persuade them to stop?

IME unless they want to stop they are not going to listen to anyone , let alone a neighbour, suggesting they do.

wiggles
    Free Member

Build a dome over you house with air filtration.

Bunnyhop

JY – Next door but one neighbour is really fed up. She has a one and three year old and because there are so many of them smoking it fills most of our gardens and comes up through the windows.

The dealer comes every Friday and our 79 year old (neighbourhood watch lady) has even noticed.

No they don’t blow it through the letter box, now that would be silly wouldn’t it?

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Surely if it’s weed they are smoking, call the police? If it’s just cigarettes, then shut up and put up I guess? HTH

Side note: I wouldn’t. I’m not that kind of person. Live and let live and all. People can make their own choices on what illegal products to indulge in. We all have our vices.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

.double post.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

You could buy them a vaporizer perhaps?

Do this, take it over and tell them your concerns and be seen as the good guy. If they still don’t stop you could always report them to someone?

PiknMix
    Free Member

If it really is an issue then build a air scrubber, you will need a carbon filter and an inline fan (about a 6″ will do you) and the same diameter ducting. Ironically the same things you need to grow weed.

yunki
    Free Member

I’d be infinitely more worried about pollution from motor vehicles than I would about a bit of (very) passive ganja smoking

whatnobeer speaketh very good sense

Kevevs
    Free Member

shoot them in the face with a handgun, or get over it and accept the fact that other people aren’t like you and like a fag.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Option 1 – kill them
    Option 2 – kill yourself
    Option 3 – kill EVERYONE!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

As somebody who really dislikes smoking I can understand why you would be a bit pissed off but on the other hand you do seem to be exaggerating the effects of this . I would probably just put up with it as I don’t see that you can do much to make the situation better and telling the Police could potentially make your situation worse . And most of us know somebody who’s died of cancer , I don’t think your friend dying really should have any bearing on this situation .

scaled
    Free Member

Maybe bake them some cakes, knock on a couple of hours after they start smoking and ask them nicely?

I’m off for a smoke, in the garden :p

cdoc
    Free Member

And most of us know somebody who’s died of cancer , I don’t think your friend dying really should have any bearing on this situation

Especially as he didn’t smoke…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

poah
    Free Member

Phone the police on them or complain on a bike forum

chambord
    Free Member

I’m convinced people don’t realise how much it smells. Have you mentioned it to them? They might just not know it is inconveniencing you and the other neighbours. Is it only when they do it outside?

I wouldn’t ring the police, it won’t make any difference.

jambourgie
    Free Member

My neighbourly annoyance is power-tools and builders. People flipping houses all around me. As soon as one is ‘done up’ it’s sold and the whole tedious process starts again. From 8am to 6:30pm seven days a week; lawnmowers, strimmers, drills, noisy builders and sh*te commercial radio…

I actually prefer not working from home. I’d gladly trade problems with you.

chambord
    Free Member

If you ever fancy a cheeky one at least you know next door will sort you out

ottocat
    Free Member

get in touch with your local neighbourhood police officer and detail the times that the dealer goes… Nothing like a good drugs raid to put the damper on someone’s day

Junkyard
    Free Member

I still dont see what you can do beyond reporting them to the police * or getting an ioniser for yourself.

* I cannot see this stopping them even if the police act.

Bunnyhop

Thanks for all the helpful replies I will pass them on to all of our other neighbours who are fed up to the back teeth with it.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Live and let live.

Personally, as an ex stoner, I find the smell of weed very pleasant. I’d be fighting the urge to go and share a spliff with them.

PS don’t grass them up. That’s pretty low just for a bit of weed IMO

somafunk

I have fat neighbours (near neighbours, not right next door), not just fat but “Jesus **** christ levels of fat, because of joint problems related to their obscene bulk and the fact that they cannot walk more than a few yards they have been on benefits their entire life and are able to claim the mobility level of DLA and thus they have a nice new car and a mobility scooter, council house is paid for, they have a home help to clean etc as they are slobs and the only exercise they get is waddling to the fridge and somehow managing to lift their podgy arms to their mouths to shovel more food in, all this despite the fact that they are in their mid 30’s.

You’d think this would annoy me but you know what?, i couldn’t give a toss about what they get up to, or how much they claim in benefits – it’s their life so let them lead it however they see fit. You see i have a life all of my own and i’m sure there are many people in my town who’d as soon point the finger at my lifestyle and start their whining and bitching so the best thing to do is just get on with your own life and stop passing judgement on others.

EDIT : as for those who say grass them up to the police , are you being serious? – ladies and gentlemen we have multiple awards for bell-ends and dicks of the year, please form an orderly queue and we’ll brand you with the award award smack bang in the middle of your forehead so everyone can see what an upstanding member of society* you are.

* if by society you mean rat bag grassing weasels, it’s a bit of bloody weed for christ sake.

bearnecessities

CFH has been on the Chateauneuf-du-Pape cooking wine again.

Sadly BH, there isn’t much you can do. As suggested, you can do the friendly intervention, but you’d have to already have a rapport to get an edge in.

Some people smoke fags, drugs, drink, murder kittens and fap themselves to death posting inflammatory bollocks on the internet.

Are they actually a pain, or you just find their habits offensive? (which is obviously understandable from your POV)

EDIT:

the best thing to do is just get on with your own life and stop passing judgement on others.

I don’t like arguments, but that’s not really fair is it. No judgement is being passed, just understandable frustration.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ soma

But supposing they started to smell?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think the OP is morally outraged, I think she just doesn’t like the smell. She has also not passed judgement.

somafunk

bunnyhop mentioned trying to live healthily/trying to help others to do so so i took a fair guess that may infer passing judgement, if not then i was i wrong.

hels
    Free Member

I shared a flat with a bunch of stoners many years ago. I could cope with the smell, all the knives in the house being all burned, the worship of Sonic Youth and rampant paranoia but what I really hated was how boring they were. And all the laughing at really dumb stuff. Guess I was just not on the trip.

The whole flat fell apart in the end as they kept forgetting which bedroom they were meant to sleep in (see above re paranoia) and accusing each other of putting the toaster back in the wrong place etc which lead to huge fall outs and they became briefly entertaining. But mostly they were just boring.

hels
    Free Member

P.S my point above was – have some fun messing with them. Get somebody to park a van with a big aerial on it right outside etc. Use your imagination. They might move out on their own accord if the vibes get bad enough.

bearnecessities

Fair enough. I’m sure she can talk for herself, but I don’t think she was being judgmental; just frustrated, as we would all be in her situation.

jambourgie
    Free Member

and accusing each other of putting the toaster back in the wrong place etc

Could have avoided all the hassle by just keeping the toaster in the front room on the coffee table.

Jeez… are you sure they were stoners? Sound like amateurs to me.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Crimetokers.

andyl
    Free Member

I think you should have a big of fun with them as they will be suffering from a degree of paranoia. Nothing to heavy or illegal, just some little fun pranks 😀

Make sure you know when to stop though so you don’t get caught.

granny_ring

I think the OP & neighbours have the right to sit in their gardens without weed smoke drifting over, especially if there are kids about too.
    Maybe they’re are not aware of how it’s affecting you & the neighbours or maybe they couldn’t give a *hite if it does.
    As to how you deal with it is a tricky one.
    Are they reasonable to talk to, or would they fly off the handle?
    If they are difficult maybe get together with the other neighbours and say something or write them a note?

kimbers

Slip an anonymous note through their letterbox telling them you’ve spotted undercover police sitting in vans opposition their house the day their dealer comes and that you’ve seen a dog unit van parked a few streets away

They’ll be crapping themselves

Sam

Would you be so annoyed if the smell were that of tobacco cigarettes?

funkrodent

My next door neighbour likes to smoke a couple of joints of a day. Usually one in the morning when in the garden and one in the evening in the house. The smell is a bit intrusive if I’m honest. Surprisingly when she is smoking indoors you can smell it really strongly in my front room. God knows how it infiltrates, through the gaps under the floorboards?

I couldn’t really give a toss but it irks me a little bit that I’m sometimes having to explain away the smell to my 8yr old son. That said if they were heavy drinkers who’d know (or care) unless they combined it with loud music/fighting etc.

In the OPs situation, if they are outside constantly smoking strong weed and it is impacting on children then I’d probably have a quiet word. Nothing confrontational, just a request that they don’t smoke weed outside at times when children are playing in the garden. Most people are pretty reasonable and will probably concur, particularly given that they are partaking in an illegal activity.

If they refuse then you have a choice. if they’re obviously psychopathic nutters you may want to leave it. If they’re like the majority of people (arsy occasionally but not really going to push it) then state very calmly that you will have no choice other than to report them to the council. That should do the trick..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)’ is closed to new replies.