Home Forums Bike Forum Light xc mud tyre

• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by mboy.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Light xc mud tyre
  • skellnonch
    Free Member

What’s the preferred xc race tyre for muddy conditions?

Yak

I still have a pair of bonty mud x for this sort of thing. When we needed another pair, I went for phantom muds. They are mostly not used (maybe 1 or 2 rides), but ready to go for the next mudder. If not too bad, then (old pattern) forecasters are ok.

happybiker
    Free Member

Maxxis Beaver? I have a pair in 29 and 27.5 not being used if you’re interested.

zippykona

We need to get the Bonty Mud back. As far as I can see all gravel mud tyres are shit. They could call it the G. Mud and the whole world would rejoice.

It’s light,it’s fast and goes up tubeless a doddle. The most perfect tyre ever made.

susepic

Light XC mud tyre – a contradiction in terms?

My fasttrak was doing OK yesterday in muddy bits of Stanmer and around, but it’s not “proper” muddy yet. I’ll put a nobby nic on the back soon, and keep the groundcontrol on the front, tho GC does get a little drifty which is not great so might go for something with a little more bite.

Both the NN and GC don’t look wildly different to the Beaver tread pattern mentioned above.

snotrag

The older V1 Forekaster.

Current one is a much bigger trail type tyre, but the old one is a relatively skinny, but spiky, wet weather tyre.

jonnyrockymountain

there is not really much out there, although maxxis do a wet xc in severe ? but never tried it, and michelin do one called wild xc ?

joebristol

Another vote for the v1 Forekaster – that was fairly fast rolling yet dug out surprising grip in the slop.

Kryton57

And another for the V1 Forecaster…  I’ll likely be racing on them in a months time….

dawson

Would a Barzo be worth a look? May get overwhelmed in deeper stuff?

temudgin

I’ve been impressed with a Hutchinson Taipan XC 2.1 on the rear and a 2.25 on the front.

jfab

Not sure about racing but I like the 2.25 Barzo as a fast XC tyre that works surprisingly well in the mud. Tried the 2.6″ and it was a floaty mess though so just switched back.

ac282

Barzos are good but not a full mud tyre. I’ve got a pair of Maxxis Beavers which only come out for the occasional muddy XC race and they do make a big difference.

mboy
    Free Member

Schwalbe Dirty Dan 29×2.0″ was reintroduced with Super Race carcass and Transparent (tan) sidewall relatively recently, after the fallout of it being removed from the range when the “Super” carcasses came in to effect…

zippykona

How does the Dirty Dan compare to Bonty Muds?

djflexure

Rocket Ron?

mboy
    Free Member

How does the Dirty Dan compare to Bonty Muds?

Faster rolling for sure… Been a long while since I used either though to be fair.

Rocket Ron?

For most people, most of the time, would tend to agree with you… It’s described as a “wet conditions XC tyre” though, it definitely doesn’t work as well in full on mud as well as others, but most people never ride in full on mud and a tyre such as the Rocket Ron provides a much better compromise that still works well in a variety of other conditions too. Still available in a 2.1″ version too (though rarely seen) though the 2.25″ is narrow enough for most people on modern bikes… The 2.35″ version definitely floats a bit more over the terrain than digging in, but its knobs are slightly larger too…

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

Seems to be a few recommendations here for tyres that aren’t available. Would like to see the Mud X return though.

Barzos are reasonable in mud. But they really don’t like wet chalk, flint or roots.

Had hoped Michelin Wild XC would be decent, but the tread height is too low for much mud, compound rock hard and carcass stiff.

Would be interested to try a Dirty Dan. Weight is up by quite a lot since the last one.

mboy
    Free Member

Would be interested to try a Dirty Dan. Weight is up by quite a lot since the last one.

Yes, but the old ones used a Liteskin casing, which was properly thin. Took a lot of perseverance to work properly tubeless too.

I have a brand new unused pair that have been stashed in my spares box if anybody wants to make me an offer… 29×2.0″ Dirty Dan Liteskin tyres, never even been fitted.

Kept them originally as a “just in case” as couldn’t get them any more, but now we’ve reintroduced the 2″ DD into the range, I can always get more if I actually need them…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.