Home Forums Bike Forum MT500 jacket modification – bad idea?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MT500 jacket modification – bad idea?
  • chiefgrooveguru

So I bought one of those Decathlon MTB waterproofs after the glowing STW review but what seemed a good fit in the shop has been proven to be a bit too narrow across the back and in the sleeves, and then there was a handy PSA for the MT500 last week.

Two arrived, one medium, one large. Haven’t tried the large because the medium seems plenty roomy. Seems a very nice jacket but there’s just one thing niggling – I live in the south and am often riding in the cover of the woods, and I run fairly warm, so I want as much cooling/venting as possible.

The MT500 has huge pit zips and venting pockets but it also has these comfy feeling inner cuffs which mean that if I open the velcro cuff I’ll get hardly any breeze up there. It looks like the lycra cuff is stitched to a waterproof inner cuff which itself is stitched to the inside of the sleeve and it isn’t taped like all the main seams. Would it be crazy to cut this stitching and remove the pair? Is there anything I’ve overlooked?!

P.S. Anyone more slender/smaller want one of these cheap? https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountain-bike-rain-jacket-expl-700/_/R-p-330643?mc=8640904

(It’s a large. Worn once or twice!)

coconut
    Free Member

Should be fine, cut in front of the stitching leaving a small seam in place.

zippykona

The rain wicks up the cuff things anyway.

chiefgrooveguru

“Should be fine, cut in front of the stitching leaving a small seam in place.”

I was thinking of unstitching this bit – it looks like they’ve added a layer of seam tape on the inside and then stitched the inner cuff to that. There’s no sign of a seam through the outer. Being in the south there’s a fair chance I’ll be wearing it over just a short sleeve base layer so I’d rather have nothing there than the remnant of the cut off inner cuff.

I’ve cut mine out mate, give me a mo and I’ll post some photos. 

There you go, doesn’t affect the integrity of the jacket in any way. 

20231023_223310

chiefgrooveguru

Brilliant, thanks! So I can’t see any of the cuff fabric remaining – did you cut most of it out and then pull the tiny bits left out from the seam or did you cut the stitching (it doesn’t look like you did!)?

Just used a seam ripper to unpick/cut the thread, pulled the loose bits out.

I removed the cuffs as a complete piece. I’ve kept the little bits of fabric for repairs should I need patches. 

chiefgrooveguru

Magic, I shall do just that then!

@Watty
    you messaged me about the Decathlon jacket but I think you’ve accidentally blocked me so I can’t reply!

bikesandboots

you messaged me about the Decathlon jacket but I think you’ve accidentally blocked me so I can’t reply!

This has happened with a few people who messaged me about items in the classified too. Must be a bug!

Watty

@Watty you messaged me about the Decathlon jacket but I think you’ve accidentally blocked me so I can’t reply!

Unintentionally I assure you, it’s probably a feature 😉 New message sent with email.

stanley

Nice work… I’m copying that idea :-)

zerocool

I’ve done this on loads of coats over the years. As said above cut in front of the stitching to reduce the risk of damaging the jacket.

chiefgrooveguru

Btw, I did this mod, and more recently cut out the flappy twisty glasses wipe in one of the pockets. It’s a great jacket – it’s not often I wear it or take it MTBing because it does require some serious wet or cold being likely, but the fabric and cut and vents and over-helmet hood are great (I’m sure I’d wear it more if I lived somewhere colder/wetter than the south coast).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.