Home Forums Bike Forum Maxxis tyre compounds…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Maxxis tyre compounds…
  • Littleman
    Free Member

Hi, I know yet another tyre thread, sorry, but I’d like to hear some opinions on maxxis’ tyre compounds.

I’m going to need some new tyres soon (27.5), and after way too much time on the internet I think I’ve got narrowed it down to the rather boring/ubiquitous choice of Maxxis Minion DHR rear, and DHR or DHF front. I ride a range of terrain and don’t change tyres often so I’m after an all rounder tyre, there may be faster rolling ones, there may be grippier ones in the gloop, but I’m after a jack of all trades I guess.

I’ve got 30mm internal width rims, so looking to go for the 2.4 / 2.5 wide trail versions and as I’m small and light I think I should be able to get away with the exo casing front and rear, but I can’t decide between the options.

Choice I’ve got it down to is:-

Front: Minion DHR 3c maxx terra 2.4 WT or Minion DHF 3c maxx grip 2.5 WT
    Rear: Minion DHR 3c maxx terra 2.4 WT (again), or Minion DHR dual compound 2.4 WT

So, the DHR seems to be the best reviewed / received (front an rear), and I quite like the idea of that in the grippiest / softest compound on the front (Maxxgrip), but the DHR isn’t available in that compound, only the “mid” 3c compound (maxx terra). The DHF is available in the maxx grip.

So if you’ve read this far, thanks, and my two questions are:-

1. DHF with softer maxx grip compound or DHR with slightly ‘harder’ maxx terra compound on the front? So I guess do I prioritise compound or tread pattern?
    2. How durable is the maxx terra on the rear? Any experience here? I’m tempted to go for the harder dual compound for it to last longer on the rear but will that be a bit rubbish?

Any advice / opinions (other than stop over thinking it, I know…)

Thanks

kelvin

I have that 27.5 WT combo (Grip DHF front, Terra DHR rear), is good. Tried the DHR on the front in summer as well…also good, but quite a lot less volume/cush than the DHF.

BillOddie

Max Terra 2.5 WT DHF on the front and Dual Compound 2.3 DHF on the rear for me.  Seems to go well.

joemmo
    Free Member

I have 2.5WT DHF max terra on the front and 2.4WT DHR2 dual compound on the back. Previously had the max terra compound on the back as well but longevity wasn’t great and I haven’t found much difference. 2.5 DHF on the front is super grippy though, very pleased with it.

ocrider

I’ve had both 3C Maxx Terra and bog standard dual compound EXO DHRII on the back of my bike, riding on dirt and rocky trails in southern France. The Maxx Terra centre knobs wear down faster and cost more, so the cheapskate’s choice wins for me.
    I wouldn’t write off double down for the rear if your budget stretches to it.

Littleman
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. Being a bit of a cheapskate (£50 – £60 a pop is a lot for me to me replacing too often), I think I might go for the dual compound dhr on the rear given feedback on here. Just need to decide on the dhr terra o dhf grip for the front now.

I weigh 57kg in riding gear so not sure I need double down given the added heft. Not a weight weeny at all but just not sure I need it. I guess I’ll never know without buying an exo and finding out one way or the other!

mark90
    Free Member

I think it largely come down to where/how you ride. I mostly ride loamy rooty woods, not much rock, and have not had an issue running EXO front and rear with sensible pressures. Though I didn’t run them for Snowdon or Ard Rock trips. A mate who rides the same loamy rooty trails runs double down rear but he is harder on rear tyres/wheels than me. So, it depends…..

singlepace
    Free Member

I ride a steel hardtail in generally muddy conditions, and run Maxxis DHR2 2.4 WT 3c on the front and a duel compound HR2 2.3 on the rear which I would a great combination for muddy tails and also in the Lake District (UK) which are very rocky trails.

The Maxxis DHR2 particularly gives good mud clearance, good directional control and fantastic braking

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i run DHF 3C on the front of 2 bikes (2.35 although just got a new WT 2.5 for the next replacement), tredz have them £40.99 less £5 code RCY7PFW2
    27.5 x 2.5 WT exo 3c maxxterra
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/mountain-bike-tyres-mtb?q=DHF+3c+WT

i’m not a fan of the DHR as i feel its too slow at times, too much grip, definately good for winter but i’ve just changed to a Minion SS Exo silkworm £29 @CRC on my winter hardtail, its so much quicker

i use a minion SS exo allround on my trail FS (rarely have a problem with grip)
    although just stuck an Ardent Race 3C on for summer XC events in the next month,

i run 28mm/30mm internal rims and feel the profile is ok on the 2.3-2.35 maxxis.

Littleman
    Free Member

Curveball here, but anyone got any experience of the Michelin wild enduro front? Don’t quite understand the difference between the two compounds but I’m feeling a little nostalgic about the old comp tyres when I used to race dh back in the day, so might be worth a punt on the front?

assjazz
    Free Member

Is it possible to get the MaxGrip version of Minion DHF tyre without it having a DH sidewall?

Littleman
    Free Member

Yes I believe so.

Kahurangi

I’m running DHF2 MaxxGrip 2.5 front, DHR2 MaxxTerra 2.4 rear both Exo. I tied with the Dual compound on the rear before, tried the 3C on the rear and have bought the 3C pair again (yep, Tredz could get them both, without having to go to the German shops). Yes it costs a tenner more, but the dual compound lacked straight the line braking and outright grip of the 3C. It’s worn out faster though.

I was nearly able to get this pair from an actual shop (Cycleworks North East, shout out to them) but hey had the DD not the Exo :-)

assjazz
    Free Member

…in 29×2.5 (sorry, forgot that bit)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I find the bog standard dual compound 2.3/2.4 DHR2 to be spot on, on the back of the bike.

Generally run the 3C Max Terra on the front, as it’s nice and grippy. Never felt the need for more on a specific tyre compound (it’s always a DHF or Shorty on the front).

That said, on my shorter travel bike it’s been running a bog standard dual compound DHF 2.3 on the front, which has been fine. The back – same compound Ardent, is certainly on the loose side of things :)

kelvin

Is it possible to get the MaxGrip version of Minion DHF tyre without it having a DH sidewall?

Yes, in 275, but not in 29… for some crazy reason.

jonesyboy

I’m still confused as to why lots of new trail bikes come with downhill tyres. A friend’s orange crush has dhf and dhr from new, surely some trail/xc tyres would be better?

Currently running a Terene up front and a semi slick out back, plenty of grip.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

People have trail ridden DHF/DHR’s for years (well, everyone I ride with has, and judging by what I see out on the trails too).

Although I do struggle with why people are running massive, heavy WT versions for normal riding.

dc1988

Have you thought about a Magic Mary on the front, I find it’s a better all rounder for British weather than the DHF. I run both and the MM is definitely better in wetter conditions and can more than hold its own in the dry.

Littleman
    Free Member

Yeah, thought about a MM, but thought it might be a bit draggy. Plus I’ve heard stories of nobs ripping off etc so thought maxxis would be a safer bet durability wise.

assjazz
    Free Member

Yes, in 275, but not in 29… for some crazy reason.

Ahhh thanks. At least I’m not going crazy. I’ve been searching everywhere.
    Does seem a bit strange!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyre compounds…’ is closed to new replies.