Home Forums Bike Forum NBD – Downhill build

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • NBD – Downhill build
    dirkpitt74

So took the plunge and decided to build my daughter a DH bike.

After a (very) generous offer from @dc2.0 of a frame for a good price it seemed like a no brainer to give it a go.

IMG-20240522-WA0001

One 2018 Commencal Fury 👍

Rear shock has gone for a service at J-Tech.

After looking around for components I’m picking these up at the weekend while we’re down at the MIJ race:

Screenshot_20240601-141204~2

2019 X-Fusion RV-1 DH Coil

Screenshot_20240601-141230~2

2019 Kore Torsion DH wheelset

I’ve got some 4 pot brakes, getting bars & stem off a mate, so just need to source the following:

– Tyres (27.5)

– Crankset & PF BB

– Group set (think I’ve found 7spd X0 DH)

– Chain guide & bash

And think that’s about it…..

Any recommendations for “all round” DH tyres (was thinking Maxxis Assegai & Minion DHR),, and a Crankset?

Will update as we build.

Any recommendations for “all round” DH tyres (was thinking Maxxis Assegai & Minion DHR),, and a Crankset?

Noice. That’s exactly what I’d run, or a Conti Kryptotal combo. Crankset I’d go for something bombproof and fire and forget like Hope.

sharkattack

I do love a DH bike.

Before I bought cranks I’d splash out on a threaded conversion for that pressfit bottom bracket so you’re not constantly replacing creaky, plastic BB’s.

Then for cranks whatever Shimanos are on sale.

alpin
    Free Member

Every bike is a down hill bike if you’re at the top a the hill.

dartdude
    Free Member

As soon as I saw title, I was audibly going oooooo! What could this be I wonder?

Lovely colour stealthy will look.

Forks came on my Fury and x fusion are great performing. I run Metric RC damper on my mini DH SS AGRO fully. They’re unreal comfy

dartdude
    Free Member

Deffo buy a standard bearing WMFG BB as it will last then and be a spot on fit from get go.

Then some cheapy 2nd Saint cranks.

Microshift for gearing is great shifting ime and vgvfm.

Stickier compound rubbers the better obvs.

dartdude
    Free Member

Might even not need change the coil spring as standard should do just fine . X fusion stated I should’ve been on an x firm though would’ve only bought a firmhad they been in-stock at time

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

Not sure whether to go for full DH casing or DD on the Maxxis as she’s pretty light.

Looking around the DMR Axe cranks seem to be on offer at the moment.

dartdude
    Free Member

DD should be fine though no experience only DH casing as I was heavy heavy.

Yh DMR axe cranks I nearly bought once, look like saints so yh 👍

dartdude
    Free Member

Be aware though that with DMR cranks, have to buy ring and BB separately or that’s what the bastad lbs owner told me. I ducked off at that point as he wanted RRP.

chakaping

Any recommendations for “all round” DH tyres

I’d go for Supergravity Magic Mary front (Ultra Soft purple) and whichever Supergravity Schwalbe tyre appeals (Soft orange) for the rear, Big Betty is fine.

dartdude
    Free Member

Yh MM is a good shout up front. I run soft in super trail though if it were on a DH rig then deffo ultra soft.

Just don’t expect it to last that long

munrobiker
    Free Member

In a PF92 bottom bracket shell, which that one is, I’d avoid any crank with a 30mm axle (which includes the DMRs). There just isn’t space for the bearings and they inevitably fail quickly. Saints, Zees and possibly the RaceFace Chester are your best bet.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all, have found a Zee/Saint bits that I’ll collect in the next couple of days too.

So cranks are standard Shimano spindle diameter.

Which is the correct Wheels Manufacturing BB that I need as I’m getting a bit confused looking at them! – need PF30 / 83mm with Shimano axle.

Tyres I’ll have a look around and see what I can get.

Thanks

dartdude
    Free Member

V good point Munro. Bravo 👏

24mm axle though don’t quote me …

WMFG should have a contact form – GETONIT! 😁

chiefgrooveguru

Grid Gravity T9 Hillbilly / Butcher could be a good bet too. Or Cannibal.

dirkpitt74

Regarding BB’s it BB92 Press Fit, not PF30…….

I’ve come across this from Token:

Token BB

LINKY

squirrelking
    Free Member

For tyres I’d still be going for DH casings, I was 10st soaking wet in armour and standard cases would just result in ruined runs.

Don’t get hung up on DH drivetrains, a 9sp road mech and cassette did fine BITD, you’ll still have a chain guide and NW ring to keep it together. My Tues has a 10sp Zee and road cassette because that’s what it came with.

dirkpitt74

Thanks for the advice.

Picked up a rear mech (thanks @weeksy ) and wheels & forks from the MIJ Downhill race yesterday, most other parts have either arrived (soft fork spring, cranks & shifter) or “in the post” (Token BB, Headset, pedals & grips) so hopefully by the end of the week I’ll have the majority to be able to start the build.

dirkpitt74

Right then, here’s the final build spec:

2018 Commencal Furious

Reach adjust headset +6mm

Token threaded PF BB92 bottom bracket

X-Fusion RV-1 forks with Soft spring

Kore 27.5 wheels with Conti Kryptotal F/R

Tektro Orion 4 pot Brakes & Superstar 203mm rotors

Shimano Zee cranks

Shimano Saint 10 speed shifter & mech

Sam Hill 40mm direct mount stem

Syncros 800mm bars (will be cut down)

DMR camo Death Grips

HT components pedals – OD green

Gusset R Series camo saddle

Started building it today, but haven’t finished as I got too hot & bothered trying to get the tyres on lol

Will post up some pictures later.

dirkpitt74

Screenshot_20240624-085304Screenshot_20240624-085325~2Screenshot_20240624-085338Screenshot_20240624-085405Screenshot_20240624-085423Screenshot_20240624-085442Screenshot_20240624-085458Screenshot_20240624-085513Screenshot_20240624-085529

sharkattack

Looks good. Can’t wait to build stuff like this for junior but he’s still on a balance bike.

weeksy

Awesome job :)   The journey begins now :)

Tracey

Looking good 👍

dirkpitt74

OMG how hard are Continental Kryptotal-b’stard tyres to get on?

Ended up knackering the rim tape on one wheel getting it on – was even harder to get back off!!

A couple of snapped tyres levers and a thumb trapped between bead and rim made for an interesting hour last night lol

Just brakes to bleed and shock to re-fit now.

GeForceJunky

Those brake levers are way too close to the grips, don’t forget to adjust them for small hands as the reach is also massive on them. I see so many kids riding with badly setup brake levers. For a ‘small’ person you probably want to cut the bars down a bit as well.

dirkpitt74

Thanks for the comments.

Will sort final lever position once I’ve bled them and cut bars down.

They’re actually more onboard now as I swapped the shifter to the grip side.

weeksy

OMG how hard are Continental Kryptotal-b’stard tyres to get on?

On days like yesterday , leave them in the sun for an hour. I leave on top of the van so it gets both sides pretty hot and softens them up nicely.

dirkpitt74

It’s finished!!

Well it was finished a couple of weeks back as Daughter wanted it for our holiday to Scotland.

D

Her first ride on it was the skills area at Nevis Range, and then the World Cup track!

Missed out a few of the gnarlier sections and gap jump.

She seems quite at home on the bike, so we also got her a 1/2 day’s coaching at Nevis a couple of days later.

By the end of it the only thing she didn’t have a go at was the river gap.

The coach was well impressed with her.

Not fast runs but all very clean.

So tomorrow is first race on the DH bike – local race at Stile Cop.

We’ve been up a few times the last week or so, so she has a good grasp of the course.

We’re off to Dyfi in a couple of weeks and then the MIJ races.

All in it’s cost just shy of £800, which I think is pretty impressive.

*****Pictures not working ? ******

dirkpitt74

dirkpitt74

Fort William World Cup DH track:

Click to play:

Coach Antoine:

Stile Cop practice (click to play):

Free Photo Sharing by ThumbSnap

dirkpitt74

Picked up an ‘upgrade’ yesterday at the local DH race.

Suntour Voro coil shock courtesy of WC racer Dan Slack (Currently on Pole Racing).

I’ll need to fix yesterday race damage first though before we start on the upgrades lol

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.