Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 243 total)
  • Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)
  • richc
    Free Member

I think that says more about the user than the drug.

That’s a good point, thing is its hard to know who is going to go *odd* and who is going to hang onto their marbles; and **** knows what it would do too small kids minds as its not as if they have the life experience to work out what’s normal and what isn’t.

Personally I would speak to the neighbours and ask them to calm it down a bit and smoke away from the house, as everywhere stinks of weed and it smells like a cannabis factory next door. If that doesn’t work **** ’em and report it to the Police and let them deal with it.

jota180
    Free Member

Biggest risk is when the OP’s kids get to uni and they smell weed and it reminds them of childhood summer days playing in the garden, so they end up loving it, and trying it..

We may have – inadvertently – solved another puzzle here.
    How much cake were you exposed to as a child? 😉

almightydutch
    Free Member

Binners, I think Emma Bradford from your article has it spot on! 😯 :mrgreen:

gobuchul
    Free Member

and your qualifications and/or clinical experience to make that statement are?

Or is that just your layman’s opinion on something you have little real knowledge about?

Are you seriously suggesting that it would be possible to inhale any significant quantity of the smoke from a joint, several metres away in the open air?

If it was the quantities of active ingredients inhaled by the person actually smoking it would be absolutely massive!

What about the smoke from a chimney or garden fire? Far more poisonous and a much greater quantity. Petrol and diesel fumes in a town centre?
    What about filling your car at a petrol station with children in the car? Just think of all the vapour they will be inhaling!

Edukator
    Free Member

When they get to secondary school, Molgrips.

Live and let live, as several have already said.

busydog
    Free Member

Can’t somebody invent an e-cigarette that allows you to electronically smoke dope

[/URL]]

Pax Vaporizor by Ploom — works really well—-err, so I have been told

richc
    Free Member

Are you seriously suggesting that it would be possible to inhale any significant quantity of the smoke from a joint, several metres away in the open air?

Just to play devil advocate; but that sounds very similar to the arguments made by the tobacco industry about passive smoking in general.

Think about it, if you can smell it then you are inhaling it. The dose might be small for an adult as its related to mass; but kids are pretty small so they need much less for the same effect. Personally I don’t know what a *significant* dose is for a child, but surely that’s for the child’s parents to decide? Not you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Molly get a grip and they do not have kids.

How much cake were you exposed to as a child?

none but he could always smell one being cooked somewhere nearby

I am not sure of the impact of cannabis on young children’s health or mental health

Surveys show that the earlier you take the worse the effects
    They have , as yet , not separated out whether early taking is a sign of mental illness or taking it early causes it/ impares development and research is in the pipeline . I would advise against it in under 18’s tbh.

Junkyard, I think you might be surprised what the law thinks about Cannabis

I think you might be surprised to know I taught about it in schools. Can you explain the laws [ highlight them please] that underpin your “understanding ” of the law? You give an opinion that is misleading at best. FWIW you get a roadside/street caution [ dependent on age]these days, they dont even bother taking you to the station, I assume the amounts are relatively small.
    TBH we are starting to discuss what they do now rather than what the law says

gobuchul
    Free Member

Think about it, if you can smell it then you are inhaling it.

I understand how our sense of smell works.

Just because you can smell something doesn’t mean you are inhaling a significant quantity.

My point is that there are far more significant air pollutants that we are exposed to every day and they don’t cause the majority of people to worry.

Short of keeping your children in plastic bubbles how can you protect children from them?

Personally, I think the OP is totally over reacting to what the neighbours are doing. Apart from having to suffer the slight odour what real harm is being done? Get a life is what I would suggest.

PiknMix
    Free Member

There is no way on this green earth that a child would get even remotely high from someone smoking a joint in an open air environment.

richc
    Free Member

There is no way on this green earth that a child would get even remotely high from someone smoking a joint in an open air environment.

devil advocate: What about a group of people smoking joints underneath their open bedroom window? As that’s what the OP is potentially living with.

Also surely it depends on the strength of the weed? As they aren’t all equal in strength

PiknMix
    Free Member

Even if they were honking barneys blue cheese mixed with underground original killer skunk you would not get high from passive smoking when smoked outside, even with it drifting through an open window. Yes it would stink but you would not get high.

gobuchul
    Free Member

devil advocate: What about a group of people smoking joints underneath their open bedroom window? As that’s what the OP is potentially living with.

Also surely it depends on the strength of the weed? As they aren’t all equal in strength

The OP never said about smoking underneath the windows.

Even then, I don’t believe any significant quantity of smoke could actually reach anyone inside. If it could then what about the CO poisoning risk from a neighbours wood burning stove?

flap_jack
    Free Member

I think the key here is ‘Dealer’, ‘Large group’, ‘Morning Noon and Night’.

If my next door neighbour had a quiet toke, no probs.

If he’s running a house for continuous use, get the plods in, it’s not reasonable to live next door to that.

Smokers just don’t get how offensive the smell is (TBH weed is much less offensive, but that’s a different question).

Also, get a decent size barkey dog. That’ll ruin it for them and they’ll go elsewhere.

mattbee

So, because their smoking outside is bothering you, you get a noisy dog to bother them? Perfect STW logic…

richc
    Free Member

The OP never said about smoking underneath the windows.

Well this sorta implies that they are at least smoking near open windows.

there are so many of them smoking it fills most of our gardens and comes up through the windows.

gobuchul
    Free Member

fills most of our gardens

Not very likely is it? Unless it’s something like this?

richc
    Free Member

Not very likely is it? Unless it’s something like this?

I don’t know, I haven’t been to the OP house.

I have been in a few houses with that level of weed smoke coming out the windows though 🙂

uselesshippy
    Free Member

“Fills most of our gardens”
    Do you live next door to cheech and chong? 😀

teasel
    Free Member

Think about it, if you can smell it then you are inhaling it.

I used to work with someone who used this as the reason you should never fart in his presence.

“It’s like minute particles of your shit wafting up my snot box…!”

Oh, how we laughed.

richc
    Free Member

“It’s like minute particles of your shit wafting up my snot box…!”

Well it is isn’t it? What do you think makes the smell?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well it is isn’t it? What do you think makes the smell?

Exactly.

Ingesting shit is not good for you.

However, the tiny quantities that you do when you smell it, do you absolutely no harm.

teasel
    Free Member

Well it is isn’t it?

I’m trying not to give it too much thought TBH.

richc
    Free Member

However, the tiny quantities that you do when you smell it, do you absolutely no harm.

Not really comparing like with like though are you fart smell = few seconds; weed smell for hours as the people are smoking morning, noon and night.

Also I don’t think that farts/sulphur/methane are known to trigger mental illnesses or are they?

teasel
    Free Member

Guys – chill. I was just trying to inject a little humour into the proceedings. I didn’t expect it to take this weird and frankly disturbing twist.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“It’s only a moral obligation if the law is moral. “
    Idiot statement. You question laws in a legitimate way not decide which ones you wish to obey. Don’t wish to obey the laws? Move out of our society.
    And just how is it, for example, smoking dope is some how more acceptable than texting whilst driving?
    Oh of course, some people only want to play by the rules that suit them.
    Failure to report a crime make you anti social and therefore not part of our society. Choose.

andyl
    Free Member

you could start walking around in one of these:

it should freak them out nicely as well as possibly (athough they might be a bit slow) get the message across.

spchantler
    Free Member

the dealer comes round every friday

not real stoners, then, just weekenders…

Edukator
    Free Member

I saw something on the TV recently about trends in the causes of road accidents. Speed and drink going down, but fatigue (cuise controls) and texting/phone use becoming major problems. Automatic testing of everyone in a serious accident in France shows cannabis isn’t such a big issue. So, texting while driving is more anti-social if you limit the analysis to road deaths and injuries. I’ll do some Googling now to try and find the source of the stats.

Edukator
    Free Member

According to La Prévention Routière cannabis only doubles the risk of having an accident involving injury. Phone/texting quadruples the risk.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Somewhat OT…. Edukator, how the hell do you live with the Troll tag? Man, I’d be so pissed I’d have to light one up!

Edukator
    Free Member

Like my pseudo, most people don’t seem to understand, gofasterstripes. The pseudo comes from a German film of the same name “Die Fetten Jahre sind Vorbei”. Here’s the synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes:

“Jan, Peter and Jule are united by their passion to change the state of the world. Jan and Peter become “The Edukators,” mysterious activists who non-violently warn the local rich their “days of plenty are numbered.” Complications follow when vulnerable Jule ends up falling for both young men. An operation gone wrong and what was never intended to be a kidnapping brings the three young idealists face-to-face with the values of the generation in power.”

My eco-warrior, pro-social justice, pro-meritocracy, pro-Euro, hedonistic, carpe diem, assume the consequences of your actions, love and peace message has earned me a “troll” label from the generation in power (though in their photos they look about the same age as me).

The “assume the consequences of your actions” bit means I live with “troll” rather than go through a couple of UK based proxi servers and invent a new persona based on a divorced bearded single speeding Brummy living near the Licky Hills with his boyfriend.

It’s much easier being “Edukator troll”, a bit bit like being a cigarette in a packet with “smoking kills” on the outside. Cigarettes don’t mind being flamed, but nobody is obliged to light up. A sort of STW health warning.

Squidlord
    Free Member

But they’re not smoking in the car. That’s where the baby sleeps.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s all too complicated for me, Ed. I’ll carry on thinking you are a teacher, if you don’t mind.

Junkyard
    Free Member

eco-warrior, pro-social justice, pro-meritocracy, pro-Euro, hedonistic, carpe diem, assume the consequences of your actions, love and peace message

Yes that is why

Just out of interest which ones of these views are encompassed in your dont try rolf harris as it was too long ago and he should not go to jail anyway as he has been punished enough?

somafunk

mattsccm : I’ve just broke 2 laws in the past few hours, and you know what? – it felt mighty fine indeed!.

The laws against criminalisation of drugs and their use have been questioned by people with much higher authority than my own yet this government refuses to enter into a rational discussion, perhaps if you ever researched the reasons why? the drug laws were enforced and brought to bear throughout the civilised western world then you may come to a rather startling conclusion, until that point where you start to question the current situation you are indeed perfectly entitled to hold your views, whatever they may be, However be aware that there are others who do not subscribe to the current ill-informed legalisation and we will continue to administer to our own lives as we see fit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I gave up teqching it to kids as it is impossible to defend other than by stating that is what the law is

Wat drugs do the most harm to society?
    Smoking kills 1/3 of all users
    Alcohol – many illnesses related in circa 75% if violent offences including domestics.

Heroin – kills many users but pretty safe if the supply and quality is known
    Cannabis – only one [ dubious] death ever pretty safe

Etc

they make no sense

Ignoring that prohibition clearly is not working even if you want it to.
    the financial cost of th epolicing – the revenue it could raise is massive
    You can reduce harm by controlling the supply and distribution no tto mention harming organised criminals

Its hard ot think of any compelling reason to explain or justify our currently random drugs laws. Every kid can see this yet many adults cannot.
    Education is the answer but of the older generations who were sold a lie about the dangers and some still believe it.

to be clear nothing is 100% safe and they all have some risks. We do not ban them based on this risk, we do not morally object to drunks [ lets all get pissed instead] who knows why we do then?

bearnecessities

It’s true, and to add my view, I agree with Somafunk here; there is an imbalance as to the attitude towards alcohol and weed. Silly as I’d probably guess that most rational people would agree that alcohol is a more dangerous (in the ‘biggger picture’ sense) that cannabis, but ‘potheads’ are an easy target.

I’m not in the circle by any stretch and do not smoke it myself, but I think what may be harming any rational debate is the potency of pot nowadays – from what I understand, it’s a damned sight stronger than 15 years ago.

flap_jack
    Free Member

irrelevant it’s illegal. it’s exceptionally anti-social.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dunno, feels the same to me 😉

You can just have less, you know!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)’ is closed to new replies.