Home Forums Bike Forum NBD: 1980’s British Leyland Edition

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • NBD: 1980’s British Leyland Edition
    matt_outandabout

After some faffage over what bike on here, I started looking in earnest for a second hand option or two.

This then popped up in my FB feed last night, and by 10:30 this morning a deal was done.

It’s 2 years old, but I’m told spent 18 months sat in Orange HQ as a display bike. Since then it’s been ridden 5 times… Feels and looks new.

I said I wanted:

Geometry and handling above all else.

I think I want a shorter travel, maybe 120/130mm FS, but I do like a nice HT … ?

Decent damping – my current MoCo Yari’s annoy me, I think I prefer Fox cheaper dampers over cheaper RS dampers.

Decent brakes.

Durable & serviceable.

29er.

Don’t mind Deore level gears, they only wear out anyway.

Prefer Shimano.

Mission successful.

Here’s my new bike:

360_385ef8a2537e8a244fb15ef93235b730

And here is a comparative model. Note the similarities in design, colour, and fortunes of the company around the time of production:

PXL_20240914_135250354PXL_20240914_135239768

matt_outandabout

If anyone is interested, it’s an odd spec, but one I might have chosen myself:

Lyric Select & Deluxe Select

WTB ST i30 wheelset

MT5 brakes

Deore gears (will swap my nearly new SLX crank onto it).

Carbon bars (bx?) and Nukeproof stem (I might change for 10mm longer)

KS Lev Integra

Too wide an SDG saddle

2.4 Minion DHF/DHR

PXL_20240914_135313456PXL_20240914_135300196PXL_20240914_134401625

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Lawn needs feeding

matt_outandabout

Lawn needs feeding

TBF, the condition of the tree is a worry too…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The colour is an acquired taste,  certainly. But other than that; sweet bike bruh

rOcKeTdOg

The Princess (and ambassador) were actually good cars. The materials and build quality not so much. My 1st GFs dad had a princess, surprising amount of room on the back seat…. cough.

Great colour bike, I did like my five but it was always let down my the awful manitou swinger rear shock

towpathman

That looks very nice

matt_outandabout

It’s not the colour I would have picked…but it’s the ride that counts. ?

kayak23

Sick car. Bike looks ok too.

Houns

No squarcle handlebars, I’m oot.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The materials and build quality not so much.

Anyone else confused about this?  So apart from the parts, and the way they were assembled, the car was good ?

not the colour I would have picked…but it’s the ride that counts. ?

That seems to be rocketdog’s view on his inlaws’,s  car too….

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like that, looks stealthy. Enjoy.

matt_outandabout

That seems to be rocketdog’s view on his inlaws’,s car too….

Pmsl

thols2

The Princess (and ambassador) were actually good cars.

null

chestrockwell

Do I win a prize for suggesting a Stage Evo on the other thread? Looks great and be interested to hear how it rides as I may be in the market for one.

rOcKeTdOg

Anyone else confused about this? So apart from the parts, and the way they were assembled, the car was good ?

Not sure how I can make it more simple to understand so I’ll just repeat it in the hope you’ll read it slowly and take it in or maybe ask a responsible adult to go through it with you in person….design was great for it’s time, but the materials and build quality didn’t match it, they are separate things you see.

See also series 3 land rovers from 73-75, great design for the purpose but LR used awful quality steel that led to premature corrosion.

jkomo

It’s a great colour.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ah ok. So the designs were great.

But the cars themselves were a bit shit

they are separate things you see.

Mm, quite clearly

I guess you could at least sit in them and console yourself with the fact that the car would have been good if someone different had assembled it….

…from materials other than the ones they had actually used

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nice bike, the light weight and simplicity do appeal to me…the ‘hearing aid beige’ colour not so much but wouldn’t stop me.  In fact my Squatch isn’t that far off the same hue

singlespeedstu

Pebbles need grading and rearrange.

snotrag

Loved my Stage Evo. Great choice!

matt_outandabout

Do I win a prize for suggesting a Stage Evo on the other thread?

I think you get something from the mods. Go chat to them. —–wink emoji—–

tall_martin

You did well if you got that for your budget!

I loved my segment but could never get the super short shock just so. These are very similar to the segment, with a longer shock. Bonus!

chiefgrooveguru

That’s great, I’d love to have a reason to get a short travel modern Orange but I don’t have enough time to ride the two bikes I own and neither of them are leaving so…

I’m normally a super bright colour person but I think that works in all its ‘70s dullness. 😉

suspendedanimation

It’s a great colour

mildred

They’re awesome bikes that are far more capable than the travel numbers would suggest; I saw a French fella race last years Megavalanche on one.

matt_outandabout

You did well if you got that for your budget!

Well under budget, like not worth bothering with a new bike….and it came with £100 Burgtech pedals I don’t want…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Life’s too short, never mind.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout that’s an interesting colour, never actually seen that before. If you were the type into detailing your bike it would be a nightmare, you’d never know what was muck and what wasn’t. On the flipside if you’re not that person it’s going to look much the same whether you clean it to within an inch of its life or just give it a splash with a hose. I approve on that basis.

superstu
    Free Member

Nice ?

jamezee

Nice, tho I prefer the Austin Ambassador Y reg, a far superior vehicle.

chestrockwell

I think you get something from the mods. Go chat to them.

Yay!

halifaxpete

I still have a massive soft spot for an Orange, colour looks great with the tanwalls.

lister

Nice bike. I reckon the Burgtec pedals you don’t want would go well on my new bike which is coming this week 😉

Paul-B

Great stuff, I actually really like the colour! I have a grey one, its a great bike 🙂

mattrockwell
    Free Member

Nice find! Seems like a great solution to your list of requirements.

I’m into the Princess chic too, although I reckon my Moxie in Allegro sludge is still even more peak British Leyland. I’d be prepared to concede though if you fitted an actual black vinyl ‘roof’ to your top tube…

Rubber_Buccaneer

You’ve got a few rides in now so how happy are you with the bike @matt_outandabout ?  This thread led to me looking at the Orange website then the sale page and, well, a 2022 frame and shock for a bargain price now waiting for me to assemble.  Hope they’re good 🙂

chakaping

I remember your what bike thread – and I reckon I probably recommended one of these too.

Honestly think it’ll be perfect for you. I absolutely love mine:

matt_outandabout

You’ve got a few rides in now so how happy are you with the bike

Really enjoying it.

It feels like more than 120mm rear. The Lyric Select’s are way, way better than my MoCo Yaris. The MT5’s are really great feel – not as snappy as Shimano, but much better feel and good power. I need a narrower saddle, I’ve dainty butt bones.

I’m still upping rear pressure – at 25% sag it’s too plush and bottoming out too much. I’m up to around 20% sag and it’s getting better.

Tyres feel ‘too much’ for my level of riding, I’m wondering if something like XR4’s or latest Nobby Nic’s might suit me better, and not feel like velcro uphill…I also want a tougher rear carcass as I’ve pinch punctured already.

I remember the feeling of using the chain pull on the rear suspension to get the bike up and moving, and letting off brakes and pedalling on rougher stuff. The steering is needing more input from me, but I’m learning quickly. I feel I’m riding it on the fork a bit (like a hardtails), and that isn’t a bad thing…

It’s daaaaam fast.

Vortexracing

I love my Stage Evo, and you are right, they are fast !!!!

I’m wondering if something like XR4’s or latest Nobby Nic’s might suit me better,

I have a couple of Bontrager XR4 29 x 2.4 Team Issue, Tan walls I’m not using if you are interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.