Home Forums Bike Forum Lightweight xc shoe for road riding

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lightweight xc shoe for road riding
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

My current mtb shoes are 10 years old, and given I only ever use them on gravel or winter road bike I’m looking for a lightweight replacement, ideally something that looks like a road shoe that is easier to walk in at the cafe

not wanting to spend a fortune, what’s out there?

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve got Fizik X5 Terra which are nice. Fairly narrow fitting.

robbo1234biking
    Free Member

What is not spending a fortune for you?

I really like the specialized recon and they do from a 1.0 (from £65) to a 3.0 (from £180) so hopefully something to suite your budget.

susepic

These fit your light and road-alike thought, ok to walk in at the cafe, and if you can still find in your size they are reduced.
    S-Works Vent EVO Gravel Shoes
    https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/108340/2022-s-works-vent-evo-gravel-shoes/

If those now hard to find,some flavor of Spesh Recon shoe or one of their gravel shoes would prob do the trick

nt80085

I use Giro Sector mtb shoes for XC, bike packing and long road rides where speed isnt that important. Ive got fairly wideish feet and these are very comfortable.

ransos
    Free Member

My Lake gravel shoes are fantastic, but probably fail the budget test. GX238 I think.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another vote for Recons (I’ve got the 3.0s). I found they were pretty rubbish on MTBs for various reasons, but they make good road/gravel shoes.

infovore

I ride Giro Rincons on road and gravel and like them a great deal – light, comfortable, no skidding around on SPD-SLs. I’ve done about 4000km on them at least.

didnthurt

Shimano XC7s can be had for £130 ish.

Or if that’s too much then look at the XC5 or XC3.

I’ve Shimano shaped feet but as with all shoes, might be better to try them on first.

If you don’t like the above then try searching for gravel shoes, they’re essentially xc shoes but have minimal tread and can be even lighter.

Shimano also make them too, RX6 and RX8.

onewheelgood

I use the XC7s on my gravel bike and road bike. I think I paid £125. Good shoes.

snotrag

Yep, was just about to say whatever the current shimano ‘XC’ range is – looks like the middle of the range one gets BOA dial, that will be superb.

fazzini

Came here to say Spesh Recon. Beaten to it.

allyharp

Giro Sector

Is what I use too. 

Watch out if you go with the Fizik Terra. They’ve got an unusual join between the inner and outer shoe on the inside of the foot, just below the ankle which caused me a lot of discomfort. So give them a good wear around the house first. I managed to get a warranty refund as the pair I had were a bit worse than most, but several fresh ones in other colours still had a prominent bump compared to other shoes. That’s when I looked at the Giro above. 

It only affected one of my feet so is most likely a personal foot shape issue. 

Lovely shoes otherwise so I would’ve kept them if I could. 

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks all

i really like the look of the sworks recon lace up shoe. Not cheap, and I have my reservations about laces. But they look ace.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.