Home Forums Chat Forum Looking at getting a pooch. Cockapoo? Trial?

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Looking at getting a pooch. Cockapoo? Trial?
  • spooky211
    Free Member

We have a Patterdale terrier and she’s a great wee dog. They’re bred for ratting and bolting foxes so have a lot of energy. Been on a few 10 mile rides with her so far and she’s be great, she can outrun just about any other dog, even some collies have a tough time keeping up! Definitely need to be on top of the training though as they’re quite stubborn, independent wee dogs. We have a wee baby as well and she’s great with him.

It’s our first dog and would totally recommend the breed.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We got a Schnoodle 13 maths ago. Absolutely love him to bits. I had 2 kids who were extremely nervous around dogs and tbh after a few bad experiences with the animal refuge (you can’t have this if you have kids or if you work more than 1hr per week) we decided to buy our dog.

He doesn’t shed at all. He is part schnauzer so is a brilliant guard dog and very terrier like. Can easily keep up with slightly bigger cockers (he loves to chase and wrestle). He has been everything we wanted for our family and more. So much so that we pick up his new little brother next week. We have gone for a Schnauzer pedigree this time. For no other reason than we didn’t want another dog having to be measured up against our current dog.

tenfoot

“Please take a step back before buying a popular ‘brand’ like a cockapoo; they really are a minefield and spending money on one risks supporting the criminals who profit from supplying apparently legit dogs to the grey intermediaries. Plus as mentioned above, there is a higher risk of shallow gene-pool and early heartbreak for your family”

As with all dogs, visiting the breeder, seeing the dog’s parents and getting a feel that the breeder is legit by asking pertinent questions about the breed and their background, helps.
    Our almost 3 yo Cockerpoo is bombproof, and we’ve had no problems with her health at all.

She will walk as long as we are out. Furthest I’ve taken her so far is around 6 miles. I’ve run with her once or twice too, but as mentioned above, they like to stop and sniff, and mine is particularly keen on foraging around the woods. Don’t think I would ever ride with her though.

highlandman
    Free Member

Oh, and the right dog can run all day without drama. I know a border terrier who ran the West Highland Way Race in one go a few years back, without any grief. She was a bit tired after but fine; owner had built her up to it carefully. I remember seeing her happily mooching around under bar tables looking for treats right after running a 55 mile race.
    And the ‘wrong’ dog (step up, Labradors) can run themselves to death in as little as 30 miles, so it’s highly irresponsible to take them far. So we banned all dogs from competition, but not from training events.

tonyg2003

“Patterdale terrier and she’s a great wee dog. ……on top of the training though as they’re quite stubborn, independent wee dog.”

We have a Patterdale (aka the Patterdevil) and I wouldn’t recommend them as a first dog. He makes training our previous and current Border terriers look like training Golden labs with a handful of food in your hand at all times… Amazingly fit though

digga
    Free Member

highlandman

Please take a step back before buying a popular ‘brand’ like a cockapoo; they really are a minefield and spending money on one risks supporting the criminals who profit from supplying apparently legit dogs to the grey intermediaries. Plus as mentioned above, there is a higher risk of shallow gene-pool and early heartbreak for your family.
    Again as above- get a scruffy rescue dog, which is likely to be a better trail dog anyway.

^This.

Rescue dogs rock, especially Staffy cross breeds.

Next door have a Cockapoo. It’s a stupid, stupid dog and they are despairing of it. All it does is bark, at nothing, non stop. It’s harmless enough and it does not really bother us, but I know it drives them mad because they’ve tried everything to stop it yapping. I thought it was just this one, by last night, Mrs Digga was talking about a work colleague with exactly the same problem with a Cockapoo, only it barks in the middle of the night too…

Popularity leads breeders to intensive and irresponsible breeding.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Now that SWMBO has given up working and we’ll therefore have someone at home we’re also thinking about getting a dog. We’ve tried the rehoming places but dogs that they’re willing to place with inexperienced owners are few and far between. Starting looking at puppies to be told what a minefield that can be as well – some folks seem to think you need to have a degree in dog ownership backed by decades of experience before being allowed in the same room as a dog!

I’d initially thought we’d be a decent choice – detached house, decent sized secure garden with a high fence, no kids at home, one of us at home all day, easy access to great walking as we live on the edge of the Pentland hills. Apparently not though.

myti
    Free Member

You sound ideal. How odd.

epicsteve
    Free Member

You sound ideal. How odd.

For the rehoming folks it just comes down to a lack of experience as the majority of the dogs they have available have issues, and many have been rehomed unsuccessfully several times.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Looking at getting a pooch. Cockapoo? Trial?’ is closed to new replies.