• This topic has 156 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rkk01.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • My my democracy isn't now fair shocker for the losing side
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Baron is the new Chew :mrgreen:

mrwhyte
    Free Member

“tyranny of the majority”

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

I now know I’ve gone too far. Apologies.

bencooper
    Free Member

It seems that the UK’s credit rating has just been down-graded.

Which, because of the size of the national debt, means a rise in interest payments that’ll wipe out any savings from not contributing to the EU.

That £350M per week for the NHS? Gone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which means we are behind before we start?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

oldtalent – Member
    Wahhh its so unfair that other dont share my minority views.
    Looking forward to the usual gobby rentamob commies getting a truncheoning in London late

Will the truncheoners be collectively wearing shirts of any particular shade of ummm, ooh let’s say -“tan”?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

still, mustn’t grumble, eh…

I’ve never felt so much like grumbling in my life.

I’ve had my pre grumble here:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

[video]https://youtu.be/8Jz5A51ttTQ[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bullying, lies and elitism is not the preserve of the liberal left. Take a look at last nights Newsnight and watch the Dan Hannan lie about immigration and Suzanne Evans lie about the NHS funding. Then fast forward to the last segment and watch the double whammy of David Starkey demonstrating sneering elitism and bullying all in one go.

Or you could rely on the Sun, Mail, Express, bloke down the pub or your racist cousin on Facebook to be politically informed, which is how the majority of the population function.

dannyh
    Free Member

I can’t wait for the Leavers to start complaining about how unfair it is when their employer, hit by rising costs of goods and unable to raise prices because people have less money after paying their mortgage, starts to put the squeeze on employees.

Who do you think will take the hit? If the owner has scruples then he/she will take a hit themselves, perhaps reducing their income from £100k a year to £75k. But there is nowhere near enough savings there, so they start to make redundancies. Even if you are lucky enough to escape the cull, you suddenly find yourself with twice as much work to do and no rise in pay.

The owner survives, they have taken a hit, but they are still comfortably off. Meanwhile the workforce either go crazy through over-work or are laid off.

Obviously just a hypothetical example……

ninfan
    Free Member

Mebbe’s try telling that to some former Cadbury employees? Ask how being in the EU protected their jobs?

dannyh
    Free Member

Incidentally, how many loaves of bread does ten units of blind optimism and wishful thinking buy these days?

Does anyone out there understand how the world works?

aracer
    Free Member

five, and two fishes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what does a group hug get us?

I reckon it’s not as much as a high 5 and a YeHa

mooman
    Free Member

A lot of those that voted Remain appear to be a bunch of nasty spoilt bitter types.

The name calling all appeared to come from the Remain side. Calling those who had a different opinion as thick, racist and xenophobic, and worse of all now – they appear to trying to divide young generation against older generation.
    My FB news feed is full of bitter whinging by those that voted for Remain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The name calling all appeared to come from the Remain side. Calling those who had a different opinion as thick, racist and xenophobic,

To be fair leave did have a lot of those and the messages in places were exactly that. When you have leave voters explaining that they feel tricked and lied to because they didn’t bother to read up then it does reinforce it.

Anyway wait until the wheels really come off, can you hang on for 2-3 years of uncertainty?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Mooman – careful, they’re also the only intelligent ones 🙂

colournoise

What if “bitter whinging” is actually just the immediate knee-jerk expression of the fear, disappointment and uncertainty some of those who voted for Remain are feeling?

Had the result gone the other way, I suspect the reaction from the ‘losing’ side would have been pretty much the same.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve personally pulled people up for it several times. I’m not sure what pointing it out as a a general issue adds to the debate though – are you somehow tarring us all with that brush?

BoardinBob

Whilst you didn’t call anyone or all the Leave voters thick racists you are implying it. The fact you don’t see that as cause for embarrassment is err embarrassing

No, this is embarrassing. Here are thick racists. I have many, many more videos I can share

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153842562976939&id=6622931938

I don’t want to be associated with these people. I don’t want people from overseas to look at that and think they represent me. Ironically I’m intolerant of intolerant people

headfirst
    Free Member

If this had been a ballot for strike action then any strike taking place off the back of this result would be illegal.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

dannyh – Member
    I can’t wait for the Leavers to start complaining about how unfair it is when their employer, hit by rising costs of goods and unable to raise prices because people have less money after paying their mortgage, starts to put the squeeze on employees.

Who do you think will take the hit? If the owner has scruples then he/she will take a hit themselves, perhaps reducing their income from £100k a year to £75k. But there is nowhere near enough savings there, so they start to make redundancies. Even if you are lucky enough to escape the cull, you suddenly find yourself with twice as much work to do and no rise in pay.

The owner survives, they have taken a hit, but they are still comfortably off. Meanwhile the workforce either go crazy through over-work or are laid off.

POSTED 29 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Want a less hypothetical example..?
    Mrs H1ghland3r works for an international consultancy firm, despite them having a round of redundancies over the last 6 months she had been working her ass off to ensure that none of the 100 or so in her team were effected by having enough work for them. As a direct result of the vote, her company lost one contract worth over £50 million and were informed that another worth over £25 million is at ‘grave’ risk. As a direct result of this, despite her doing everything she can to save them, she is going to be forced to start informing people next week that their jobs are being considered for redundancy…
    These contracts were with countries that operate across the EU and they are unwilling to enter into a contract that will extend beyond the ‘2 year exit period’ because of the nightmare of paperwork and costs might ensue from dealing with a company that is outside of Europe…
    That’s a concrete example of what’s happening less than 24 hours after the vote.. It takes an insane optimist to think it’s going to get better rather than worse… 🙁

tomkerton
    Free Member

Why don’t we all try to make the very best of what the country has voted for? There isn’t a call for a re-vote straight after every general election.

deepreddave
    Free Member

aracer – Member

mooman » The name calling all appeared to come from the Remain side.

I’ve personally pulled people up for it several times. I’m not sure what pointing it out as a a general issue adds to the debate though – are you somehow tarring us all with that brush?[/quote]

Well done you and I’m not tarring all Remain voters. I think it’s reasonable to challenge shameful comments in any discussion where one side dissuades the other from engaging because they’re incapable of mature polite debate.

BoardinBob – Member
    No, this is embarrassing. Here are thick racists. I have many, many more videos I can share

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153842562976939&id=6622931938

I don’t want to be associated with these people. I don’t people from overseas to look at that and think they represent me. Ironically I’m intolerant of intolerant people

You can be anti immigration without being racist. You can discriminate without being racist. Something non Facebook to read Archbishop disagrees with Boardinbob? .

All in the spirit of interesting debate.

dannybgoode

But we’d get revote in 4 years and if enough people think it’s not working out how they expected they can vote someone else in.

If this doesn’t work out as VL have said it will and if the ‘scaremongering’ Remain are proved right we’re ****.

There’s no going back-this is it. Unless we have an immediate revote.

deviant
    Free Member

Nonsense, there was a vote in 1975 to enter the EU (or EEC as it was known then)…. I’m sure they’ll be a vote to re-enter at some point in the future perhaps under a Labour government…..personally I’d sooner see the whole thing dissolve and go back to nation’s states just trading with each other under favourable conditions….the rest of the beaurocratic nonsense can get lost, we don’t need a European parliament for example!

mickmcd
    Free Member

yeah thinking about it though if a country is in such a tenuous balance over 350mil in the grande scheme of things

we were pretty **** before, now we are slightly more **** it gone either way at any point with or without misled morons taking to the poles and wundering wtf have I done after…id have said its like barebacking a hooker, could i get the cat aids or not get the cat aids

bikebouy
    Free Member

It seems that the UK’s credit rating has just been down-graded. The wheels are beginning to come off the train. Public abuse of non-white people in England by racist thugs has begun. My worry is that it will soon get bad enough for the formerly reasonable and polite 48.1% to move from anxiety to hate and start referring to the Leave voters as “Those **** arseholes”.

Yup, that’s already what I’m doing.

Makes logical sense, if you voted ‘out’ you are an areshole.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just took a quick trawl through the EU referendum thread prior to Friday and I couldn’t find anyone complaning about the fairness of the proposed referendum or problems with the democratic process or the fact that old,uneducated non Guardian readers would have the opportuniy to vote.

divenwob
    Free Member

And all of this will help in what way?

Gary_C

The closeness of the result should render it null and void, with it acting as an advisory, rather than a mandate.

Would you be saying the same if the result had gone 52/48 to remain?

philxx1975
    Free Member

do you really need an answer to that or were you being rhetorical.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes I would. Too close to make such an important decision, either way.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s a win-win for me. Either we get this Spitfires roaring overhead economic success story, or I am proved right in about 2-3 years when we haven’t got a pot to piss in.

Of course, being proved right will mean higher than necessary unemployment, erosion of the rights of ordinary people and a far worse-off and more divided country. But every cloud and all that.

As I have said elsewhere, I’m leaving the name-calling behind. That is too easy on the people who have put us in this mess. So, you brave political warriors, let’s hear The Plan.

I’m here, ready and willing to work hard and contribute as I always have.

I wonder how much of this lashing out by the Leavers is borne out of an impending sense of being held to account.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Gary_C – Member
    The closeness of the result should render it null and void, with it acting as an advisory, rather than a mandate.

POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Now that’s an interesting point.. Given that the vote essentially boiled won to ‘carry on as we are’ or ‘make a fundamental change to the way the country functions and co-exists with its neighbors’.. I don’t actually think it would have been unreasonable to required the burden of an exceptional majority on the the brexit vote, say 60% with say a proviso that any vote over 50% initiates an automatic repeat vote within a set period, say 2-5 years.

Having said all that, that’s not how it was done, The Remain campaign had the opportunity to put such a thing forward and didn’t so it’s not really on to whinge about it now. I think the fundamental problem and the feelings of betrayal and dissillusionment stem from the fact that no-one, on either side thought that Brexit would actually win.. Talk about underestimating the electorate… 🙄

footflaps

dannybgoode

Further, to remain as we are would allow for a future referendum to leave so it should not be the end game for the VL camp.

This is the end game for remain on a very narrow majority.

We are all being stripped of our European citizenship, some of us are having to give up their political ideals.

If labour win or the Tories win an election you do not suddenly stop becoming a supporter of your favored pay unless you choose to.

In this case I am having my citizenship removed very much against my will and can no longer really be involved in European politics so yes the bar should be high.

igm

Not whinging just doing what I can to prevent the leavers trashing the country I love.

Which isn’t much, but there’s still a chance to save the country prior to Article 50, and even after the chance isn’t zero.

Calling on the local pro-leave MP to resign (his constituents voted to stay).
    Signed the petition- over 1.6 million signatures now (to put it in perspective leave got 1.25 million more votes than remain.
    Hoping that the deal we get involved free trade and free movement of people (which is likely if we get anything, but we may not) – I can live without farm subsidies.
    Watching Sturgeon trying to look after her people – agree or disagree with how she’s doing it, at least she’s doing what she’s paid to do.
    Considering emigration options for if it really goes badly.

philxx1975
    Free Member

It seems once you have had a referendum you can just carry on and have as many as needed till you get what you want, or is this just in Scotland. I wonder if they did cut scotland loose how long it would take for them to tank, now the oils gone how much export demand is there for shortbread and meerkats in tartan

I mean even the Welsh have better trail centres, which is the important thing

Moses

RichinBish – You said (on p1)

What I’d like to know is why the lefty liberal elite hate our country so much

What makes you think that? Do answer, please…
    I love it so much that I think other people ought to benefit from it.

richinbish
    Free Member

Saturday, 25 June 2016
    Soon be Monday
    Say what you like about David Cameron – and I am as guilty as anybody of slagging the man off in recent weeks – but his measured, if delayed, reaction to the glorious news was exactly right. He blamed nobody, threatened nothing and sucked it up to say it was time now to regroup, rebuild and get back to business. He was also honest enough to understand the mood in much of the country and step down gracefully. The time for fighting is over.

What a shame millions of others could only wallow in their cosseted, wished-for misery. The level of whining butt-hurt out there yesterday was off the scale. And as it was already at a cosmic level beforehand, that was fuckwittery from an alternative universe. Having ramped up the fear and hatred over the last few months how dare the sky not fall in? It was as if they were demanding their homes be invaded by jack-booted Stormtroopers to evict their freezing cold babies into the streets and disappointed that no immigrants had been herded into cattle trucks to be deported… via the ‘showers’.

The BBC did its best to help. In every news bulletin it was reported that the economy had tanked, that it had ‘plunged’ over a cliff and the pound was now worth less than a Weimar Republic mark in 1924. Such cataclysmic reporting had its own momentum, like a supertanker trying to change course; when both Sterling and the FTSE bounced back to show relatively modest changes on the day this went almost entirely unreported, so generation snowflake continued to rend garments, gnash teeth and look for somebody to blame.

In the Labour Party the fault was that of Jeremy Corbyn and his fellows lined up to stab him in the front for somehow telepathically causing former Labour core voters to embrace the hate and become racist Faragistas. Nicola Sturgeon lost no time in pointing out that, just as in sports, Scotland hated England so much they would support foreign rule from any other source. And across the world, from luvvies in Los Angeles to irrelevant, forgotten tax exiles in tropical climes berated the people who live in cold, wet Britain for exercising their democratic right.

But most of all it was ‘the old people’ who took the flak. The old people whipped the rug out from under the country’s youth and condemned generations to penury. It was the old people, who fought wars and rebuilt the country and lobbied for workers’ rights that, having taken advantage of all they had gained, now wanted to pull up the rope ladder after them. It was the vicious, nasty, bitter and twisted old people that want to turn Britain into Nazi Germany. No, really. What makes it all the more delicious is that fully 75% of the 18-25 year olds who are whining about the old people denying them their promised future didn’t even bother to turn out and vote… and of those who did vote, a third of them voted for Brexit.

It’s just not fair! Old people are to blame!
    Man up, snowflake!

But the weekend will come and go. The celebration barbecues will be had, or the wakes will be held and there will be some thick heads in the morning. Then, on Monday it will be business as usual, except for one thing. The future is now entirely in your hands. Embrace what is and stop mourning for the illusion that was. And while the rest of Europe is having its own long dark nights of the soul and the inevitable decline of the EU hastens, be glad that we are on the outside, roll up those sleeves and start digging for victory.
    Batsby at 05:26

Copied and pasted but summed up eloquently

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘My my democracy isn't now fair shocker for the losing side’ is closed to new replies.