• This topic has 215 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 216 total)
  • Movies 2019-2020
  • rone

Skipped over the not!

rone

So ripe for waiting for it to come on Sky Movies then?

It’s a big screen thing for me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just watched Bohemian Rhapsody.

It’s just wonderful, I’m sure some die hard Queen fans my be miffed at some do the poetic license taken, but at its core it’s very like Queen, don’t worry about the details, just be entertained.

For a few moments here and there it gets a bit serious, or a bit sad and then BAM they throw in the origin of one of their amazing songs or so amazing event and you’re back on the joy ride.

11/10

tomhoward

Just seen Vice, it’s very good, you really get a sense of what an objectionable **** Cheney is, and how ****ed American politics is. It’s very Adam McKay too, so if you liked the Big Short, you’ll like this.

I’m also beginning to like Steve Carell in non comedy roles more and more.

Fair play to the costume/make up dept too, the likenesses to the main protagonists are amazing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Alita Battle Agent yet?

Directed by Avatar bloke, just doing the rounds on Insta and out on release Feb4th.

mahalo

Loved The Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody, quite enjoyed The Favourite. Wasn’t overly keen on Stan & Ollie. Poppins was great, but none in the same league as Blackkklansman!! Think that’s my lot so far…

kennyp
    Free Member

Saw Stan and Ollie last week. Superb film though quite sad in places. However it did play rather fast and loose with some of the facts and chronology.

tomhoward

Saw Stan and Ollie last week. Superb film

Saw an advanced preview in Dec, the train station bit had mrsTH and I in stitches, as did Stans wife.

rone

Vice

Very entertaining, smart, polemical and pretty much sets the political scene for how the hell did we get here …

It’s a very much fill the blanks in with satire history lesson. A great moment half-way through which Kermode spoiled on his review the other day – is stand out.

Christian Bale as Cheney is in full-on Raging Bull method mode with incredible mannerisms and posture. Also the make-up for all characters is really good, very convincing.

The editor clearly knows what they’re doing too – juggling all the timelines, faked material, alt-history and family life to a really sharp level. I think this is a shoe in for Best Film Editing.

Lots of great support acting (Sam Rockwell, Amy Adams) as mentioned above.

Probably my favourite of the Oscar contenders so far in terms of accomplishment and entertainment.

A great reminder of how far the USA is from democracy when it comes to power.

PrinceJohn

Directed by Avatar bloke, just doing the rounds on Insta and out on release Feb4th.

No produced by James Cameron – directed by Robert Rodriguez who can do very little wrong in my book. Dusk Til Dawn, Machete, Planet Terror, Sin City, Spy Kids

DrJ

Went to see Destroyer. Really good. But Nicole Kidman made up to look rough is still pretty nice!

tomhoward

A great moment half-way through

That had me for a good few seconds… (I hadn’t seen kermodes review)

granny_ring

Went to see Mary Queen of Scotts last week, wish I’d seen Stan and Ollie on the other screen.
    But on the otherhand brownie points earned.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No produced by James Cameron – directed by Robert Rodriguez who can do very little wrong in my book. Dusk Til Dawn, Machete, Planet Terror, Sin City, Spy Kids

Advertised as being from the director of Avatar 🤷‍♂️🕴🎥

thepurist

Really hoping Alita:Battle Angel is as good as it looks.

Saw it last night.  Sort of rollerball meets blade runner meets terminator meets pinochio meets elysium.   The plot is fairly straightforward as you’d expect, but the visuals are good and there’s some nice ideas in there.  Sets things up nicely for the sequel, which on balance I think I’d still go to see.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cool, have to go watch it. 👍

fasthaggis

As usual,a lot of films I want to see arrive at my local arty cinema* all at the same time 🙁
    Vice – Green Book – Destroyer – Burning – Can You Ever Forgive Me .What to choose,what to choose,what to choose?

*I try and avoid Multi-screen places,except for popcorn/big special effect/blockbusters

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot.
    Not what I was expecting at all. Really enjoyed it but want a bit of time to work out why.
    Not a scifi action movie.

CountZero

Going to see Alita next week, first visit to my local fleapit since they spent a shitload of money on it and upgraded the whole place. Now with five screens, and no longer a need to drive to Bath, Bristol or Swindon!
    Been a long time since I last saw a film in my home town.

fasthaggis

Can You Ever Forgive Me (8/10).
    Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant are a perfect match,superb.

Tonight > Burning

aweeshoe
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to seeing this one. “Beats” is Set in Scotland 1994 with an awesome score mixed by JD Twitch of Pure and Optimo.

https://mixmag.net/read/uk-rave-culture-film-beats-clip-news

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for ‘The Irishman’ for what feels like years and then ‘suddenly’ they release the most amazing trailer ever that gives away just enough to wet your appetite, but not so much as to ruin it. Actually that’s nonsense, in the history of vague and pointless teaser trailers this demands an award all of it’s own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXDFtflBjzQ

DezB
    Free Member

Brilliant! All it needs is that cast list eh!? Sod Netflix, gotta be the cinema for that.

lovewookie

saw Cold Pursuit at the weekend.
    was expecting a typical liam neeson kills lots of people by being super hard, film from the description.
    it’s kinda quirky, dark humour, tongue in cheek. Really enjoyed it.

showing on a tiny screen cos it got bad reviews, near you…

rone

Captain Marvel

Slightly above average Marvel. Style pitched somewhere between GOTG and Iron Man.

Likeable cast but all bit too Star Trek for me…

One of the best Silence of the Lambs gags featuring a cat ever.

Sam Jackson on form and nice 90’s riffs, but on the whole a bit lacking in freshness.

Nice little Stan Lee tribute at the beginning.

I like the Irishman trailer (it’s the very essence of a teaser!), oh and if the CGI de-aging in Irishman is anything like as good as Captain Marvel we will be very impressed.

Is the release on international women’s day intentional?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No. Nor is Singletrack Women. All coincidence.

DezB
    Free Member

Cold Pursuit … showing on a tiny screen cos it got bad reviews, near you…

4Star glowing review from Empire mag. But I saw the trailer and it looked pretty bad. Maybe they pitched the trailer wrong.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Bit late to the party on this one. Relatively recently seen films include A Star is born, Stan and Ollie, Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book. A Star is born – trailers made it look better than it actually was. Good film but not as good as I expected. Thought Lady Gaga was terrific in it though. Bradley Cooper just felt a bit over acted to me. Really enjoyed Stand and Ollie. Some poignant moments and a great watch. Loved Bo Rhap even though it does play fast and loose with the truth. But then it wasn’t really intended as an authoritative documentary on the band. Overall a most excellent film. And last week we saw Green Book. Thought it was a terrific film. Was slightly apprehensive after Spike Lee’s comments but went anyway and glad we did. Great film. Sure, a little twee and simplistic but that didn’t detract from the enjoyment. In fact, because of the understatement in it I thought it enhanced the message and the overall experience.

DezB
    Free Member

So… saw Jordan Peele’s new one this afternoon – “Us”
    I’m still in 2 minds about it.. was a good idea, some aspects of it were great, some very silly. Didn’t quite work for me.

CountZero

Re: Alita, despite what the snobby critics were suggesting, Alita looks like it’s done more than enough to cover its costs and go into profit, so highly likely it’ll get the sequel its so clearly set up for.
    I really enjoyed it, the motion capture developed to create Alita’s character is nothing short of astonishing, the detail and subtle expressions in her face are amazingly well done.
    So glad it was Rodriguez who did all the directorial work, he does seem to bring an extra quality to a movie.

DezB
    Free Member

Suggested Alita to my son last weekend, we watched the trailer and it made it look so uninteresting we didn’t bother. Think we’re both a bit jaded by flashy CGI fights. (Quite glad really cos we went for a bike ride instead)

tomhoward

Just back from Shazam!

It’s DCs Deadpool, but less ‘adult’ and almost better for it. Hilarious fun, very good indeed.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone seen the Sisters Brothers? Such a limited release looks like another one I’ll miss. What a cast.

DezB
    Free Member

I have DezB! Managed to see The Sisters Brothers at a little cinema in Oxford over the weekend.
    What a superb film. Not an action packed cowboy movie, but just weird enough and different enough to be my sort of film. Highly recommended.

tomhoward

Saw hellboy last night.

Meh. If you like blood, guts and gore it’s fine, but yeah. Meh.

fasthaggis

Excellent,I am going to see Sistors Brothers on Wed night.
    Meanwhile, I went to see Happy As Lazzaro at the weekend .A quirky wee film that still has me playing bits over in my head.
    If you like Italian stuff like ‘Le quattro volte’ you will enjoy it.

Drac

Looks like Luc Besson could be back on form.

stevied
    Free Member

rone

This thread got destroyed by the Endgame one!

Saw Long Shot which was an excellent rom-cum polemic with Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron. Lots of laugh out loud moments with the obligatary Rogen crude sections (always feels like way too much effing and jeffing) being less successful in a film which has great performances and genuine chemistry.

Smart satire is jammed in there too with bang up to date politics.

The romance stuff works really well. Nice riffs on Pretty Woman. Some uneven bits at the half-way but the plot exists for the leads to do their stuff.

If they’d chopped a couple of daft plot points in the middle and tweaked the not so subtle jizz humour this would almost be a five star for me.

Just don’t see it with your mum.

colournoise

Only just catching up with this thread, but Anna (while looking like classic Besson – a very good thing) seems from the trailer at least to be ‘inspired’ by Killing Eve (or at least the same books)?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘Movies 2019-2020’ is closed to new replies.