Home Forums Bike Forum NBD – A New Hope

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • NBD – A New Hope
  • teethgrinder

Finally got my hands on the HB.916 I ordered now that there’s an Invisiframe kit for the H2 size.

This thing is long. So long I need a new rear brake hose.

ta11pau1

Use the ‘hotlink for forums’ link on post IMG to get bigger pics 😉

That deserves bigger pics! Very nice!

Mmmmmm bare carbon *drool

teethgrinder

Cheers! Done with moar big

matt_outandabout

That looks fun.

What are the apples?

Not personally a big hope fan though high pivots are excellent on DH frames as I know.

My eyes they buuuurn

(Soz to be a killjoy)

Enjoy mind 😁

dc1988

Nice, have they done away with all the proprietary parts that were on their first bike?

weeksy

That’s a proper proper looking thing there !

teethgrinder

All normal standards on this one. 148x12mm rear rather than 130x17mm, PM brake not radial (TBH, radial is better). T47 30mm BB and you can get Dub adaptors, SRAM udh, 31.6mm post (mine a 30.9mm shimmed)

LAT

thread title of the century.

bike isn’t too bad, either.

rOcKeTdOg

What are the apples?

+1

teethgrinder

What are the apples?

They are a small, red, edible fruit. But that’s not important right now.

(I have no idea… My dad planted the tree. There’s a peach tree to the right of it but it’s never bore fruit. But you should see the plum tree to the left-it’s almost falling over due to the weight of fruit)

chiefgrooveguru

That is so badass.

Also it’s nice to see Hope (as well a Trek and probably some others) making these split pivot type high pivots – about a year before the first one came out I suddenly realised it was the best way to get the high single pivot axle path without the very high brake squat of a high single pivot. Clearly some people in the industry realised that too!

sharkattack

Nice, have they done away with all the proprietary parts that were on their first bike?

That was my favourite thing about the HB160. It showed how neat and tidy the rear end of a bike could be if you started with a clean sheet rather than a mess of competing standards.

pigyn
    Free Member

Totally, and they could have doubled down and stuck with it, but they got nothing but hassle and internet slagging for it so what’s the point. My 130 has the narrow rear end, but not the radial brake mount. At least now they are a viable frame sale even if you don’t want to run all Hope kit. I have set up/poked at/drooled over four of these 916s over the last few weeks, they look amazing. Had all three paint finishes as well

dc1988

It was a good idea to show how things could be done but no one got on board with it so there must be some owners who might like to upgrade certain parts but can’t. I think this bike will appeal to the masses more, I think most people like to tinker and upgrade so using standard parts will help that.

teethgrinder

I’ve been out once so far, mainly to see if cockpit and seat all ok and to get used to 29″. This is my first 29″ bike and first proper LLS, as the HB160 was really only low (slackened up nearly another degree with 170mm forks).

Seems to climb ok with less bob than the 160, even with the coil compared to the X2, and that was with the seat about 15-20mm too low (I’ve changed the OneUp from the 190mm i was running back up to 210mm now). General suspension feel is the clichéd “magic carpet”.

Will be going out more to get used to it… Been on the 160 for just over 4 years so there’ll be a lot of muscle memory to delete, but impressions so far are good. You can see why these things are racking up podiums.

If building a frame:
    Steerer tube is 15mm shorter than the 160, so I had to cut down my old 36’s the same amount and re-tapped the EDC threads.
    If you’re using your old brakes, buy a new rear hose – this thing is long.
    Don’t route the hose from the caliper to the chainstay too tight – the hose is under tension on compression.

hooli

That’s a seriously good looking bike. Congrats

desperatebicycle

Pron

desperatebicycle

Pic 1 & 2 are bugging me. Did you move the branch or crop the photo?

sharkattack

I’ve had a much better look at these today and can’t see anything I don’t like. Can’t find any reviews though.

Did you have a test ride before shelling out all that cash?

kayak23

Are we not mentioning the ‘lawn’?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Better not, or then we’d be compelled to examine the fence

zerocool

Very pretty. I’d love to try one out

teethgrinder

I’m making no apologies for the lawn and fence. I’d rather ride my bike!

No test rides as there’s been no demo bikes until the last couple of weeks. Did go down to the factory and test sat on an H2 & H3. I’m 180cm and went H2. LLS just feels odd at first, but I’m sure it’ll become the new normal after a few more rides

sharkattack

I’ve just been comparing the geometry to my old G16 and even the H4 comes up a little short in the reach and WB. I’m 187cm and I’d need a good bounce around on a H3 and H4 before I made a decision. The H3 is a touch bigger than the large Norco I’m on now. That was all I could get in the middle of lockdown but I’ve learned to love how agile it is.

I won’t be buying anything this year but this is definitely on the shortlist.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.