Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • Miserable, miserable places
  • Xylene
    Free Member

North Shields the high street is like the land of the living dead

nicko74

At the end of Get Carter, the coal(?) buckets dropping slag in the sea. It’s just really really bleak.

Speaking of which, Dashogus in Turkmenistan is pretty bad. Soviet-era buildings, pretty much deprived of investment or infrastructure during the Turkmenbashi years, and divided from the rest of the country by an effing great desert. Lovely friendly people, but a miserable city.

So nobody’s been to Airdrie, then?

http://idler.co.uk/crap-towns/airdrie/

cinnamon_girl

Snobs the lot of you. 🙄

ken_shields
    Free Member

Loddrik

Yes Old Swan 🙄 sorry I’d obviously tried to wipe it from my memory

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Plenty of contenders in central Scotland but I’ll plump for Larkhall.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

I’d agree with central Scotland… It’s hard for me to comment as was born in hull and now live in Dundee…

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Hemel Hempstead. When they cleared the shite out of London guess where they located it? I have never seen so many disabled parking permits in one place. Ugly 60’s estates and backward insular people. Only thing it has going for it is that it is close to London.

RustySpanner

Harpurhey was the birthplace of Anthony Burgess – that was it’s purpose, once it achieved that it just gave up.
    Nice park though, good library and used to go for a pint in The Shiredale, Milan or Derby now and then. 😀

I was brought up on the Blackley, Moston, Harpurhey border and I loved the place and I loved the people.
    Some very nice, friendly pubs in Middleton too 🙂 , been in the Ring o’ Bells?
    Wouln’t get married there but it’s a nice pub.

Where I live in Calderdale seems to have just the same problems, but with banjos.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

London

Horrible miserable place, the people are unfriendly, the air is awful, the water is awful, it take forecver to get out of

ghastly place – and it sucks money out of the rest of the country

coffeeking
    Free Member

The worst place I have ever been in the UK was Lennoxtown in Scotland. I was only a boy but it left a lasting impression.

Lennoxtown isn’t too bad. Nearly bought a house there and I’m fairly picky. I’ve lived near Wigan too, which also isn’t too bad. There’s seriously a lot worse, if you think not I can only assume you’ve not travelled much!

Worst place I can think of, though it’s hard to judge without living there, is somewhere such as Easterhouse or London. Hated every minute I was in London. Grim, horrible grimy place full of noise and, just outside the centre, poverty and crime. no thanks.

backhander
    Free Member

Bridgwater. The refuge of the brainless.

knocker
    Free Member

Can’t understand why Bradford has only one mention, it’s hard to believe that knocking it down could actually make it worse…..but it has. Then there is Dewsbury…..or how about Galashiels? Went there last year whilst staying at Innerleithen and found it to be a depressing hole full of unemployed drunks, couldn’t get away fast enough.

billyboy
    Free Member

Spike Milligan. “I’ve been going through a bad patch ………………..(long pause)………….. LEWISHAM”

or variations on a theme

Milton Jones

When I was young I baked an apple pie and cut it into three. I took one piece to Lewisham, one to Brixton and one to Catford. I’m not sure what the point was, but I dutifully did it because my maths teacher told me to take pie to three dismal places.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Newtown (Powys) as a friend commented ‘any town with ‘New’ in the title is usually s**t!’

iain1775
    Free Member

has anyone mentioned Scumthorpe yet?
    No?
    Must be so bad then that no one here has even bothered to go!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bloody hell – not only is Uranium City really horrible, it’s -32 deg C today!

BigJohn

Scunthorpe?

A polite person would call it Shorpe.

SaxonRider

derek_starship – Member
    Bloody hell – not only is Uranium City really horrible, it’s -32 deg C today!

-32 makes you feel ALIVE!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London

Horrible miserable place, the people are unfriendly, the air is awful, the water is awful, it take forecver to get out of

ghastly place – and it sucks money out of the rest of the country

😆

Bless….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I concur with TJ.
    I’ve been about 6 times & couldn’t wait to get away each time. IMO It’s so bad….my eldest son has lived in Camden for 3 years & I haven’t been to see him yet, but he comes to North Yorkshire & says, ‘what are they Dad’ & I say, ‘fields & trees son’.

molgrips
    Free Member

Grim, horrible grimy place full of noise and, just outside the centre, poverty and crime. no thanks

Lol!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Funny that the haterz have bin here though, eh? 😆

You love it really. You’re just jealous.

I’d quite like you to stay away though. The only moaning miserable people here are people like you. Because you’re miserable anyway.You don’t have to come here you know.

Where’s Onion?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Miserable, me? Hardly. I don’t know how you dare say such a thing seeing as, A) you don’t know me &, B) you never will (hopefully)

You don’t have to come here you know

There IS a GOD!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

how you dare say such a thing

Ooh! Get her! 😆

Here you go love, I think you dropped this:

😉

BTW; where do you live?

nicko74

Anyone been to Yellowknife in Canada? I have a strange urge to go and check it out.

DavidB
    Free Member

Doncaster. I’ve left pubs there because I’ve been shit scared of the women.

twosheds
    Free Member

You can not get much grimmer than some of the places I have been to in Belarus. The towns near Chernobly were very, very grim.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Ffestiniog in North Wales on a wet wednesday aftrnoon. That place is awful.

Oradour sur Glane – that is one miserable place. Dudes google “Oradour sur Glane” for proof.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Apparently, Wolverhampton was voted the fifth worst city in the World. 😯

I din’t think it was quite that bad really.

I once read an article about Magnitogorsk. I don’t think I’d like to live there, but I’d like to visit the place actually, just to experience it’s grimness.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

One of my least favourite places in Britain has to be Warrington. A mate of mine from there, who now lives in London, says he ‘will never live there again’. His sister is equally condemning of the place. I must say, my experience of it wasn’t pleasant; staggering around the town centre on a Sunday morning, really, really hungover, trying to find somewhere to get something to eat. All we found was the cafe in TJ Hughes. It wasn’t too bad really, considering.

The best thing to come out of Warrington, in my friends’ onions:

Hobster
    Free Member

It may have changed recently but Corby used to be an eye opener for the wrong reasons.

ken_shields
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member
    Oradour sur Glane – that is one miserable place.

D!ckhead…..there’s a reason they left it like that

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Maidstone
    Port Talbot
    Sydney, Nova Scotia

rabyoung
    Free Member

Ha ha…Central Scotland…anybody been to Shotts?

rob2
    Free Member

Shotts – lol

My ex girlfriend came from there. Went to the ‘catholic’ pub one night. **** me all sorts of life there. And the co-op just sold red cola and other terrible stuff.

I seem to have lived in lots of these places

North shields – I quite like it, quite well to do now too in places

Did cot – used to live on the lady grove estate when it was first built

Nottingham – lived there as a student

Are there any nice places in the uk?!

JulianA
    Free Member

Dover… awful

… one redeeming feature: the continent’s close.

Oradour sur Glane’s a fascinating place, but disturbing, to say the least. Fort Breendonk’s pretty unpleasant: I stopped taking photos when we got to the torture chamber, because it didn’t seem right any more…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

how you dare say such a thing

Ooh! Get her!

Here you go love, I think you dropped this

I live in Boroughbridge BTW, (& that could be my eldest sons handbag, but I’ve got a Camelbak & a Dakine, neither in pink!)

stratobiker
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member
    Oradour sur Glane – that is one miserable place.

ken_shields –
    D!ckhead…..there’s a reason they left it like that

Really ken???? Is there? When you have finished wiping the egg off your face perhaps you’d like to apologise.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Apologies for the d!ckhead comment, I didn’t give you any credit for knowing why it was like that 😳 ……not miserable….sombre, moving and very sad and certainly not comparable to any of the sh!tholes mentioned in this thread

http://www.oradour.info/

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Miserable, miserable places’ is closed to new replies.