• This topic has 156 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rkk01.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • My my democracy isn't now fair shocker for the losing side
  • BoardinBob

He’s using buying from abroad on eBay as his argument

yunki
    Free Member

It’s a pretty disappointing outcome..
    Forgetting that in human terms it seems like an evolutionary step backwards, it doesn’t appear that even the Brexit campaign expected so many people to thoughtlessly vote with their hearts instead of their minds..
    I trust that the greed of the Eton Mafia will be powerful enough to sort out the practical implications so that our little Island nation doesn’t suffer too much financially.. . For a country so disenchanted with our leaders, we have voted to place a lot of trust in their ability to secure a decent future for our children..

We know that under the surface we are all parochial under achievers looking to place the blame for our discontent on something bigger than our own failure to reach our full potential.. Giving this decision to the people instead of sorting it out in parliament was a massive gamble, usually we can rely on voter apathy to keep the country running smoothly but the gamble backfired, and now we’ve got to let the powers that be sort out the mess..
    Hopefully it will be enough of a shock to ensure that we engage with politics more pro-actively and responsibly in the future, and it will have taught some people (not pointing any fingers Nigel Farage) that if they haven’t got anything kind, true or necessary to say, then it’s probably best not to say anything at all

mikey74
    Free Member

Petition to get a second referendum

The thing is: I don’t want a second, repeat referendum, as all it would serve is to emphasise the divisions. I don’t think the original referendum result should be treated as a mandate to leave the EU, considering the closeness of the result.

If we are to have a second referendum, it should be on a renegotiated deal to stay within the EU.

deepreddave
    Free Member

The Remain voters abusing the Leave voters don’t seem to appreciate just how poorly they are representing themselves. Truly embarrassing yourselves.

* This applies not to Remain voters or supporters in general, just those hurling gratuitous insults around *

Yunki +1

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

You haven’t even got an argument , you play the racist card without even knowing my skin colour

What has anyone’s skin colour got to do with being racist??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we are to have a second referendum, it should be on a renegotiated deal to stay within the EU.

That is not on the table from the EU. We can ask for what we want but it’s not going to happen.

dallas95
    Free Member

psycorp – Member
    Makes you realise how stupid the majority are.
    Exactly.

And how arrogant the minority are.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

35% In
    37% Out
    28% No Vote
    Who is the majority and minority?

mikey74
    Free Member

That is not on the table from the EU. We can ask for what we want but it’s not going to happen.

I didn’t say it would happen, I said it’s the only reason we should have a second referendum. Either way, the first one is not enough of a mandate to leave the EU.

BoardinBob

Truly embarrassing yourselves.

I’m not embarrassed in the slightest

skooby39
    Free Member

The Scots as a whole voted to stay in the UK.
    The UK as a whole subsequently voted to exit the EU.

If the Scots didn’t like the rules or want to be in the UK club, they had the chance to say so in 2014.

Title of this discussion sums it up. We appear have adults stating the game needs to be started again because they lost.

bencooper
    Free Member

We appear have adults stating the game needs to be started again because they lost.

We appear to have adults who think this is a game with fixed rules and no swapsies.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We don’t appear to have adults.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Wahhh its so unfair that other dont share my minority views.
    Looking forward to the usual gobby rentamob commies getting a truncheoning in London later.

mikey74
    Free Member

The Scots as a whole voted to stay in the UK.
    The UK as a whole subsequently voted to exit the EU.

If the Scots didn’t like the rules or want to be in the UK club, they had the chance to say so in 2014.

Title of this discussion sums it up. We appear have adults stating the game needs to be started again because they lost.

The Scottish Ref. was based on a premise where the UK was in the EU. The goalposts have been moved.

I don’t want Scotland to be independent, but I think they are within their rights to demand one due to the severe change of the circumstances.

On the losing thing: No, it’s because the referendum result was not clear enough to make one viewpoint dominant over the other, especially as the leave campaign was primarily based on lies and baseless nationalistic rhetoric. Even many leave voters have publicly said they regret their decision.

thebees
    Free Member

Remainers now trying to claim that those that didn’t vote should be added to the remain count ! At least take your beating like a man.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At least take your beating like a man.

Yeah, awesome, yeah well done you knocked the man down, now kick him in the balls. Wake up to what you just voted for.

volksman
    Free Member

Yes lets have a second referendum, damn, ok best of 3 then, double damn, ok this is it then best of 5.

mikey74
    Free Member

Remainers now trying to claim that those that didn’t vote should be added to the remain count ! At least take your beating like a man.

Perhaps you should read what your chosen leader, Farage, said in the link above.

dannyh
    Free Member

The result was entirely fair. We will now get what we deserve as a result. That is also fair.

No sense of unfairness here.

I have a feeling the ‘unfair’ word will be trotted out by Leavers when they don’t get the sunny, cricket on the village green, spitfires overhead, no foreigners utopia they thought they were voting for.

Oh, and it is also entirely fair that those who pushed the Leave agenda and those who voted for them should be at the vanguard of the Britain Can Make It Project. I mean, there is no way we’d vote to throw everything up in the air without the first idea of how to proceed afterwards, is there?

deepreddave
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

I’m not embarrassed in the slightest

I don’t want to live in a country with thick racists. Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Whilst you didn’t call anyone or all the Leave voters thick racists you are implying it. The fact you don’t see that as cause for embarrassment is err embarrassing. I don’t often challenge anything said on here as STW is usually a real mine of constructive discussion with some genuine humour and wit but some of the comments in the last 24 hrs display an absence of understanding what democracy is or how to have an adult respectful conversation. I’m off to enjoy the weekend.

aracer
    Free Member

Please point out where anybody is claiming that.

What is being suggested is that only a minority of the electorate voted to Leave, which is a factual statement – it’s quite normal to set a threshold of the electorate to change from the status quo, as in the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum, and we didn’t meet the 40% threshold specified for that. Which I’d suggest gives plenty of latitude to suggest that the will of the collective isn’t actually to leave the EU.

The ones I might like to add to the remain count are those who voted Leave but are disappointed that Remain didn’t win 🙄

sootyandjim
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    35% In
    37% Out
    28% No Vote
    Who is the majority and minority?

Is this a hypothetical question or something? It just doesn’t really work as a direct question, given that “no vote, no voice” is a pretty well established concept. This leaves 2 numbers, and 37 is bigger than 35.

I’m not entirely happy about the UK leaving the EU but some of the incredibly weak arguements being put about by quite obviously sore losers are embarrassingly pathetic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most referendums set a minimum turnout or a clear majority of voters, the threshold for change should always be greater.
    What is mostly disappointing is the fact that this was carried over the line by people voting on a completely different question than the one on the paper

The vote did not return a majority of the population of the UK.

thebees
    Free Member

aracer – see above.

grantway
    Free Member

sturgeon is becoming as irritating has a Women with Thrush

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not entirely happy about the UK leaving the EU but some of the incredibly weak arguements being put about by quite obviously sore losers are embarrassingly pathetic.

Yeah, it must be very easy to label anyone unhappy with the leave as a “sore loser”: It means you don’t have to think too hard about the problems we now face.

aracer
    Free Member

See above what? I’m not seeing anything above contradicting my arguments.

coconut
    Free Member

Every 4 years you have a vote to try and change what you believe in. Now just a fraction over half the population have made a choice to change MY life forever, with no chance to ever change that in my life time again (39 yr old). That’s why I struggle to accept it. My life way fine last week and we had a good level of influence in Europe. Yesterday I lost around 22% of my life savings to speculators and currency traders, yes it could come back and hope markets recover but that’s my reasons. UK has now lost its triple A credit rating.. and people chose to go this route!!

My best mate said he voted “out” because he wants a recession so he can buy up properties and rent them out. This is the shallow society we live in now where people are obsessed with making money…. very sad!

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Whineeey
    Whineeeeeey
    whineeeeeeeeeey
    LOSERS

Will you never learn! You lost and by a f___ing MASSIVE amount.

It’s always the looney lefty’s as well, like Tony Benn.
    And the righty’s, like Enoch Powell.

The only sensible Voice

dannybgoode

Its not even a fraction over half the population. It’s a fraction overt half the people who voted and 37% of the voting population.

aracer
    Free Member

Not too late to edit: well played Baron 😳

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Which bit the ref to the ’75 landslide or Stealers Wheel? 🙂

noltae
    Free Member

If there was a second referendum it would only serve to further the case for Brexit as we would see a greater majority who want out – There are an increasing number of European ‘member states’ who’s electorate want out – This sentiment I envisage will only gather momentum ..

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Again. Third not second.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If there was a second referendum it would only serve to further the case for Brexit as we would see a greater majority who want out –

geven the people coming out saying they only voted out to upset CMD etc. and now they realise there won’t be a new hospital every week along with the 28% who didn’t vote I wouldn’t put cash on that.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Mandy at Manchester Airport would change sides, apparently.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It seems that the UK’s credit rating has just been down-graded. The wheels are beginning to come off the train. Public abuse of non-white people in England by racist thugs has begun. My worry is that it will soon get bad enough for the formerly reasonable and polite 48.1% to move from anxiety to hate and start referring to the Leave voters as “Those **** arseholes”.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘My my democracy isn't now fair shocker for the losing side’ is closed to new replies.