Home Forums Bike Forum MTB win wing

• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by davy90.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • MTB win wing
  • jonba
    Free Member

The ass saver win wing is great. Works well on the gravel bike and is nice and simple to put on and off my road bike when riding to hill climbs and warming up.

It would be nice to have one that works on a MTB. Ass saver don’t do one (yet?) but is there anything similar out there. Got a mudhugger on my hardtail that lives on there permanently because I don’t want to be getting through zip ties. Be nice to have something lighter and similar to the win wing.

bikesandboots

Not that I’m aware of. Ask ass savers?

70g so say 100g for a mtb one, vs. 300g for the large mudhugger rear.

nedrapier

One just arrived yesterday, the 50-60mm version.

I offered it up on wife’s HT either 2.35 or 2.25 Barzos – can’t remember and she’s out on it now.  There was maybe just enough clearance, no idea how it handles mud, stones, bouncing around, so I didn’t leave on for her ride this morning (plus I don’t want it broken before the all-day ride I bought it for tomorrow!  I read a review saying it worked fine on mtbs, I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit:

Ass Savers Win Wing Review

He’s got it quite high up, plenty of room for crap on the tyres to bounce through, it’s only the sidewalls close to the wishbone supports.

As you can see in the photos above, there’s 6-7mm of space when mounted with 2.35/2.4” tires. I think it would be better with tires smaller than 2.25” wide, but it worked fine with these. I never had any issues with tire rub or chunks of gravel causing any harm to the Wishbone or fender blade, which was certainly one of my concerns. We’ve all had a chunk of gravel get wedged in the tire’s side knobs, only to knock into the chainstays upon rotation. However, with the rotational direction and the fact that the straps act as flexible suspension for the Wishbone, I don’t see it being an issue, and I haven’t had any problems with it after several very rough dirt road and gravel rides.

spannermonkey

I have the gravel one and use it on my hardtail with 2.6 tyres

I just ‘massaged’ the support bracket with hot water from the kettle to widen the bridge area to give the clearance. Works fine so far

nuke

Been using one on my XC (FS) and on my rigid 29er bike since last year…both have 2.25″ tyres and it works fine (dead easy to swap it over too)

I don’t want to be getting through zip ties

I just use re-usable zipties

nedrapier

I have the gravel one and use it on my hardtail with 2.6 tyres

I just ‘massaged’ the support bracket with hot water from the kettle to widen the bridge area to give the clearance. Works fine so far

Good to know, thanks for that!

New ones come with rubber buckle-hole voile type straps.

Speeder

Oh it’s for gravel bikes – don’t care.

molgrips
    Free Member

I found that the mudhugger I have and was planning to use on my hardtail as well does not fit because the brake hose guides on the seatstay are in the way. So I may be interested in something like this.

nedrapier

Oh it’s for gravel bikes – don’t care.

And it works on some mtbs?  the whole point of the thread?  Or did you delete something you posted before because you realised it was irrelevant?

jonba
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll try some  gentle heating. Looks like the mudhugger can go on permanently right now anyway.

lovewookie

I’ve ran one on hardtail with 2.25″ tyres. Yes it can clatter if it’s really rough at speed, but 90% of the time it just worked well.

Id put one on my xc-fs if it fitted dropped seatstays.

bails

Aren’t all zip ties reusable?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I may give one a go on MTB, though I usually just accept a Mudhugger fixed on for six months of the year.

That weirdy beardy gravel bloke tested the Mk2 strap-on version

Northwind

I have one of the gravel ones, fits great on both my mtbs. (I have to have it at a slightly odd looking angle on the full suss but it ended up working really well, probably better than if I could have put it exactly where I wanted it. Fantastic product, if it fits, I love it. Looks daft but every rear mudguard ever made looks daft. Whoever realised “we can just make it super light instead of making it heavy and stiff then trying to stop 300g of mudguiard from moving” is a genius. It doesn’t quite have the coverage of a mudhugger but on both mine it has all of the really important arse coverage, so it’s like 90% as effective maybe. And it’s so quick to fit/remove.

But the challenge for a truly mtb compatible one is pretty obvious, we have a wild range of seatstay heights and some bikes with none at all so trying to offer a one-size-fits-all with this design is always going to be really difficult, and more so with this sort of design. In the meantime, I reckon most bikes with reasonably symetrical, not-too-fat, reasonably high chainstays can take one and probably pretty much all hardtails?

rOcKeTdOg

That weirdy beardy gravel bloke tested the Mk2 strap-on version

10% offer code too.

I use mine on my hardtail MTB. It’s not quite as effective as on the gravel bike due to the seatstay angle but still keeps the ass area happy

davy90
    Free Member

Has a more sensible angle on my XC HT then on my Revolt due to seat stay geometry.Takes seconds to swap. I taped the contact points on both to minimise faff

That said I’ve just dusted off an old set of full SKS guards and fitted them to the Revolt to see if reduces spray to my feet after some soggy recent commutes. It is now even more fugly… Not yet tried them with the gravel wheels..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.