Home Forums Bike Forum Lever operated dropper post? Kind Shock Dropzone?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lever operated dropper post? Kind Shock Dropzone?
  • eotb9090
    Free Member

First dropper post, older bike no cable routing, and don’t want all the cable runs and handlebar lever.

Anything better than the KS Drop Zone? Only tend to drop the saddle 3-4 times on a 20-25 mile ride, reckon a dropper still worth it?

https://www.bike-discount.de/de/kaufen/kind-shock-dropzone-o-30,9-mm-x-385-mm-33273?lang=de

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Serious advice just get the bar mount, had one of those, pulled it out of the spares box when my lev was in for a service and really hated it, taking your hand off the bars at exactly the moment you don’t want to meant it went on ebay very soon after.

eotb9090
    Free Member

Cheers Mike, tend to ride in the peaks where its a long tech climb for a long descent, so normally have to stop and faff about with QR collar. Honestly wouldn’t mind reaching under seat to drop when i’m near the start of the descent.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have the KS dropzone on my hardtail as I mostly ride it round the wyre forest or kinver so similar to you, I know where all the climbs and a descents are so it’s no big deal to reach under the saddle. Its worked faultless since day one and can be self serviced easily, the last service I order a new plastic collar as it had worn and had created a little bit of play but thats the first thing I’ve had to replaced in the years of ownership.

damascus
    Free Member

I have one. I actually prefer it. I’ve had reverb, ks lev and command posts.

I already take my hands off to take lock out off forks and rear shock. I’ve just got used to it.

The reason I went back to a drop zone was I was fed up of dropper posts developing play and needing constant maintenance. The drop zone is cheap, light and seems bombproof.

The other added bonus is when I go back packing I just swop the post, no messing removing a cable. I also like the lack of clutter on the bars.

Having said all that, I am definitely in the minority

eotb9090
    Free Member

Thanks guys, so theres none of that micro play you get on the Rockshox refurb, you can almost move the saddle a few mm each way?

I’ve looked about and just can’t seem to find any bad reviews of the KS, although it doesnt seem many UK shops have it in stock, so wasn’t sure if a newer better model was out.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

There will be “micro-play”, detectable by hand, but undetectable by arse, unless you have a very high-maintenance arse.

I would echo the advice to get a barmount lever. Droppers are about more than uphill followed by downhill. That is the domain of the QR.

TheFlyingOx

Dropzone is ace. I’ve got a bar mount cable operated one and a under-the-saddle lever operated one. As above they have required zero maintenance in the 4 years I’ve had them, apart from needing to re-tension the cable once. The cable-operated one is definitely less of a chew to adjust on the move, and I’d recommend that one out of the two, but even the under-seat one is a hundred times better than stopping and faffing with a QR clamp.

I got the cable one from JensonUSA for less than £130 and the under seat one from bikester for £109. Given the issues I’ve known others have with Reverbs and Joplins etc, combined with the apparent indestructibility of them they’d be worth it at twice the price.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I went for the same post based on the fact I rarely use it & I don’t like clutter, I already had a Rev & a KS with remote but I wanted the layback of this one, been great so far & they are easy to service.

Cheers.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    eotb9090
    Free Member

@monkeysfeet the speed up has no hydro, so you have to actually lift it up while pressing the lever AFAIK

Thanks others for replies will have a look at the cable ones and lever and make a decision, it truly seems theres nothing else out there to beat this post :D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lever operated dropper post? Kind Shock Dropzone?’ is closed to new replies.