Home Forums Bike Forum Mayhem bike choice

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mayhem bike choice
  • Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

I must be the 5 millionth tw&t to ask this, but… Being lucky enough to have the choice, what do you think is best for osmm: hardtail or fullsuss? Love my athem x to death, but thinking I’ll be better off with the hardtail when faced with my 4th time round! If I could remotely lock my rear shock I’d be in business. What would you choose

DrDomRob
    Free Member

My bro went last year and suggested the course was suited to a short travel full susser since there was a lot of small but shortly spaced bumps…. The sort that make your teeth judder and shake you off the pedals as you go over them.

I’m taking a hardtail though, don’t have a FS yet otherwise I would take one.

5thElefant
    Free Member

FS every time. Unless it rains, then a pair of handlebars and some running shoes.

Oggles
    Free Member

Hardtail personally. I don’t think there’s ever anything that warrants rear suspension.
    If you want the comfort then short travel like the anthem would be OK.

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Oggles mate, you’re not going fast enough then! ;-)

crazy-legs

Short travel full sus every time, your back and arse will thank you for it at 4am.
    Unless it’s wet when you want the hardtail with the thinnest mud tyres you can buy.

Oggles
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant in the context of the Mountain Mayhem course ;-) whoops

40mpg

Rigid ss for me every time as its easier to drag through the mud.

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

I’m going anthem then so far. Waiting for the hardcore hardtailers to finish eating their tea

stusummerside
    Free Member

Short travel full suss i raced the osmm on my hardtail in 2009 my back was in bits so id go full suss

MrTall
    Free Member

I always take a HT and a FS so i have the choice there.

As said above, if it’s muddy then HT all the way, if it’s dry then take your pick. FS in Mayhem mud is really not much fun though.

Whatever you do, don’t take a 29er.
    There are corners and bumps and all sorts. You’ll never make it round your first lap.

njee20
    Free Member

Take both. I’d say (and will ride my) short travel FS.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Rigid ss for me too!!

Not like theres any hills… 8O

4ndyB
    Free Member

I’m in with the Retrobike clan, so during daylight hours it’ll be one of 2 hardtails, during the night the modern short travel susser will be the weapon of choice ;)

postierich
    Free Member

To have any enjoyment after handing over loads of dollars I would personally ride my postbike as it might offer me a bit of a challenge!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Done about 5 years on FS but last year I did all bar one lap on my hardtail. No probs.

As it’s got an Alfine hub, I was never caught out in the wrong gear for any of the climbs. I was quicker by a fraction on my HT.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I shall be taking my commuting hybrid.

I’ll be calling it a ’29er’ though….

ourmaninthenorth

I shall be taking my cross bike.

And calling it a rigid 29er.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

:lol:

I might take me rack off…

ourmaninthenorth

Does that mean I need to ditch the mudguards and reflectors..?

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Took the ht round the malverns this morning. Let’s just say the fs is coming with me to mm. Cheers for all the responses

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem bike choice’ is closed to new replies.