Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 208 total)
  • Miserable, miserable places
  • downshep

Surprised Lennoxtown has been mentioned when Linwood and Port Glasgow have no redeeming features whatsoever. Both need razing to the ground, although junkie neds have done much of the work already. Some ex-mining villages in Ayrshire, eg; Crosshill and those in the Drongan triangle, are almost as bad and the natives are inbred knuckle draggers.

Gawd bless HepC and Anthrax laced heroin, best form of population control these feckless miscreants could wish for.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Gawd bless HepC and Anthrax laced heroin, best form of population control these feckless miscreants could wish for.

Well good afternoon STW’s very own philanthropist 😉

SaxonRider

derek_starship – Member

might be asking for some good riding spots if that’ okay ?

Yep – whenever you’re ready mate.

Despite our location – there’s some decent trails – even climbs!

Where on earth are these?!? Having grown up in Canada, I lived in Swinton for three years, and thought I had moved to hell! In all that time, I never got on my mountain bike, because as far as I could see, the only grass in the region was a little needle-ridden patch just before the Tesco before Little Hulton.

Ah, memories! 😥

downshep

Well good afternoon STW’s very own philanthropist

I may be a teeny bit biased from working in these areas. 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Where on earth are these?!?

You were only 2 miles from Waterdale, Hurst Woods and miles of trails up through Moses Gate or up onto the West Penine moors.

tops5
    Free Member

I found Harpurhey in North Manchester to be particularly miserable – and that’s coming from someone born and bred in Barrow! (knew Barrow would get a mention when I saw the thread title 🙁 )

derek_starship
    Free Member

tops5 – Hapurhey is particularly miserable. Most of the boroughs of Manchester are awful: Blackley, Collyhurst, Bradford, Beswick, Moston etc.. All **** up big time. The centre of Manchester is a gem in the middle of a big poo.

because as far as I could see, the only grass in the region was a little needle-ridden patch just before the Tesco before Little Hulton.

Yup – that’s where Hit the North is held 😛 Not really.

tops5
    Free Member

I agree Derek,

Have worked in the “deprived” areas in South Manchester (Mosside,Hulme) didn’t seem anything like as grim somehow

Sonor
    Free Member

No one mentioned Crawley yet?

I’ve never been to Crewe, but a crater on Mars is named after the town.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Any town up the coast of cumbria is pretty depressing. Barrow,askam,millom,Whitehaven ,Workington
    Egromont the list goes on ………..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

No way, Sandown is a nice little place!

I can’t believe theres been no mention of Bradford. Although since working there, I’ve grown kind of attached to it. Wouldn’t want to live there or have to see anymore of it than the 2 minute walk from the station to my office but I don’t think its quite as bad as people make out.

Blackpool out of season – went on a sales conference there once with a previous employer in March. Got told the following day by a taxi driver that we were lucky to have ventured out of the hotel after dark and not be stabbed.

Great Yarmouth – went there when the missus was job hunting. She went for the interview (at a nice little village up the coast) and I scoped out GY and its estate agents. Jesus christ I don’t think I’ve EVER been anywhere as grim. Granted, it was February but words fail me how grim that place was. I will never visit the place again. Ever. Plus the fact it takes soooooo friggin long to get there from anywhere! Its almost as if they don’t want you to go!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

As a few people are sticking up for Hull I thought I’d stick up for Reading too.

As mentioned several places not very far from Reading are much worse.

Reading Town Centre does have some nice Victorian architecture ie town hall, a couple of old church and personally I like the new shopping centre. You cant argue its not busy or that its run down anyhow.

Also with the university having 22,000 students its a pretty vibrant busy place although can obviously can slow down in summer. Although theres the festival in summer.

Also theres some really nice spots nearby for cycling and theres not much that a walk along the Thames on a summer evening and if you head west along it in the summer you actually feel like your out in the country pretty quickly.

Some areas are pretty nice to live in ie caversham and parts the uni.

The main problems with it are the area round the station is ugly which is what most people see when they first arrive. Also the traffic on the “ring road” is terrible and the ring road is just concrete.

Also theres plenty to do there ie Cinema, goto the Footy, loads of bars and clubs and evening a couple of nice pubs.

SaxonRider

Just a little note about Swinton:

I used to live right by Moorside Station, and after I had moved down South, had to commute back there on Friday evenings.

On one occasion, as I walked past the Red Lion, a bunch of yobs across the road started yelling at me, and actually threw open cans of beer at me. Just because I was walking home.

On another, a group of girls (maybe 15 or 16 years of age) were sitting at the top of the station steps, and they tried to trip me as I got to the top.

Not very dramatic, I know, and not nearly as serious as some people on here may have gone through; but bloody upsetting at the time, and reflected the general tone of my experience in those parts.

I guess I just assumed that even if there were trails nearby, I would never make it to them without getting pushed off my bike!

rkk01
    Free Member

Caerau, amongst any number of run down valleys towns.

For those who go to Glyncorrwg via the M4 Sarn Park junction, Caerau is between Maesteg and Cwmmer

Houns

Rochdale and surrounding towns. Lived there for 2 years and it really got me down, can see how the unemployment rate is so high. I’d also started growing fins and gills

ourmaninthenorth

Middleton Arndale is like something from a horror movie and 1 in 3 of the “walkers” have a pot on their arm or leg or a neck brace.

Around 8 years ago, I worked in Middleton (for the now defunct British Vita) for 4 moths. Sometimes I’d go to the Arndale to get a sandwich at lunchtime. I was the only person there (1) in a suit and (2) without a limp and a cough.

I swear they all thought I was from the DSS come to check up on them….

ken_shields
    Free Member

Warrington……toilet, that bomb that went off there was actually part of an urban improvement project

Black Swan district of Liverpool…..fence it off and napalm the whole area

Wolverhampton…..I told and old boss of mine that it was the biggest sh!thole I’d ever been to and he got the arse because he came from there. I then pointed out that if it was so nice why did he live in Oxford. His reply was “fair point”

Philby

Shotts in Lanarkshire – dull, dirty grey social housing with layers of grafitti about various issues like the 1690 Battle of the Boyne which seemed highly irrelevant to the general plight of the place, and probably the only bit of history the residents were aware of. Huge high security prison doesn’t help, and when we went it was raining.

In England it has to be a toss up between Sunderland (even the pound shops have shutters at night), Bradford (where I went to a school which was strategically positioned between a railway, river and a canal with a sewerage works on the other side of the railway) or the north London areas around Tottenham and Edmonton.

BoardinBob

Whitley Bay has to be one of the worst places I’ve been to in the UK. Admittedly I was there on a stag do so I was effectively part of the problem, but the grimness of the town centre on a Saturday afternoon was horrendous. Hordes of skinhead, hackett wearing mentalists ensured the threat of random violence hung permanently in the air.

mancjon
    Free Member

Manor Park in East London, between Ilford and Forest Gate has to be worst place i have lived.

If you weren’t depressed when you moved there you were guaranteed to be by the time you left.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, London has it’s less than desirable spots, but with a little imagination, it’s a fantastic city to live in, overall. I’d rather live in a grim part of London, than a grim part of Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow etc.

But nothing here compares to some other places in Britain. My mate Scottish Kev used to terrify me with tales of some Scottish towns, and said that nowhere in London, or even Darn Sarf, is anywhere near as bad. And there are places in the North, and Wales and that, which are truly depressing. As proven by this thread in fact.

My least favourite place has to be the area of Cornwall around Bude. Yeah there’s countryside and that, but you can’t actually access most of it, certainly not by bike, there’s absolutely **** all to do, speshly if you’re young, and some folk can be incredibly insular and unwelcoming. In my experience the weather was usually shite too. In winter it’s utterly, utterly miserable.

I will be happy to never go there again.

bullheart
    Free Member

Penge.

The arsehole of the UK and no mistake.

andyl
    Free Member

Skelmersdale

The ‘town centre’:

I believe the architect committed suicide after it was built.

hora
    Free Member

Limp and a cough?

Salford Sainsburys at lunchtime mid week. EVERYONE smokes and looks yellowed as though they are pre-swabbed for an operation.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Penge

Ah, come on Bully; it might have a crap name, but it’s not that bad! 😀

mancjon
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, London has it’s less than desirable spots, but with a little imagination, it’s a fantastic city to live in, overall. I’d rather live in a grim part of London, than a grim part of Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow etc.

Each to their own i suppose although have you ever lived in a grim place in any of those places you mention ?

As you can see from the thread a few places in Manchester/Salford have come up but i’d choose those over Manor Park any time.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

you can’t actually access most of it, certainly not by bike, there’s absolutely **** all to do, speshly if you’re young, and some folk can be incredibly insular and unwelcoming. In my experience the weather was usually shite too. In winter it’s utterly, utterly miserable.

Sounds like STW!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where I now live is easily as ‘grim’ as Manor Park, if not worse, Mancjohn, trust me. But I’m ok with it (never known any better! 😀 ). Manor Park’s ok, what you moaning about? You wanna try the aforementioned Tottenham, bits of Peckham, Thamesmead, places like that. I know people in the Manor Park area and they’re quite happy there tbh. Maybe you just din’t fit in.

mancjon
    Free Member

I know people in the Manor Park area and they’re quite happy there tbh. Maybe you just din’t fit in.

Come to think of it, i probably was a bit too friendly to fit in there ie. i actually smiled at people once in a while which as we all know marks you out as a complete nutter down there 🙂

beinbhan

Greymouth South Island NZ

As I described it “a one horse town where the horse died to escape”

snowslave

Blackpool is terrible in season and out of season.

tazzymtb

choke on stench Stoke is pretty hideous
    Hull is grim
    wallasey is hell on earth

crazy-legs

I’m quite surprised Morecambe hasn’t had a mention yet. To be fair it’s improved a lot but it’s one of those seaside towns trading on it’s past glories. The council, bless them, kept trying to do things to the seafront and promenade area ignoring the fact that if you turned away from the views across the bay you were faced with a grim shithole of a town mostly populated by DSS, a closed and derelict hotel (now rebuilt/reopened), a closed and derelict Mr Blobby theme park, several dozen “amusement arcades” and an ALDI which was about the height of shopping sophistication for the residents.

flip
    Free Member

Port Hedland, Western Australia.

Being the highest tonnage Iron Ore port in Oz, everything in town is red 😐 the dust clings to everything.

You sweat so much because the climate of Port Hedland is warm to hot, with mean maximum temperatures of 36.4 °C (97.5 °F) in January and 27.1 °C (80.8 °F) in July.

Drab drab drab, only mile long trains to amuse you..

Only plus side is it’s the best base for trips to Wittenoom and Karijini 😉

SaxonRider

…an ALDI which was about the height of shopping sophistication for the residents.

Hey! ALDI’s pretty cosmopolitan. Besides LIDL, it’s the only place one can get bockwurst and bratwurst.

flip
    Free Member

Greymouth South Island NZ

+1

Have you been to Haast? The sandflies nearly ate me dead.

nedrapier

Ellesmere Port. Specifically, a certain lead salts sludge pit…

I was just looking for that “Skegness is **** Shit! – (issued by the Mablethorpe tourist association) poster that viz did a while ago. I hadn’t realised it’s almost an exact copy of an actual Skegness tourist poster – So Bracing!

anono

Sad to see that Stevenage (aka the ‘Nadge) hasn’t got a few more mentions. Basically its Slough with all the character and charm erased.

loddrik
    Free Member

Ken shields, what is the black swan district?

I assume you must mean Old Swan?

FYI anything north of Old Swan is pretty horrendous. About two thirds of the city. I love it all the same though.

loddrik
    Free Member

Guildford, full of rich Tory voting snobs.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Miserable, miserable places’ is closed to new replies.