• This topic has 215 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • Movies 2019-2020
  • rone

Caught up with Clint Eastwood’s The Mule – Grandad drug running caper.

Decent film with a bit of odd editing half way through – felt like something was missing.

Most impressive thing is Eastwood being 89; acting, producing and directing. And putting himself with a couple of hookers – twice in the film.

Fair play.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Saw Bresson’s Anna last night.
    Very much a Bresson film but so like the others in feel that I reckon in a few weeks I’ll forget what bits were in this and what were in Lucy. And for some reason I kept thinking of Haywire and Nikita.
    Good cast and the leading lady is sure be moving on from this.
    Worth the time watching it. Just.

rone

Caught up with Dragged Across Concrete – New one from Director S. Craig Zahler of Bone Tomahawk, infamy.

This is a slow burn low-key Michael Mann + Tarantino hybrid crime caper with Mel Gibson. Quite brutal in places (See Bone Tomahawk for that). Actually very gripping – despite the pace – with a nihilistic group of crims that are absolutely ruthless in their mission.

Great cinematography and moderately unpredictable. Almost doesn’t have a moral compass, and you need a strong stomach. A couple of scenes had me re-winding for the shear cruelty – a “has that really just happened moment.”

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Agreed, loved Dragged Across Concrete, especially as I didn’t know much about it. Same as Den of Thieves.

fasthaggis

I would have to toughen up and ignore my rule of never watching anything with Vince Vaughn in it. 😉

rone

Vince Vaughn – straight down the line here. Underplayed. He’s good in this.

rone

I’m semi-ashamed to say I accompanied the good lady to see Downton Abbey.

What can I say? – extremely well lit vignettes of posh troubles.

Nothing more.

PrinceJohn

Saw It:Chapter 2 recently – really enjoyed it, wrapped up the story very well.

fasthaggis

Bait.
    Interesting take on that age old battle of locals V tourists in a small community,filmed in black and white it brings out some nice detail. (7/10)

Next up..
    The Farewell (tomorrow night) and may go big multi screen on Sat for Ad Astra.

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

eddiebaby
    Free Member

That Bikebouy looked awesome. Sadly I think the Grand Tour probably covered it well enough and it is unlikely to match Le Mans, but heck, it’s my favourite period and style of motorsport so bring it on.

DrJ

The Goldfinch. Dire. Enjoyed the (somewhat wordy) book, but this was an ordeal.

rone

No reports on Joker yet?

Will next week for me.

Drac

A few Facebook friends have seen it supposedly it’s fantastic.

nickc

Joker…

Where to start…Well, first off it takes itself way too seriously, it wants so desperately to either the King of Comedy or Taxi Driver, and hints at both, no check that, it steals relentless and shamelessly from both…Having said that about the best thing about the film is the great cinematography, the cityscapes are really tremendous. The problem for me is that the character without his obvious opposition is a bit hollow, and really struggles to carry an entire film by himself, and the origin story of a super-villain set in a real-ish world doesn’t really work…**  his own crime spree gets rapidly taken over by the mob, so after act 1 the central character of the film is a bit sidelined and while some elements of it are cleverly done (you’re never sure sometimes whether you’re watching his real or fantasy world) the plot is confused and and shallow, (who he is ultimately, is a massively forced pointless “twist” ) Phoenix though is really good, but I think like all Jokers to come will always be compared to Heath Ledger who’s nihilistic “come from no-where” depiction will always be the standard others are judged by

I came away a bit disappointed and confused about what it was supposed to be. Given all the hype; 6/10, save it for a rainy day.

Edit, ** I don’t think I explained that well. The problem is that the film tries to take a “real” person and depict their decent into violent comic book baddy madness…When the director needed  to make a choice about what film he’s making, either it’s a the depiction of a man going mad in a world that doesn’t care (a good enough film to make) OR make a film about the Joker, a comic book villain (again a good enough film) mixing the two, IMO, didn’t work that well.

jekkyl

Pretty much all the reviews of the Joker have been spewing about how good it is, all the normal people commenting on the reviews are also saying it’s fantastic, Empire has given it 5 stars!
    What actually happens in it? usual movie plots go… good guy comes up against some sort of evil thing, gets taken out by baddy then overcomes the baddy in the final fight… but this is just a baddy by himself… what actually happens?

colournoise

If anyone answers that, can you use the spoiler tag to hide it? Cheers.

nickc

Pretty much all the reviews of the Joker have been spewing about how good it is,

There are bits in it that are really good…Phoenix is great as Arthur Fleck, the cinematography is very very good, It’s a well assembled movie…I just think it’s trying to be too many things. I’ve often thought that a “superhero” movie set in the real world would be an interesting project, and before the Joker; the opening act of Logan comes about as close as anyone had before, and it sort of works; right up until the point at which you see the actuality of what being attacked by someone like the Wolverine would really be like… Joker is sort of similar, at some point the “real” Fleck needs to become a comic book character…and that didn’t really go.

rone

Interesting comments nickc.

I will be easily pleased with the cinematography!

I think it was hyped up too early on – people’s expectations were lifted perhaps?

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t read nickc’s post in case of spoilers.. but just got back from
    JOKER..
    lived up to , no, exceeded my expectations. Utterly brilliant, much darker than I thought it was going to be. Just upped the disturbingness from start to finish. Totally absorbed – so much so that I yelled WOAH! at one point then realised I’d done it out loud 😆
    Might go see that one again with the girlfriend as she couldn’t make it. My son really liked it too. Don’t think we’ve talked that much about a film in the car afterwards.

Only thing, and I blame Cougar for this, as there’s no way I would’ve noticed – teal and orange! Nearly every single scene! Aside from that the cinematography is gorgeous.

DezB
    Free Member

Just read nickc’s post now and don’t know what he’s on about. Clearly a character study of a descent into madness, nothing to do with superheroes. The links into the Batman story were well done.
    Each to their own though eh 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

WOAH

Did the same at what I assume was the same point.

rone

– teal and orange! Nearly every single scene! Aside from that the cinematography is gorgeous

Nowt wrong with teal and orange. It’s very much from the cinematography pallette.

Tonight hopefully.

nickc

The links into the Batman story were well done.

I thought they were obvious, cynical, and un-necessary. I found out after seeing it that the director is the guy behind the Hangover films. Who has said “You can’t make comedy anymore, now that every-one is woke” Which probs goes a long way to explain Joker.

DezB
    Free Member

How many films get discussed in a general movies thread and also have 3 dedicated threads? It’s got something 🙂

the director is the guy behind the Hangover films
    Not seen them.

nickc

Not seen them

Don’t bother.

Marin
    Free Member

Pain and Glory with Antonio Banderas, great film covering love, addiction, decline of your powers. European cinema at its best. Saw it a few weeks ago so it may have passed from the cinema. One for thinking over rather than crash, bang, wallop.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is this a movie ?? I’m not sure 🤯

Anyway..

wordnumb
    Free Member

Just watched The Day Shall Come. Feel as if I’ve been hit in the face with the hammer of obvious by really nice people.

PrinceJohn

Watched Terminator Dark Fate at the weekend, enjoyed it way more than I did Joker.

Next up on Thursday it’s Zombieland 2…

oomidamon

Saw Terminator: Dark Fate last night and came away thinking meh. Visually very impressive but kind of rips up the first two films in the first 5 mins, not what I was hoping for. Also, the premise is a bit ridiculous (no spoilers). Arnie was good value and the interaction with Hamilton was good but overall a bit of a letdown.

jam-bo

shaun the sheep: Farmageddon. its a banger.

rone

Just made the trip to see the Irishman in a cinema before it hits Netflix.

Actually quite disappointed. The talent involved doesn’t really make it on to the screen.

Decent performances as you would expect but the script is just lacking a dynamic. Scenes and emotions just don’t connect. Has a TV movie vibe about it with little flair or craft. I also found it somewhat confusing too.

I had dialed my expectations down because of the fact this film is a meditation on age as much as anything. And actually that’s the most successful bit – I really enjoyed the last hour where things start to wind down rather than the ‘gangster’ scenes which felt clumsy and lacking direction.

I didn’t have a problem with the de-aging. I think too much has been said about so you have a tendency to focus on it but actually I thought it was quite an achievement – if not perfect.

Music, camerawork and editing are all pegged back.

De-Niro and Pesci come out on top, with Pacino not really adding much in my opinion but I think this is the fault of the script.

Certainly not the last great film of the decade I thought it would be!

(I think I will post this review over on the Netflix thread too.)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just watched Gemini Man.
    Very wierd to see Will Smith standing next to digitally de-aged Will Smith. A good enough brain off romp.
    Angel has Fallen was better.

nickc

Le Mans 66 was pretty good entertainment.

tomhoward

Le Mans 66 was pretty good entertainment.

As a cinema punter, I agree. As a car/racing nerd, I was pulling my teeth out….

Saw zombieland 2, which was more of the same as the first one. This is not a bad thing.

dany123
    Free Member

I have enjoyed “Charlie’s Angels” a lot but on the other side, I am waiting for the next Marvel movie after the endgame.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I decided to wait a few weeks to watch The Irishman at home, it’s just too long for me at the cinema.

De-Niro and Pesci come out on top, with Pacino not really adding much in my opinion but I think this is the fault of the script.

I’m not surprised, Pacino often gets lumped in with the best, but for me he’s not quite in the same league. He was great in ‘Once upon a time’ though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Being a big fan of animation, I’m looking forward to seeing this.. and the music score is most excellent..

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘Movies 2019-2020’ is closed to new replies.