• This topic has 156 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rkk01.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • My my democracy isn't now fair shocker for the losing side
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

It seems to be if your on a losing side the democratic process is unfair in the modern era, I’m sure this used to be why things got put to a vote so the majority can decide, you know a bit like the justice system trial by your peers, wether they be trackie wearing simpletons or these supposedly elite university educated grads ,but the elephant in the room seems to be ,if we lose we aren’t going to take it sturgeon seems to think she has been hard done by and gone all , “we shall not be ruled” I’m surprised she hasn’t thought about suing those that voted leave

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pick a thread, any thread….

theboatman
    Free Member

This thread is useless without pics.

allthepies
    Free Member

TheBrick
    Free Member

It would be the same either way it went as it was always going to be close. Really the referendum only clearly shows a massive division of the country.

The thing that makes me angry is that the evidence was massively on the remain side but people went with opinion. There was not a fine balance of leave vs stay on the evidence front it was massively to stay but yet the results was very close. Makes you realise how stupid the majority are.

sparksmcguff

Think you’re confusing unfair with unjust. The vote was fair, the result (as the brick identified given the leave campaigns lies) was unjust.

psycorp
    Free Member

Makes you realise how stupid the majority are.

Exactly.

PrinceJohn

If an election was decided but such a small margin one party wouldn’t have absolute power, why such a small majority can make such an important decision, stay or go seems bonkers to me.

mikey74
    Free Member

Princejohn + 1

Spot on. The closeness of the result should render it null and void, with it acting as an advisory, rather than a mandate.

The brick and sparks + 1 as well

Speeder

A Few Winston Churchillisms that seem very apt

mattyfez

I feel for the Scots, they voted to stay in a european uk, not an independent one.

loddrik
    Free Member

This is what the SNP must have been desperate for. I’ll bet they were doing somersaults when the result came in.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I also voted to stay in a European UK. Does that mean I can be Scottish?

Not sure how the world can be a better place when we’re building boarders rather than removing them.

ajantom

Wrong forum, bad spelling, poor punctuation and syntax. Who’s the idiot?

richinbish
    Free Member

What I’d like to know is why the lefty liberal elite hate our country so much , it’s weird and from reading this forum for some reason a lot of mountain bikers fall into this category . The BBC is rotten to the core and seems to be brainwashing a lot of the public . All the doom and gloom hasn’t happened , the pound has rallied already and Europe is starting to take a softer approach . They are so desperate they are saying lower the voting age to 16 , to people who have never had to pay rent / a mortgage , bills , car insurance , prescriptions , university fees , people who don’t know about real life , people who want to stay in Europe so that they can work in a bar in Spain for six months …. well f###ing yippee .the lefties say we won’t be able to trade anymore , when we all know you can buy from china/Russia / America on bloody ebay for a start , I can send money to my long lost relatives in Nigeria who email me regularly with consummate ease . We live in a global entity . I’m in my mid forties and hopefully I’ve still got another 30 years plus to live and I’ve voted for my future as well , a future where I don’t want a bunch of unelected Eurocrats to sit in a panelled room deciding what emissions my car must have , what colour yellow my bananas should be , what wattage vacuum cleaner I must use , well tough titties the public have spoken and enough is enough . One last thing , don’t get me started about the fact that the whole debacle of a European Parliament moves for one month of the a year to Strasbourg at billions of cost to appease the French .

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

. All the doom and gloom hasn’t happened ,

We haven’t even started leaving yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Putting hand up as not a lefty liberal elite to say WTF? BBC rotten? Maybe your perspective is from an extreme?
    The campaign to leave and remain spanned all sides of politics with the right and left being indistinguishable at times. Unless by lefty you mean tolerant and able to see the benefits of EU cooperation and how over history more has been achieved by working together than by going it alone. ON top of that how leaving does virtually no good for the UK but costs us a lot in real terms.

Your post reads much like a UKIP leaflet, high on emotion, blame and anger but with very little actual real substance.

5thElefant
    Free Member

This is what the SNP must have been desperate for. I’ll bet they were doing somersaults when the result came in.

I doubt it. I’m sure they could get an exit vote now, but then what? They’d be instantly bankrupt.

They can’t call a referendum until oil prices balance the books.

BoardinBob

I don’t want a bunch of unelected Eurocrats to sit in a panelled room deciding what emissions my car must have , what colour yellow my bananas should be , what wattage vacuum cleaner I must use

More mis-informed nonsense

Emissions? Yes, god forbid we should worry about the environment and it’s impact on our health

Bananas? There’s no law on the colour. There are regulations on the quality of the fruit. God forbid we should have good quality food that hasn’t been grown in poor conditions to maximise profit at the expense of quality

Hoover wattage? Again, god forbid we should have people considering our overuse of electricity and looking to improve our environment

Halfwit.

Do you think Westminster is some Indian tribe where they all sit around the campfire, get stoned and decide our laws in a nice jolly way.

Wake the **** up

richinbish
    Free Member

I’ll put it like this , I bumped into an acquaintance yesterday in the bank . I said can you give me £350 ? He willingly obliged , I gave him £30 back but said whatever he spends it on he must mention my name and give me credit for it . He was over the moon , we are meeting again today to do the same , and tomorrow , and the day after , and the day after that …….

richinbish
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    I don’t want a bunch of unelected Eurocrats to sit in a panelled room deciding what emissions my car must have , what colour yellow my bananas should be , what wattage vacuum cleaner I must use
    More mis-informed nonsense

Emissions? Yes, god forbid we should worry about the environment and it’s impact on our health

Bananas? There’s no law on the colour. There are regulations on the quality of the fruit. God forbid we should have good quality food that hasn’t been grown in poor conditions to maximise profit at the expense of quality

Hoover wattage? Again, god forbid we should have people considering our overuse of electricity and looking to improve our environment

Halfwit.

Do you think Westminster is some Indian tribe where they all sit around the campfire, get stoned and decide our laws in a nice jolly way.

Wake the **** up

Halfwit ?

You don’t know anything about me , but one thing I’ll tell you , I won’t be bullied by lefty liberals who don’t care about their country

Euro
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

Referendums aren’t democracy. Referendums are what you get when democracy has failed.

BoardinBob

You don’t know anything about me , but one thing I’ll tell you , I won’t be bullied by lefty liberals who don’t care about their country

And I don’t want to live in a country with thick racists. Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spot on, 100% behind you pushing you out the exit….
    It is possible to care about your country and the world, possible to lift yourself above the tiny wall of your tiny castle and see there is a world out there.

#NotALeftyLiberal just not a ****

richinbish
    Free Member

And I don’t want to live in a country with thick racists. Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

You haven’t even got an argument , you play the racist card without even knowing my skin colour

Quite appalling

Euro
    Free Member

You lot are crap at sleggin’.

Lifer
    Free Member

richinbish – Member
    I’ll put it like this , I bumped into an acquaintance yesterday in the bank . I said can you give me £350 ? He willingly obliged , I gave him £30 back but said whatever he spends it on he must mention my name and give me credit for it . He was over the moon , we are meeting again today to do the same , and tomorrow , and the day after , and the day after that

What does that facile anecdote refer to?

bullroar
    Free Member

Bullying, lies and elitism is not the preserve of the liberal left. Take a look at last nights Newsnight and watch the Dan Hannan lie about immigration and Suzanne Evans lie about the NHS funding. Then fast forward to the last segment and watch the double whammy of David Starkey demonstrating sneering elitism and bullying all in one go.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

BoardinBob +1 But in all honesty I can’t see why you bothered, Rich’s post shouted at volume that he wasn’t going to listen. Like Mike said it read like a Ukip pamphlet.

@Rich – Your guy in the bank story… hahahahahahahaha

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep and I’m assuming by the recent join date it’s just another regular/former contributor who logged in with the wrong account again.

langylad
    Free Member

I think you are wasting your metaphorical breath there Bob. Entrenched stupidity at its breathtaking best.

Speeder

richinbish – Member
    What I’d like to know is why the lefty liberal elite hate our country so much , it’s weird and from reading this forum for some reason a lot of mountain bikers fall into this category . The BBC is rotten to the core and seems to be brainwashing a lot of the public . All the doom and gloom hasn’t happened , the pound has rallied already and Europe is starting to take a softer approach . They are so desperate they are saying lower the voting age to 16 , to people who have never had to pay rent / a mortgage , bills , car insurance , prescriptions , university fees , people who don’t know about real life , people who want to stay in Europe so that they can work in a bar in Spain for six months …. well f###ing yippee .the lefties say we won’t be able to trade anymore , when we all know you can buy from china/Russia / America on bloody ebay for a start , I can send money to my long lost relatives in Nigeria who email me regularly with consummate ease . We live in a global entity . I’m in my mid forties and hopefully I’ve still got another 30 years plus to live and I’ve voted for my future as well , a future where I don’t want a bunch of unelected Eurocrats to sit in a panelled room deciding what emissions my car must have , what colour yellow my bananas should be , what wattage vacuum cleaner I must use , well tough titties the public have spoken and enough is enough . One last thing , don’t get me started about the fact that the whole debacle of a European Parliament moves for one month of the a year to Strasbourg at billions of cost to appease the French .

Cough

mdavids
    Free Member

Hate my country?? Just the ignorant half. The Sun/Daily Mail/Express reading masses who can’t think for themselves, who fell for the ‘take our country back’ bullshit, who think that this will change anything for the better for the majority.

Who are they going to turn on next when they realise their failings aren’t down to immigrants and the EU?

Every leave voting ‘man in the street’ I’ve seen interviewed so far has came across as a **** moron.

Every leave voter I’ve met in person has been old, ignorant, stupid, bigoted or a combination of all of those.

This morning I’m genuinely sad and fearful for my mine and my family’s future. If we can’t negotiate free trade with the EU then the global company I work for will be gone within 5 years I reckon, taking with it 6500 direct and 30’000 indirect quality jobs, ironically destroying a region that overwhelmingly voted out.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not to mention parts of the country that benefited greatly from EU funding, actually voting to leave e.g.. Cornwall, Wales etc.

bencooper
    Free Member

Your post reads much like a UKIP leaflet, high on emotion, blame and anger but with very little actual real substance.

Or punctuation or paragraphs 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

the lefties say we won’t be able to trade anymore , when we all know you can buy from china/Russia / America on bloody ebay for a start

What the ….?? Do you not notice the duty you pay when you import stuff?

bencooper
    Free Member

And imported dodgy stuff that’s not made to decent (or any) safety standards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And imported dodgy stuff that’s not made to decent (or any) safety standards.

I think that is the new british standard aspiration, we shall compete with the rest of the world in our sweat shops, in our garages and in out sheds. Pension crisis could be solved by reducing life expectancy. NHS costs by having more DOA from bigger more spectacular accidents

colournoise

This thread is precisely why I am totally determined not to bow to the ‘you lost, just shut up and take it on the chin’ brigade.

52-48 is nothing more than a call for compromise. Until that happens, we should do everything we can to keep the debate alive, including shouting down the bigots, the shortsighted, and the downright racist.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘My my democracy isn't now fair shocker for the losing side’ is closed to new replies.