Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Monday Morning Debrief No.21 – Show us your sanitisation
  • hora
    Free Member

Time for big motocross skids folks!

justinbieber

ha ha. Or tell a bunch of MXers to go ride those trails.

Brrraaappp

scotroutes

Making the countryside easier/more accessible to ALL of the public has a measurable impact on longer term health statistics.

lowey

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Dollywaggon to Grisedale Tarn Lowey?
    That kind of sanitisation is OK by me, but maybe they could adjust the location of the drainage channels a bit!!!

esther
    Free Member

@mintimperial I came across the same ‘resurfacing’ at Windy Hill last weekend. Absolute vandalism and dangerous! I reported it to Rochdale Council who sent it to Natural England. They replied straight away and said they were aware and were working with the landowner to get it sorted but had been hampered by poor weather recently. Sounded as if they were enforcing against the person that did it, hope so!

giddykipper
    Free Member

@ esther (& @ mintimperial). Well done, would suggest going for the hatrick (hattrick?) and report it to the Environment Agency Waste Team 0800 80 70 60. That’s not recycling or materials re-use it’s fly tipping.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mintimperial – that isn’t actually the bridleway, the bridleway is off to the left of that shot around the other side of the small hill.
    Earlier this year i spoke to the chap who was driving that digger, he’s bought the old ruin in the valley bottom and was going to renovate it and the first step was to build a road into the site. He owns that land (or did) and it is private. He was going to fence it and signpost the bridleway. It does seem like its all been abandoned since then though and the digger burnt out.
    The bridleway is really overgrown so maybe a summer of riding that one instead will open it up?
    When you come down from the antenna, instead of bearing right head straight on and your on the BW.

dadster21
    Free Member

All I can say is thank heavens for two cr*p winters and pretty rotten summers. The sanitised bridleways round our way were filled with hard pack chalk stuff which when very wet turned to sludge and when slightly damp was like riding on slippery slime. Now with weathering they are nearly back down to the underlying original hardpack surface and nice and tricky. That’s what I like about the money wasted on sanitising these bridleways – the weather always gets it back to something worth riding. Never thought I would look back on the last two years weather with ‘glass half full’ positive thoughts!

yunki
    Free Member

It’s too difficult, it’s too easy, it’s too lumpy, it’s too smooth, as a user group we can encompass opinions ranging from “trail centers are too smooth”, to outrage that people have been braking and leaving bumps!

Do mountain bikers ever really moan about it being too difficult..?

That’s a very depressing thought, and not one that I’m willing to entertain

scotroutes

Define “mountain bikers”. Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of mountain bikes sold in this country will see nothing rougher than a canal towpath. Councils have a responsibility to encourage people to do more exercise and mountain biking (I mean the easy stuff) is a major part of that.

aracer
    Free Member

Making the countryside easier/more accessible to ALL of the public has a measurable impact on longer term health statistics.

There’s loads of countryside which is already accessible to ALL of the public. I doubt very much that flattening a handful of trails which wheelchair users can’t currently get down has any measurable effect on health statistics.

Anyway if they’re going to spend money on this sort of thing then it should be on improving boggy messes which are currently accessible to NOBODY. I can think of plenty of those which nobody would complain about a bit of improvement on.

Baldysquirt

From our experience at Ride Sheffield I doubt any of the decisions made by the council really have mountain bikers in consideration at all. Works are generally driven by horse riders on bridleways. Unfortunately, the law doesn’t give us any rights in comparison to almost any other user. If the law was changed to more accurately represent the proportion of users on the trail (we’re now a pretty big lobby), that would be the only way I can see for us to be properly listened to. A long way off, though, I think. The kind of thing we’re up against:

Stanage causeway

stanage causeway 2

MrAgreeable

I can think of plenty of those which nobody would complain about a bit of improvement on.

Yep. Use the FixMyStreet website or app, get stuff like this on their radar, and it’s a win/win.

hora
    Free Member

From our experience at Ride Sheffield I doubt any of the decisions made by the council really have mountain bikers in consideration at all. Works are generally driven by horse riders on bridleways. Unfortunately, the law doesn’t give us any rights in comparison to almost any other user. If the law was changed to more accurately represent the proportion of users on the trail (we’re now a pretty big lobby), that would be the only way I can see for us to be properly listened to. A long way off, though, I think. The kind of thing we’re up against:

With respect, ‘we’ want it gnarly/abit challenging however its for all users not just us. Don’t forget there will be alot of mountain bikers who wont mind the sanitation. Not everyone is deep into the hobby.

I’ve ridden a few horses, its bloody harder than riding a bike. Taking new/green riders out on a horse- should be open to all, for everyone to try. Gnarly bits restrict newish horse riders somewhat. Nevermind general access.

We have LOTS of the Peaks to ride.

grum
    Free Member

I could sort of see the argument about access, and yes ‘hardcore’ mountain bikers may be alone in wanting challenging paths, but as a walker and general outdoor enthusiast I don’t want to walk along a 6ft wide motorway through the countryside that’s completely unsympathetic to it’s surroundings and lacking in any interest/character. This is what they’ve done in the Lakes in quite a few places.

Never mind the fact that most of it just turns into a loose sea of hardcore at the first good rainstorm, and dumps gravel all over the shop. Apart from anything else it’s a very poor short-term use of public money.

Rio

This one – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-bridleway-ruined after a year of rain has reverted to an unrideable mess as all the road chippings have washed down and piled up around a newly-formed gulley, so that was £15K not well spent. Same thing has now been done to another of my favourite bits; it will be interesting to see how that weathers. Strange thing in both cases is that they improved part of a trail rather than the whole thing, so it’s not improving anyone’s access.

hora
    Free Member

Apart from anything else it’s a very poor short-term use of public money.

That part I do sympathise with. Drainage should be the key focus in the main but for instance Roych Clough DOES need attention.

klumpy
    Free Member

I struggle to think of mountain bikers as disadvantaged. Whatever the letter of the law the fact is we get to ride all the byeways, bridleways, and footpaths, and the paths that don’t even officially exist, and then have a network of trail centres built specially for us that grant us privileged access, and then go onto private land and build our own trail centres usually without even dreaming of asking permission.

I think the fact of everything always going our way has created a sense among us that that is how it’s supposed to be, so on the vanishingly tiny rare occasions something isn’t exactly how we want (as an individual, we don’t even know what we want as a group) it’s somehow an outrage. Look at the fuss some kick up when the forestry damage a non-official cheeky trail in the course of simply doing their job.

Too much of a sense of entitlement growing among us, it’s revoltingly “ramblerish”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

With respect, ‘we’ want it gnarly/abit challenging however its for all users not just us. Don’t forget there will be alot of mountain bikers who wont mind the sanitation. Not everyone is deep into the hobby.

Yes but they dont count 😉 Inexperienced users are unlikely to want to go up a bloody big hill then back down it prefering flatter /easier trails IME of taking them out.

I don’t want to walk along a 6ft wide motorway through the countryside that’s completely unsympathetic to it’s surroundings and lacking in any interest/character. This is what they’ve done in the Lakes in quite a few places

THIS – they lok awful tbh and are not in charachter with the place. the outdoors is not a smooth path
    Erosion is part and parcel of access and is caused more by rain than human action….you cannot realy fight it or prevent it.

Perhaps better to build [ like the walkers/horse riders equivalent of a trail centre] paths and routes they can access rather than doing this to the middle of the countryside?

MTBers do have plenty of options but what worries me is if they over sanitise we will just ride cheeky

mintimperial

esther, cheers for the update. Rochdale Council have acknowledge my query and presumably will pass it on as well, hopefully it’ll add a bit more pressure to get it sorted.

muddydwarf, you’re right, the bridleway needs signposting a bit better if that’s not it! I’ve clearly never actually ridden the BW proper in my entire life and I’ve been down there loads of times…

Technicalities aside, RoW or not it’s a bit dangerous and needs tidying up.

grum
    Free Member

Having a ‘debate’ with some people over on the UKC thread about that Stanage ‘improvement’. Oh dear.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=547397&new=7325651#x7325651

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder whether it would be possible to get DCC to reveal where the legal threat came from by means of a FOI request?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mint imperial – you know where that track eventually crosses the remains of a drystone wall and turns right into a sunken lane?
    That’s the bridleway, it comes off the transmitter track just when that turns to the first right, and drops down and contours around the left of the hill that the track in your pic drops down. If you look off left from where you took the pic you’ll see an old drystone wall – the BW is the other side of that. Very overgrown and faint now because we all go the other way!

mintimperial

Yeah, I just had a look with google maps, the BW line is clearly there but it’s very faint where it breaks away from the track, no wonder I’ve never seen it. I’ll take a proper look next time I’m up there.

binners

On windy Hill that particular section is an absolute mess for most of the year. I suspect there is about one day a year where you won’t sink up to your axles in boggy filth.

I’d think whatever they do up there, its not going to last 5 minutes anyway. God knows what that’s going to look like after a winter though? Like the remains of a derelict mill that’s half submerged in a swamp, I imagine

yunki
    Free Member

Define “mountain bikers”.

Baldysquirt

Hora, I totally agree, but some of the recent works (eg the top bridleway from Fox Hagg in Rivelin) have made it increasingly dangerous for inexperienced cyclists with steep, very smooth tracks with no corners to moderate speed. Some minor technical difficulty and narrower trails is accepted to make things safer and easier for new riders not the other way round. Wider, faster trails increase speeds, likelyhood of crashes and trail user conflict. It doesn’t have to be like that and a cooperative approach like that used by Sheffield Wildlife Trust and Ride Sheffield in Blacka Moor is testament to that.

I’m also not talking about making things gnarly per se all the time. The works to Stanage Causeway and to Houndkirk are disliked by all but horse riders and make a visually attractive place that is a recreational resource for a huge number of users, less attractive and less of an attraction to the people that use them most. I’m a walker, a cyclist and a climber and dislike much of the resurfacing work as a countryside user in general.

nbt

As usual there are mnay factors at work here – lack of funds at the appropriate time, lack of knowledge, lack of interest

Part of this can be placed firmly at the feet of mountain bikers. As a whole, we just don’t have the organisation that horse riders, walkers and even 4*4 groups have. This has been evident for quite some time, and I don’t have any answers as to what we can do about it – but the “problem” of “ruined” trails will continue to appear on a regular basis until such time as the MTB community can educate the people responsible so they realise that far from being ideal, the trail repairs they just did to Blue Pig are not sustainable (the gravel will wasg down the hill very quickly in stormy weather), visually unappealing (it sticks out like a sore thumb) and could well lead to increased trail conflict and possibly injury as people are tempted to inappropriate speed by the smooth, flat path.

The only way “they” will be eductaed is if “we” are prepared to put some time in. Join a local club or organisation. Join a national organisation. Ride Sheffield are doping brilliant work and it’s to be hoped that the newly formed Ride Calderdale will be just as successful.
    IMBA-UK has grown dormant, but CTC are working on the MTB scene – many of you will know (or at least know of) Colin Palmer, who’s been steadily working to improve things for the best part of twenty years. If we can get more people to put in a little bit of time, we could suddenly have input into the LAF and Cycle User Groups of every council in the UK. From there, it’s a short step to working with the councils to try to educate them

or we could just go out and ride bikes and wait for someone else to do it

hora
    Free Member

Bill I would help if I was closer. Can do a stint at a weekend/or evening if it helps.

Imagine those who live IN Hebden, make money from there would love to help too.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

@muddydwarf @mintimperial
    Thanks for all the info. Rode the undamaged true BW early this morning.

Turn off is marked by a couple of large rocks.

A lovely section all the way across to the PBW. No wet feet, must be in good nick.

The repaired Pack Horse Road is much better with the slabs over the always boggy parts!!

Cheers
    Paul

lees69
    Free Member

went over from Slack toward Lower Gorple Reservoir last night, the descent has been done with crush and run, totally ruined. Did the blue pig, top is a waste of time, ride the bottom while you can!

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.768209,-2.081308&spn=0.011351,0.031371&t=h&z=16

Harry_the_Spider

Check this out!

http://twitter.yfrog.com/nu9b8paj?sa=0

http://twitter.yfrog.com/gyktlisj

Outwood Trail – Not sure who would want to use that… walkers… horse riders… cyclists?

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Monday Morning Debrief No.21 – Show us your sanitisation’ is closed to new replies.