Home Forums Chat Forum Miele washing machine: Worth it?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Miele washing machine: Worth it?
  • AdamT

My washing machine died. I’m considering a Miele. They’re supposed to be great, but why is it that only they astronomically priced models have a lengthy warranty?

I see other good reviews of them online, but us lot probably throw much dirtier stuff in our machines than the average gym goer.

TIA

cinnamon_girl

Nope, quality went downhill. Wouldn’t buy another.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mine seems OK – got £100 back and a years supply of their washing liquid canisters so it wasn’t much more than a Bosch.

What’s gone downhill on them ?

Kitted out the whole kitchen with Miele stuff now and it seems pretty good, it is certainly a lot heavier than normal stuff – the builder/fitter reckoned.

He was also impressed with the ease of fitting the slimline dishwasher, compared to other brands. He normally fitted Neff I think.

Denis99
    Free Member

We have had a Miele washing machine for the last 8 years.

Family of five adults, me with my mountain of mtb cycling gear.

Hasn’t faltered once.

Best washing machine we have ever had.

Will buy another when this one dies without a second thought.

wiggles
    Free Member

Ive got a beko that was £200 7 years ago, two adults and two kids in the house it takes a hammering (on twice a day probably) and I have just had to change the motor brushes (cost £9 and took me 10 mins) and it is working as well as when I bought it.

Was recommended beko by a mate who does appliance repairs for cheap parts and availability, I honestly cant see what benefit you get from spending 2 or 3 times as much.

Whats dead about the current one? if you do a bit of research they can quite easily be fixed a lot of the time.

cinnamon_girl

Decades ago I had Miele appliances that all worked very well. In my new life I had to buy new appliances so again went for Miele washing machine, fridge/freezer and vacuum cleaner. In a one person household both the washing machine and fridge/freezer necessitated repairs within the first couple of years. As far as I’m concerned the quality has deteriorated.

For my little dishwasher I went for Siemens that has worked fine although it feels cheap and flimsy.

I’m a hard lady to please. 🙂

stumpy01

How much do they cost…? Our £300 Zanussi has just packed up (knackered bearings) after 10 years.
    It wasn’t particularly level since we moved (6 years ago) as the very corner of the flooring drops away slightly and it wasn’t possible to adjust the necessary foot (only 2 front feet adjustable). I suspect this has increased the wear/load on the bearing so had it been flat it might still be fine.

We’ve just replaced it with a £250 Beko which has a great spec. and so far seems really good. You can barely hear it in the living room, whereas the old one sounded like someone banging saucepans in the kitchen, again probably due to the fact that it wasn’t level.
    Most importantly, you can adjust all 4 feet on the new one…!

mikedabear
    Free Member

Yes mate they are worth every penny. Miele appliances are head and shoulders above the rest for robustness and longevity. I have had customers that have had theirs for 20 or more years with out a hitch.
    Saying that we bought a LG with direct drive it has been faultless for about 3 years so far.

Flaperon

Buy an LG. It’ll be just as good as the Miele and if it breaks three years in and you have to replace it you’ll still be better off.

Isn’t all Miele / Bosch / Neff / Siemens stuff all made in the same factory to the same design, anyway?

timba
    Free Member

Have a look at Blomberg[/url]
    They’ve a 3-year warranty and are available from local Euronics shops

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Isn’t all Miele / Bosch / Neff / Siemens stuff all made in the same factory to the same design, anyway?

I don’t think Miele is in that group.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Buy an LG. It’ll be just as good as the Miele and if it breaks three years in and you have to replace it you’ll still be better off.

throw away society…

Flaperon

Hypothetically. My LG is 8 years old and has worked perfectly (it’ll probably break catastrophically as I write this…) from day 1.

The point is that Miele do not make washing machines “better” than most other manufacturers. I suspect in a reliability survey they’re pretty much all on a par with each other, but when the Miele one makes it to a ripe old age it’s “because it’s a Miele”, not because statistically there’s not much to go wrong in a modern washing machine.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Miele appliances

Miele *WET* appliances. Their refrigeration stuff is made by Liebherr (which are good quality but I think their own branded stuff is less than Miele

Our washing machine and dishwasher certainly feel better quality than the AEG/Bosch stuff we had last but too early to tell on life. The ‘old technology’ non-W1 range of washers are possibly better than the newer stuff.

br
    Free Member

Washing machines should be white and a name you’ve heard of.

We’ve had a Candy fro about 4 years now (large load), replaced a 10 year old Hotpoint.

Neither cost more than £200.

rmacattack
    Free Member

too spendy, far more options out there.

Fat-boy-fat

Miele washer-dryer here for 15 years. Not one problem in all that time. Fantastic. As time has gone on, have replaced a Bosch fridge and dishwasher with Miele and the replacements have been different class. Highly recommended.

cheers_drive

Our John Lewis washing machine chine is 11 years old and has survived 2 house moves and very hard water. My parents have the same model and its also still going strong.

rmacattack
    Free Member

all the people commenting that have had machines x number of years. appliances have all different internals in them now. the older ones were more robust, less electronics , easier to replace parts, less parts etc.
    modern ones are made to fail , to hard to fix that its cheaper to just replace. that is there business model

jambalaya
    Free Member

Miele tumble drier, 15 years old still going strong and did 10 years of family duties. When we needed a washing machine we boight Bosch on the basis a Miele would have to last twice as long to justify the cost. Can’t comment on todays manufacturing quality but imo it’s the right concern to have.

AdamT

Lots of info thanks. My current machine is a Samsung and it’s either a hall sensor or wiring loom or both. I hate throwing stuff, but it’s not a cheap repair and I don’t know what’s around the corner.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Other thoughts. We have a 15+ year old Bosch machine that’s still running in a rental flat without ever having needed any attention. I can’t confirm whether a new Bosch is as good as that but a new Miele still feels better made than a 15 year old bosch.

SiL had her mother’s Miele Dishwasher that was well over 20 years old when finally retired. Hard to tell what’s under the hood but a new Miele still has a lot of the construction that it had that, say, a recent Bosch doesn’t – metal spinner bars, better quality plate trays etc etc.

Blazin-saddles

“Some recent Bosch”

Unlike Miele, Bosch manufacture to several price points, their top machines are very good, the bottom range, not so much.

Miele are very good, worth the price? not sure.

km79
    Free Member

Miele washing machines are a lot like VW Transporters, no better than most of the other stuff but priced higher and marketed to attract the ‘lifestylers’. They then love to tell everyone about the quality of the thing to justify paying the extra premium for the ‘badge’.

mattyfez

It seems to be luck of the draw, I bought a second hand hotpoint 7 years ago, for £250, it was about £600 to buy new, and was about 2 years old at the time and was quite high spec. Never went wrong.

Sold it to a mate about 6 months ago for £100, still going strong as far as im aware.

tom200

I got my parent Miele dishwasher when they moved to a new house with integrated appliances, it was 12 years old. 7 years later they are on their 3rd new dishwasher and mine hasn’t skipped a beat.

What sum it’s up is when you open it up you get an exploded parts diagram, when you open up a hotpoint you just get cut arms! Nuf said.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The point is that Miele do not make washing machines “better” than most other manufacturers.

Mine seems to be a lot heavier than any other machine my builder has fitted, same for the dishwasher.

modern ones are made to fail

Miele state their machines are built to expect a 20 year lifecycle.

My mates parents have a Miele kitchen where everything is still working, and it is 35 years old apparently.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am with others – buy cheap and replace as necessary. I have a Beko – larger capacity than any Miele (I believe) and considerably less money.

Ours is now coming up four years old, gets used twice a day most days (two young girls). Just had to replace the door handle which (even for a numpty like me) was easy (and only cost £7)

johndoh
    Free Member

Miele state their machines are built to expect a 20 year lifecycle.

The issue with that is that technology will have moved on hugely in 20 years – what was the energy rating and drum capacity of a Miele 20 years ago?

cranberry
    Free Member

To Miele or not has me thinking of the Sam Vines “Boots” theory of socioeconomic unfairness:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The point is that Miele do not make washing machines “better” than most other manufacturers

The point is that they do. It’s a different approach

https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/miele-washing-machines/ is as good a summary as any (from a repair man)

“I don’t think for a minute that someone like Hoover or Indesit couldn’t make a washing machine to rival Miele. It would take them a long time to get right, and Miele have a hell of a head start, but Miele make exceptionally high quality appliances and the others don’t because they all make, exactly what they want to make. Most appliance manufacturers simply do not want to make high quality products, they want to sell multi-millions and go for the mass market.”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The issue with that is that technology will have moved on hugely in 20 years – what was the energy rating and drum capacity of a Miele 20 years ago?

Energy rating is somewhat moot as the cost of a new machine (and the environmental impact of dumping the old one and making the new one) will dwarf the energy savings of a slightly better energy rating.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Miele washing machines are a lot like VW Transporters, no better than most of the other stuff but priced higher and marketed to attract the ‘lifestylers’. They then love to tell everyone about the quality of the thing to justify paying the extra premium for the ‘badge’.

This is a foolish statement. Both Miele washing machines and VW T5’s use technology and materials that other manufacture’s deem to expensive to use. Hence the difference in price.

FuzzyWuzzy

The price premium is a bit too much on them for me given I’ve not had issues with cheaper brand washing machines (Zanussi and Samsung), the Zanussi lasted 10 years and the Samsung is still going strong after 9 (although admittedly I am in a one person household). I think if I had had failures within 5 years on both I would have gone for a Miele third time around but as it is even if my Samsung dies this year I still wouldn’t thing the Miele premium is worth it.

wynne
    Free Member

We’ve got a two year old Miele in our holiday let laundry that seems to be working very well despite customers washing all sorts of filthy stuff. We bought the Miele because it was recommended for use in an unheated outbuilding. In the house we’ve got a Siemens that has been great over the last four years. Siemens seems to have a reputation for quality without the Miele price tag (not far off though).

prettygreenparrot

Miele every time. No need to go for the fancy ones. Just get the basic WDA101 or WDA111 from John Lewis.

Maybe a Bosch. Bosch and Siemens are the same. But Siemens usually carries a premium. I was tempted by an LG because they looked snazzy.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

When our last machine broke down I was told by the repair man to ‘just buy a basic Miele’

I did and that was around 12 years ago. Whether I’m just lucky I couldn’t say.

What I can definitely say is the thing is extremely well built. The outer drum is stainless (not plastic), I’m told the counterweight is cast iron and the steel plate of the outside is tank-like not foil-like. It is monumentally heavy.

BTW, the other advice I was given by repair man was to run a 95C wash every fortnight (empty). Will keep the internals nice and gunk free

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Miele washing machine: Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.