Home Forums Bike Forum The best mini pump I’ve ever had…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The best mini pump I’ve ever had…
  • jackofalltrails
    Free Member

*This is a totally unbiased review

LifeLine Motion Floor Mount Mini Pump
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-motion-floor-mount-mini-pump-1

I bought this mini track pump from Wiggle, the price at time of review was £15.99, as a pump to keep in my hydration pack for mountain biking. I read good reviews on it with the only negatives being the build quality, I have to say I strongly disagree with this as the main body is constructed of aluminium and the rest made out of high quality plastic and rubber.

It is so much easier to inflate mountain bike tyres with this pump than any mini pump that I have tried. I was able to inflate my tyre to 20 psi in 1.5 minutes easily with very little effort. See this video for a real time inflation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PSfNkWHMEI).

As it happens the first ride that I took this pump on I slit my tyre and being tubeless had to install an inner tube and then inflate this, I then ended up puncturing the tube and having to stop to inflate it every mile to get back to the car. I was very pleased to have this pump and it ‘almost’ made the process enjoyable.

I would highly recommend this pump as it is just as light as a mini pump and isn’t actually that big but does come with a bottle cage mount which can also be strapped to the frame if required.

Mini Edit:

dirkpitt74

Nice video!
    Do the rigger boots come with the pump?

jackofalltrails
    Free Member

@dirkpitt74 No they’re an optional add on, they’re great for riding in though, far better than Five Tens…

Northwind

I have a very similar truflo, love it. You know you’ve picked the right kit when the bike guides keep trying to steal it off you 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Indeed, my truflo is that good I’ve changed my tubeless valves to schraeders to stop it unscrewing the buggers 😃 rather than change it!

dc1988

Dare I say it looks like a cheaper and possibly better version of the Lezyne pump I have. Though the Lezyne one is prettier.

Nobeer – can’t you just tighten your valve cores properly? You can even now get valve caps with the tool integrated

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Makes no odds, they still unscrew.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pumps so good that it has a pretty piss poor flaw.

No excuse for that these days.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Got that pump, but unbranded and silver. Had it for 15 years. Its awesome. No issues with valves unscrewing either.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Makes no odds, they still unscrew.

Just not my experience tbh, I think yours might be faulty? Mine’ll extract a loose one but not a properly tightened one

dc1988

Sometimes the issue can be you can only tighten a valve core so much before it starts spinning in the rim. I like a valve with an allen key fitment at the base to help get the core decently tight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

like a valve with an allen key fitment at the base to help get the core decently tight.

Where does the sealant go in? Or do you dismount every time you want to refresh ?

jackofalltrails
    Free Member

@trail_rat the muc off ones are like that, they still have removable valve cores but where the hole is on the side of the valve inside the tyre it has an Allen key head:

https://images.app.goo.gl/LaV8rv3osm58hhhe6

dc1988

I use Ratbite valves as they also have a nut that you can get off by hand, I’ve had the normal type get stuck before which would be good fun if you needed to put a tube in a long way from home!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just not my experience tbh, I think yours might be faulty? Mine’ll extract a loose one but not a properly tightened one

Aye, the threads are possibly slightly tight or I’ve got grit in there at some point, it seems better on the schraeder side of the head, tbh it’s the excuse I need to go schraeder.

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar pump for years
    It’s a Bontrager,build quality is outstanding but it’s kinda redundant now I use a hip pack
    Would get any tire up in a jiffy at trail side
    Handle and footplate were proper sturdy alloy and not plastic
    Might need to see if I can retrofit it to my Ebike

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The truflo just fits in my evoc fanny bag.

tthew

I’ve got a Topeak Mountain Morph. It’s pretty good, I thought well worth the money until one of my colleagues got his lifeline out of his bag quicker than I got mine. He let me have a go to compare, there’s something about them that works brilliantly. Not sure what, but better than the Topeak for sure.

Northwind

Yeah, I have a Morph as well, it’s alright.

welshfarmer

My Topeak Morph, despite being a good pump, lasted only a short time before the seals inside gave out.

TiRed

Has the Topeak Morph patent expired perchance?

https://patents.justia.com/search?q=bicycle+pump

https://patents.justia.com/patent/5347913 for example

jackofalltrails
    Free Member

I looked at the Topeak mountain morph when researching which one to get, cheapest I could find one was £25 and I have a lot of X tools and lifeline stuff and really like it so I thought I’d try this one and judging by a few comments above and the quality of the product I’m pleased I did!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘The best mini pump I’ve ever had…’ is closed to new replies.