Viewing 27 posts - 201 through 227 (of 227 total)
  • More Religion on the Beeb
  • Cougar

If it weren’t for the combined efforts of Cougar, Woppit and Dawkins (CWD)

I’m kind of offended that you tar me with the same brush as the other two there TBH.

badnewz
    Free Member

I’ve made the mistake of trying to drink a can of Red Stripe when I’m not already drunk.
    (And of posting to the wrong thread).

AdamW
    Free Member

I am 50 years old and have never, not once, had any religious people telling me what I should be thinking or learning. Are you saying atheists have and that has what made them so intolerant ?

51 year old here, and hell yes I have been told what I should be thinking or learning.

I can still remember the effing apostles creed from when I was a kid. I’ve lost “friends” after coming out because it was “against god” and the stigma from the crap taught to me while I was younger did not help one iota. We have men in frocks in the house of lords choosing our laws and I can think of at least four churches (one or two bizarre, what is the Spritualists all about?) with messages about turning to god within walking distance.

Happy to see you managed to get away though.

squirrelking
    Free Member

no one wants to ban religion and people kill each other over a load of things other than which sky fairy* they think created the universe.

*not all deities live in the sky

It wasn’t the absence of a belief in a celestial deity that compelled the Nazis or Communists to kill people.

Well done for getting my entire point. The reason I was making that point though was because of this tired old trope:

We’ve been there on war and the religious justifications and the part religious dogma plays in recruiting people to fight wars before – it’s a chicken before the egg argument. We often say the AK47 is the most lethal weapon ever devised by man, but a man is required to use an AK47 and in most cases the man who does operate it is doing so after being whipped up to fight for religious reasons. So religion as a weapon to recruit the AK47 operators is a far more dangerous and lethal weapon.

I’d argue that fanaticism is a greater weapon than either. That can come in any flavour you like be it nationalist, political, religious or otherwise. Religion may well have been used as an excuse in many wars but without it another would have been just as easily found. Same for using it as a tool to control people. People have a herd mentality, like it or not, and blaming religion for the worlds ills is just a lazy justification for your own prejudices.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of things done at institutional levels which are wide open to scrutiny and criticism but to lay that at the door of all religion is analogous to blaming the guy who owns the corner shop for the excesses and corruption of global capitalism.

Nope. You are entitled to your beliefs, but your beliefs are not entitled to respect.

So you can mock peoples beliefs without being disrespectful to those who hold them? How do you square that away exactly? Because few here seem to be interested in civilised conversation and instead just mock.

And for the record, they’re not my beliefs either.

Cougar

People have a herd mentality, like it or not, and blaming religion for the worlds ills is just a lazy justification for your own prejudices.

This is essentially “guns don’t kill people, other people do” isn’t it. Guns do make it so much easier though. But you’re right, at the end of the day it’s an excuse, if religion didn’t exist we’d find other means of achieving the same ends.

Nope. You are entitled to your beliefs, but your beliefs are not entitled to respect.

So you can mock peoples beliefs without being disrespectful to those who hold them? [/quote]

Someone’s “beliefs” don’t automatically demand respect, even if they really really believe them quite a lot. Someone believes that all gay people are evil and need curing, is that a belief that we should just accept and respect?

However, mocking people’s beliefs can be disrespectful and thus not a particularly nice thing to do. And of course, people in turn have the right not to be very nice if they choose. This is essentially what Molgrips was getting at I think.

jonnyboi

You know, if Christmas was more about what the birth of Jesus is supposed to mean, or even the spirit of the winter solstice it subsumed then maybe everyone would be a little less stressed and a bit happier in general.

No wonder people get depressed, if you don’t have faith then relaxing, and I mean genuinely relaxing,for a few days with friends and family surely must be better than the crap we have now. Even Christmas dinner has become an overly complicated nigellesque nightmare.

And that goes equally for both sides, I see plenty of churchgoers who attend regularly yet get swallowed up in the consumerist side, I mean it’s almost impossible not to

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

2 mins – R4

(Excuse the religious and elitist bit and it might be enjoyable 😉 )

poah
    Free Member

So you can mock peoples beliefs without being disrespectful to those who hold them? How do you square that away exactly? Because few here seem to be interested in civilised conversation and instead just mock

I wouldn’t use disrespectful as that implies there is respect in the first place. If you are going to believe in nonsense then you really shouldn’t be shocked when the piss gets ripped. This is of course if the conversation is on religion. I don’t go up to my relatives and randomly call them insane, stupid or ignorant.

Drac

I wouldn’t use disrespectful as that implies there is respect in the first place. I

🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

King’s College brilliant – Xmas spirit well and truly alive.

Uplifting finish. Wonderful 90 mins

andyrm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use disrespectful as that implies there is respect in the first place. If you are going to believe in nonsense then you really shouldn’t be shocked when the piss gets ripped. This is of course if the conversation is on religion. I don’t go up to my relatives and randomly call them insane, stupid or ignorant.

You do know it’s possible to say “I don’t share your beliefs but I respect your freedom to have them” don’t you? There’s no need to be rude and offensive in the delivery of the message.

I think that’s the issue here – you don’t have to agree with or even respect a belief structure, but that doesn’t make it ok to behave like a dick towards people. Just be polite. There’s no need to try and shout over them or offend them into submission.

Live and let live.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ this

Anti-religious views are frequently pushed here and aggressively so

There was a very interesting interview with Tim Farron recently, he made it quite clear atheism was bot a neutral stance amd was often simply a front for anti-establishment views

crankboy
    Free Member

How does Tim Farron who is neither an atheist nor a big thinker get to define what atheism is ?

crankboy
    Free Member

“Well look, atheism is not the absence of belief, it is a belief in absence and therefore the absence of common values. It’s a belief in there being no unifying truth. But if there is no unifying truth then, by its own standard, the belief that there is no unifying truth must also be bogus. If you declare that there is no unifying truth then it stands to reason that this declaration isn’t true either. Ergo, atheism doesn’t exist. And I refuse to believe in something that doesn’t exist.” Tim Farron, not exactly lucid and not even getting the basics right.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There’s no need to be rude and offensive in the delivery of the message

you mean like tell them they will burn in hell for not agreeing with me and following my rules ?

andyrm
    Free Member

you mean like tell them they will burn in hell for not agreeing with me and following my rules ?

Did a religious nutter tell you this? You should have chinned them.

I’d hazard a guess that 99.999999999999% of people of faith, religious belief or whatever you want to call it don’t believe in or advocate that bit. It’s an ancient thing, likely added in for social control in distant past times. It’s got no place in faith in the modern world and saddens me if some nutcases still say shit like that in the name of faith.

But as always, one nutter’s bad actions don’t make it ok to be a dick to everyone else who you might think are of similar faith to said nutter.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Junkyard, when was the last time any reasonable person said anything like that to you? In all my years I have literally never heard anyone say anything like that in front of me. Maybe the odd loony on TV but isnt that where you tend to find them?

I know youre older than me (34) and my question wasn’t answered the last time I asked it, is your attitude towards religion a product of some old school west coast fire and brimstone preaching or something you picked up over time? Genuinely interested as its an attitude I’ve seen both from posters on here from the area and people I know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is your attitude towards religion a product of some old school west coast fire and brimstone preaching or something you picked up over time?

The former*

The Bible is a manual to save your soul whilst everyone is more skilled in the art of persuasion than to say that to you the point of the religion is to save your soul front eternal damnation.

The next bit is where folk say no its not what its about, i advise them to read the book, they say i dont get it, Molly chips in we repeat for a bit etc

* the full disclosure – religious primary school considered getting confirmed did church boys =brigade etc, dabbled in other when older- even went to a mormon church for about 6 months and found eastern ones too.Did some theology at uni. I am not a practising budhist but i do many of things a practising Buddhist would do but i dont expect enlightenment or to escape the wheel of life [ as i dont believe it]. Many religious friends including an RE teacher but they know what i think.All lovely people [ bar their taste in friends] Did pray for one recently who asked me to when diagnosed with a brain tumour. To me if it had no part in my life or wider society I would STFU , it should be a private belief, like my veganism, and not be forced on to others.
    IMHO the abrhamaic faiths are detestable for the morals within are poor and the believers dont really do what it says because the morals within are so poor. I would not worship that god if it was real. YOU are free to use the information here to do a profile 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How does Tim Farron who is neither an atheist nor a big thinker get to define what atheism is ?

Freedom of speech. Thankfully.

I prefer the Oxford Dictionary definition:

atheism

NOUN

mass noun
    Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Origin
    Late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god’.

That was easy. As an atheist myself I do concur. Sorry Tim.

jonnyboi

Christmas party on my house tonight.., plenty of food, drink & banter. Before the end we all sang Christmas carols. Christians, agnostics and atheists together. All thought it was a wonderful evening.

although, if you believe everything in here the Christians were privately condemning the atheists to eternal damnation, whilst the atheists were angsting over the poor children who believe the nativity story.

Midnight mass is on bbc1 soon. Try not to have nightmares

Happy Christmas all

squirrelking
    Free Member

Junkyard, thanks that explains things a lot. Quite a contrast with my RE which seemed to be taught by someone who was more concerned with whether we understood religions (and philosophy) than whether we believed in it or not. He was (I think) an army Chaplain so that would probably explain that one. Interesting you take your own thing from Buddhism, I think we all take from what suits or rather what aligns with our values. Most religions have fairly decent values that reflect society, where it goes wrong is when people stop treating scriptures as rough guides to being a better person and start using them to condemn others or worse, take them literally. You can agree with that or not, as I said they’re not my beliefs, I just dont know why I should disrespect someone because they have difering opinions to my own.

Anyway, enjoy your excesses of tomorrow, I’ll be keeping the lights on 😛

CountZero

Most religions have fairly decent values that reflect society, where it goes wrong is when people stop treating scriptures as rough guides to being a better person and start using them to condemn others or worse, take them literally. You can agree with that or not, as I said they’re not my beliefs, I just dont know why I should disrespect someone because they have difering opinions to my own.

This, for sure. Most of my friends are, as far as I know, either agnostic or atheist, one close friend is Catholic, her maiden name, Delaney, gives a clue, and she goes to church on a regular basis, and my sis-in-law is a witch, while another mate is pagan, with particular interest in the druids.
    Me, I’m Pantheistic Humanist, fwiw, and care not a jot what others believe, my only issue is with those who try to push their own faith/beliefs on to myself or others.
    Best wishes for the season to everyone, anyway.

leffeboy

Me, I’m Pantheistic Humanist,

fora moment there I though Perchy had his own religion

Best wishes and peace to all on STW

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Beautiful service this morning

Merry Christmas everyone

BoardinBob

Happy birthday Jesus

(From an atheist)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    miketually
    Free Member

There were 15 people around our Christmas table this afternoon: one practicing Catholic, four practicing Anglicans (one a priest, one licensed to preach), at least three (probably ten) atheists, two lesbians, three under 16, four over 60, four married couples, one ‘spinster’, two vegetarians, one chemo patient, all friends/family. (Some overlaps there, obviously.)

Plus a Labrador, a greyhound, and a border terrier.

Food, wine, laughter, a little bit of grumpiness, a lot of love. What Christmas is all about.

Viewing 27 posts - 201 through 227 (of 227 total)

The topic ‘More Religion on the Beeb’ is closed to new replies.