• This topic has 215 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 216 total)
  • Movies 2019-2020
  • forzafkawi
    Free Member

I saw The Lion King last night and was really impressed. I spent the whole film trying decide if it was CGI or live action or a mix of the two. If you liked the original (as I did) then you should like this.

fasthaggis

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.

Superb.
    Pitt and DeCaprio are on top form .
    I loved the whole 35mm analogue thing, it all just looked so right ,and a well chosen soundtrack .
    Already planning to go and see it again.

It’s a 9/10 from me.

DezB
    Free Member

Nice one fasthaggis – seeing it this weekend.

Need to erase the memory of the last film I saw (I’m almost too ashamed to say it’s name) my son made me go, we were at BPW, staying in Merthyr and there was nothing else to do!! HONEST!
    It was Hobbs & Shaw. I tried so hard to just not care and enjoy it. But, my god, every second of it treats the viewer like a **** idiot. Even the supposed banter between the two main stars was just poorly scripted and downright stupid – The wittiest line being “Your mum” iirc.
    I was begging for Tarantino dialogue! 😆

zilog6128

It was Hobbs & Shaw.

Saw it last night. Best film of the franchise so far (bar maybe the first, but that’s VERY different from the later films). The Rock! The Stath!! The BANTZ!!! Ditching the dead wood (Diesel, et al) was a great move. Idris was on cracking form as a hammy super-villain. The thing I love most about these films is, just as you think it can’t get any more ridiculous, IT DOES. Over & over again! My inner child was clapping with glee. I normally find CGI-heavy movies a total borefest, these effects were well done though and look good (for now… shame they’ve moved away though from the practical driving stunts of the originals that still look great) plus the chemistry between the 3 leads and the baddy was great with some sparkling dialogue (an adroitly timed “your mum” from Dwayne Johnson being the pinnacle). Overall, awesome 11/10. 😃

DezB
    Free Member

^^ That’s what I wanted to say! But it was utter shite. Especially the bit on the plane when the extremely unfunny Kevin Hart appeared and made the bantz even less funny than they already were.
    My inner child only seems to work on mountain bikes.

zilog6128

don’t you ever get sick of being wrong all the time? Music, movies… 😂 I will give you Kevin Hart though, normally don’t mind him but they had packed a lot into this film; he was totally unnecessary.

DezB
    Free Member

How very dare you! 😆

rone

Anyone seen OUATIH yet! Hearing mixed things. Can’t see it until Monday.

Saw Wild Rose last night. An enjoyable ‘Brit-Grit’ Star is Born flick that avoids the rags to riches clichés whilst delivering a satisfying pay off.

Jessie Buckley is very good. (She’s in Chernobyl).

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone seen OUATIH yet!

See 3 or 4 posts above yours.
    I’ve just got back from seeing it. It certainly ain’t no Pulp Fiction, I’ll say that much.

rone

Yeah, a lot of folk quite down on it.

Sandwich

Blinded by the Light was good last night. A real flashback for Mrs S and me when the back of NME showed the ad for The Tunnel Of Love Tour and we both said “we were at that one” (Villa 21/22 June). Some good social history and a soundtrack that wasn’t just The Boss. They managed to make 80’s Luton as bad as I remember it from driving lessons.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, a lot of folk quite down on it.

Probably the second quarter is, if you’re not actually Quentin Tarantino, extremely boring. It’s rather indulgent, full of intimate detail around 60s/70s Hollywood.. being a Brit, all the radio and Tv nostalgia is just meaningless. Picks up in the second half and by the end you’ve erased it from memory.
    At least 4 people walked out of the cinema. I wasn’t close to doing that, but was wishing he’d get on with the actual plot.

Drac

If DezB hates it’s it must be awesome.

gauss1777
    Free Member

At least 4 people walked out of the cinema. I wasn’t close to doing that, but was wishing he’d get on with the actual plot.

I had a similar experience to DezB, there were large parts that I was wondering what would I cut? kinda interesting and kinda boring at the same time. I was wishing there had been a story : )

DezB
    Free Member

If DezB hates it’s it must be awesome.

You must go see Hobbs & Shaw then.

chakaping
    Free Member

If DezB hates it’s it must be awesome

Funnily enough, I’d have said the same about your comments on TV and movie threads.

Dez may be a raging snob but he seems to have decent taste.

Drac

You must go see Hobbs & Shaw then.

I’d rather shit a pineapple.

Dez may be a raging snob but he seems to have decent taste.

Bless someone doesn’t get the joke.

DezB
    Free Member

At least we now know how Drac feels about pineapples up his bottom.

Drac

Yup, better than The Fast and The Furious.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Probably the second quarter is, if you’re not actually Quentin Tarantino, extremely boring. It’s rather indulgent, full of intimate detail around 60s/70s Hollywood.

I can see where you’re coming from but, personally, I just stopped worrying about whether there was a plot or not and just drunk in the sumptuous picture that was being painted. I don’t know how accurate a portrayal of 1969 Hollywood it was but it was certainly how Tarantino wanted late 60s Hollywood to look, feel and sound. That was good enough for me.

Pitt and DiCaprio were fantastic too. One of Tarantino’s best IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

Coincidentally, just spoke to someone in the office here – felt the same as me. For slightly different reasons, but did say he was close to walking out.
    It’s definitely more Death Proof than Django Unchained.
    More Hateful 8 than Pulp Fiction.

Not that I actually disliked any of those films.

fasthaggis

I would just like to add, I saw it in one of the few places that are showing it on 35mm projectors and really feel it made a big difference (for me) to the whole look of the film.
    Like namastebuzz above, I just locked in and got lost in the movie, the time flew past.

zilog6128

More Hateful 8 than Pulp Fiction.

that’s good actually, I LOVED Hateful 8 – it was pure Tarantino indulgence, I can see why people who don’t get/appreciate him found it boring 😂

would just like to add, I saw it in one of the few places that are showing it on 35mm projectors and really feel it made a big difference (for me) to the whole look of the film.

That’s cool. I remember seeing a 70mm print of Top Gun once, it looked AMAZING, all the scratches/grain etc only added to the look of the film (kind of like vinyl I guess? 😂) Sad in a way that 35mm projectors are now a rarity!!

What cinema? Did you find a list? Found a couple in London showing it. I see there are a handful in the US showing a 70mm print as well!

DezB
    Free Member

I definitely got it, but found myself more thinking “I get what Tarantino’s up to here”, rather than being lost in the film. I, personally, would rather be lost in the film plot.
    Good how art is subjective though innit.
    Oh, and I’m not talking about the whole film, as I said in my first post about it.

zilog6128

sorry, that actually wasn’t a personal dig at all (for once 😂), I was just talking in general about how Hateful 8 was not particularly well received by critics/audiences! IMO it was basically made for an audience of one, and if other people liked it, great. 😃 Sounds like his latest film is similar maybe.

rone

Thoroughly enjoyed Hollywood.

Has its clunky moments and odd pacing/editing but I still found it gripping for the most. I think I saw the ending coming – clues abound in the run up to the film (and in the title), but you never know with Tarantino.

Time spent with Brad Pitt was very enjoyable. I feel the movie could’ve been about him and and Rick Dalton’s stuff could’ve been cut right down.

Will certainly test the average cinema-goer but I thought the time flew by.

Didn’t like the voice-over towards the end. A stylistic choice that sucked me right out of the screen.

Not a tightly scripted film, or laugh out loud fest but the black humour is ripe and the sense of place and time very rich.

Traditional to rank QTs films – above Django but below his best work.

I never liked Kill Bill either.

The guy who plays Manson here is in Mindhunter S2 as I understand it.

shermer75
    Free Member

I loved watching OUATIH, easily his best since Jackie Brown

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t like the voice-over towards the end. A stylistic choice that sucked me right out of the screen.

Yeah, thought, why didn’t he make more of the film about that, instead of cowboy film excerpts? Seemed a rush to get the plot back on track to me.
    Agree about Pitt.

rone

Yeah, thought, why didn’t he make more of the film about that, instead of cowboy film excerpts? Seemed a rush to get the plot back on track to me.

For sure.

A couple more observations – nearly all of Margot Robbie’s dialogue is in the trailer! She really doesn’t say much but I quite liked this. Her character was through her actions. Some have criticised it.

Also the Spahn Ranch stuff was good – started moving the film forward – I do wonder if there’s more Charles Manson footage, as again his bits are virtually all in the trailer.

mahalo

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood last night.

another massive thumbs up from me! i thought it was superb but went to see it with my dad who is a big tarantino fan – he thought it was ‘shite’

P-Jay
    Free Member

Saw Once Upon a Time last night too.

Thought it was wonderful, really helped me watching in the cinema (I rarely go these days) as there are parts that seem like filler, or at least just great visuals and music with little plot. At home I know I would have got my phone out and started fiddling, but I’m glad I didn’t.

It’s got some great parts, its hard to say why without giving too much away, but there’s a few parts about mid-way you’re expecting this or that to happen, classic almost slasher film stuff and something else happens.

If you haven’t seen it, it’s worth having a quick read about Sharon Tate and the Manson Family if you don’t know the story, I think the film is very US/Hollywood/child of the 60s centric and expects you to know at least the broad strokes.

Loads of people will hate it because it’s not what you’d expect in loads of ways.

mahalo

must say i only read up about the tate murders after watching it and listening to Robbie Collins gushing about it on the kermode pod. now i really want to see it again! i did attempt to watch a snide CAM stream but its awful given the clarity of the original!

P-Jay
    Free Member

but its awful given the clarity of the original!

I paid extra for the bigger / higher res screen last night in the cinema, yeah it’s all filmed on 35mm ha ha

Drac

New Joker trailer showing potential.

rone

Great trailer. Cinematography is beautiful.

DezB
    Free Member

I dun a thread about that one

johndoh
    Free Member

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight – a fascinating film, beautifully shot, well acted and I laughed like a loon at the final scene.

CountZero

Latest Terminator: Dark Fate trailer looks enticing, love Linda Hamilton’s voice, sound like she’s been on a bottle of Jack and 60fags a day since Terminator 2!

DezB
    Free Member

enticing = crap

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I enjoyed reading the book, and it featured a lot of ‘cycling’…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘Movies 2019-2020’ is closed to new replies.