Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)
  • Miserable, miserable places
  • snowslave

I grew up in Preston. It is categorically nay catastrophically worse than Hull.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How could I forget Coldstream!

Not a miserable place as such, but I don’t think I’ve ever met a more miserable population. Everyone in the town seemed to be intent on draining any joy from anything they could.

lunge

Bracknell takes some beating but as a local Dudley takes it. Run down town on top of a hill so it is always cold and windy. Absolute dump.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Grangemouth in Scotland. I visited once as I thought it sounded nice. Jesus tonight what a waking nightmare it is. A bizarre fusion of green fields, grey council houses and INDUSTRY.

I found out it’s the hometown of The Cocteau Twins which goes some way to explaining their weirdness!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Just made a list of all the places I’ve lived, worked or studied in. So far I’ve got Barrow in Furness, Worthing, Stockwell in Saaarf London, Telford, Reading, Bracknell AND Preston.

By all accounts Mogadishu is a bit of a shithole.

It sounds like it might be an improvement on that lot 😀

I really need to move somewhere nicer next time.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Dudley’s saving grace = funny accent.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What about Port Talbot… set to become even grimmer by all accounts.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Hartlepool yet, Sort of like Feltham but without the weather.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah Port Talbot is grim but it’s got the mountains.

slugwash
    Free Member

Didcot. It’s a powerstation with a fookin’ dismal shopping mall attatched to it…

…and that’s about it.

I’d rather stay on the bus untill it reached Grozny* than have the misfortune of alighting in Didcot again.

*(Officially the most destroyed city on earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grozny)

Garry_Lager

Telford’s not that bad is it? (wife’s from Ironbridge, so I’ve done a fair bit of cycling round there). Bland housing estates but there’s so much open space and greenery to offset that.

Fort William’s an imbecile of a town. Guess you can’t call it miserable, as you walk down the road 5 minutes and there’s epic grandeur on tap. The town itself though is well ropey.

epicyclo

Cities.

geoffj

I grew up in Preston. It is categorically nay catastrophically worse than Hull.

I grew up just down the road and I agree. However, I recently met a Spanish bloke from Madrid who had worked at the university (sic) there, and claimed to love the place – bizarre.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Harlow.

Grew up there, never want to go back. Its one saving grace is that as a new town it has a lot of well established bike paths. Trouble is they all lead to the town centre…

chiefgrooveguru

A pilot friend of mine puts Lagos at the top of his list.

Barrow-in-Furness is pretty depressing…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Didcot – it just sounds rubbish. Glad to hear it lives up to its name.

Me and Harry the Spider work in Middleton. It’s a town about four miles west of Oldham and is just ****.

It has quite an impressive bus station but that does nothing to offset the sheer ghastliness of the place. It’s a meeting place for unemployed people with tracky bottoms tucked in socks, cheap tattoes and no point.

plumber
    Free Member

Off the places I’ve visited the biggestshitholes have been

Lennoxtown
    Accrington
    Stoke area
    Rawtenstall
    Calgary
    Barnoldswick

I live in Nelson, nothing to see here either 🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

Agree with Depreston.

Roman Lakes in Stockport anyone? Should be lovely, really isn’t.

twinklydave

Can people stop doing Preston down please, it’s a lovely place.

In completely unrelated news, I’ve just discovered prozac tastes really nice if you eat loads of it 😀

darrell
    Free Member

Bolton

and I’m from there. I go back to visit friends and family a few times a year and my heart sinks everytime the train pulls in to the station

Harry_the_Spider

Middleton Arndale is like something from a horror movie and 1 in 3 of the “walkers” have a pot on their arm or leg or a neck brace.

Pigface
    Free Member

Port Talbot and Aberavan are ok mountains and would you believe some good surf. Locals can be a bit heavy.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Here is Spenner the landlord of Middleton’s fave boozer – The Nob & Basket.

chakaping
    Free Member

Harlow might be a bit grim but at least it’s not very big – unlike the endless suburban sprawl of the west mids.

I was a newspaper reporter in Harlow for a coupe of years and at least there was plenty going on. Think I covered a Combat 18 murder in my first week.

😯

iain1775
    Free Member

Cumbernauld
    So bad they have even dug up the A80 to stop people escaping

“In December 2005 the entire Town Centre won a public nomination for demolition.”

derek_starship
    Free Member

Allow me to show you around Swinton, Salford:

SaxonRider

derek_starship – Member
    I reckon this must be one of the most miserable places in the world.

*Picture of Uranium City*

Imagine having to live and work here.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw the picture you posted derek_starship. I spent my last five years in Canada living and working not in Uranium City, but in a small town in the same region.

What kills you is the isolation and complete lack of culture. But I have to say that the cycling, both on- and off-road, is excellent!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

LOL @ twinklydave 😛

muff
    Free Member

I have the mis-fortune of working in Rotherham, it makes my skin crawl.

However I don’t live here so it’s fine, i can deal with it

muff
    Free Member

Milton Keynes

Oh and milton keynes isn’t that bad… I grew up there. it gets a lot of stick but actually it’s quite nice compared to other towns mentioned here 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Portsmouth

binners

Its a tough call. I can’t make my mind up whats worse.

Whether to go for the Bermuda Triangle of stinking, polluted, brain-dead, hopelessness that is Warrington/Widnes/Runcorn

Or any of the god-awful, soulless, featureless, identikit satellite towns darn sarf – Reading/Woking/Swindon/Basingstoke

dickydutch

Grimsby’s also pretty grim.

Ben_mw

Rhondda valley, especially around Ystrad and Pentre. Always grey and miserable. Gives off an air of no money and no hope. Just completely depressing. And I like Wolverhampton and Dudley, friendly folk.

mancjon
    Free Member

Allow me to show you around Swinton, Salford:

+1 for the sheer ugliness of that building. Although to be fair if you turn around you have a lovely church or the Salford council offices which are much nicer to look at (yes i do live in Swinton).

Mind you if you walked up a bit further up and took a photo of the actual precinct then we are back to your original point 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Widnes is a horrible place. Warrington is redeemed only by the fact it’s possible to cycle through it on TPT and Sankey Valley Trail, oh and I’m in it.
    As above, a lot of the Reading/Woking/Swindon towns are soul destroying but if I’m going to have to pick…. it’s an unusual choice. Lincoln. It’s not that it looks depressing in anyway, it’s actually quite pretty. It’s something far more sinister. You don’t really notice it unless you’re there for more than a few days but then it slowly dawns on you that everyone is either drugged, hypnotised or lobotomised. Nobody seems to do anything, they just wander round in this slack jawed daze, existing.

Very odd.

Kit
    Free Member

John o’Groats

hora
    Free Member

Not my pic:

Stretford Mall, Stretford

Even McDonalds has closed down (probably due to violence and lack of people who can afford the food). Its that bad.

I was once walking through and two school teen mums pushing prams both gave me ‘the eye’. It really depressed me.

binners

Basingstoke deserves a special award. I had the misfortune of having to work there quite a bit a few years back.

The first day i arrived there, my new colleagues asked me what i was doing that evening. “I’m going to find a decent pub and watch the footy” I replied. They looked at each other, startled, then looked back at me as if I’d said I was going racing Unicorns on the Moon.

“There are no decent pubs in Basingstoke” came the communal reply.

They were ****ing right too! The whole place is like a vacuum

molgrips
    Free Member

Rhondda valley, especially around Ystrad and Pentre

Merthyr is worse. Spend an hour waiting for a bus in the bus station. Amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Miserable, miserable places’ is closed to new replies.