Home Forums Bike Forum LeJog, any advice?

• This topic has 61 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 4 hours ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • LeJog, any advice?
  • zerocool

When my wife did it years ago she said Cornwall and Devon almost made her quit but after that it got easier (and less brutally steep), and just had to manage the general wear and tear on her body rather than die on the uphill.

MrSparkle

@ratherbeintobago Er, are you sure that you didn’t know? ?

IMG_4892

ratherbeintobago

@MrSparkle Ah yes, obviously slipped my mind. Knew about the crash, most days don’t remember what I had for breakfast…

Good news that she was able to get out and see the tandem pair though.

MrSparkle

Ha ha! I’m much the same. And, yes, it is.

Rich_s

Don’t do it North to South “because it’s downhill”.

Don’t do it solo.

Don’t do it with a rucksack without checking you can ride with a helmet on, or you’ll end up carrying your helmet for 2 weeks completely pointlessly.

blackhat
    Free Member

I second that comment about the industrial NW…my BiL, route organiser, happened to be working in that area at the time and he has a photographic memory for routes, so he spent a weekend recceying a route that avoided A roads and towns where possible.

tonyg2003

I did RAB 7 years ago in absolutely awful weather. It was a great experience and really stress free with everything organised (like bike transport to and from start). I’ve done loads of cycling trips over the years and it was one of the best

crazy-legs

I did RAB 7 years ago in absolutely awful weather. It was a great experience and really stress free with everything organised (like bike transport to and from start). I’ve done loads of cycling trips over the years and it was one of the best

2017? Yes, that was pretty biblical wasn’t it?! Cav rode a stage of it that – in the pissing rain out of Bath I seem to remember.

onetimeews

Hi

I did this 10 years ago. LEJOG direction, supposedly better for wind assistance!

Honestly, I couldn’t wait to get it over with. I’m delighted that I’ve done it and I still feel that people think that it is an achievement as such, but it is only really other cyclists that will understand what it feels like to get up and do 10 hours on a bike on that 9th/10th day.

My advice would be to give some serious consideration as to what your reasons for doing it are. If it’s a charity or a box-tick thing then your aims and methods are going to be very different to if you want any form of enjoyment from it.

Firstly for most people both Land’s End and John O’Groats are a hell of a long way from home. Factor in a day getting to the start, and back to the finish on top of the cycling days and decide if the total number of days is a worthwhile use of your annual leave.

In either direction the first and the last day are going to be the worst in terms of hills. If you haven’t been before both are an anti climax. Obviously at this point there is only one road out/in.

My advice would be to design a cycling touring type route which just happens to begin and end at Land’s End/John O’Groats and makes the most of the best cycling and the things to see along the route. I grew up in Cheshire so the route we took went past the end of my road, but by the end of the first day I’d ticked off Cornwall and didn’t go back for another 7 years. That seemed to set the tone for the rest of the trip, in that, you end up cycling past dozens of brown signs indicating fascinating things but don’t see anything other than the hedge next to you for most of the trip.

If you decide to ‘fix’ your stopping points along the route, do it for places you want to spend a couple of hours or see something, this will give you more pleasure and something to look forward to during the ride than dividing the total miles by the days and finding the closest accommodation. We stayed in some shitholes. Establishments and towns.

Choose your companions with care. Train. Don’t be the slowest. Have a practice run out a few months before. We did coast to coast in 3 days over the Easter and then the LEJOG at the end of May. Eat constantly, even when you don’t feel like it. Eat every 20 mins even after you’ve gorged yourself on the breakfast buffet. Eat something of a decent quality for lunch. Something that isn’t a carvery. Drink beer in the evening. 3/4 pints is the sweet spot between free calories and dehydration. Take ibuprofen with every meal and paracetamol every 4 hours whether you think you need it or not. Wear a mountain bike liner short under your padded bib shorts. Have a garmin, if only to count down the miles each day. Take photos even when you think you can’t be bothered

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the actual route you take with regard to the traffic. It’ll be a nightmare most of the way whichever way you go. In Cornwall and Devon you may as well stick to the dual carriageways, there is better visibility and the minor roads are steeper. Shap fell is a bitch. For me once you get over the Clyde it gets much better. Alongside Loch Lomond for a while it’s almost enjoyable. The road through Glen Coe is at least pretty. Once you get to Wick John O’Groats never seems to arrive.

Practically you can save a bit of time by staying in Penzance and doing the first bit as an out and back on day-1, and the neareast station at the other end is Georgemas rather than Wick or Thurso. If you don’t have a support crew sleeper trains are probably the way to cut out a lot of the travel hassle.

Otherwise it is surprisingly easy. It’s mainly a trudge rather than an adventure and the riding is not especially spectacular. But you should end up with a few stories.

blackhat
    Free Member

http://pinkpinarello.blogspot.com/2015/08/

Our trip in 2015 as recorded by my SiL.  Some family references in there but a good sense of our experience.

velocipede
    Free Member

@onetimeews – that’s a great summary – especially the ibuprofen and paracetamol advice! – my buddy described me as “rattling” by the time we finished the RAB, but at least I didn’t have any aches and pains!

sajama55
    Free Member

Long time ago I was paid off and flew to Bilbao , this change my view of cycling in the UK.  Cycled back to Swindon, thats why i will never do LeJog . Done quite a few Spain and France end to ends. In Europe it’s a different culture and cyclists are treated as human beings.

MoreCashThanDash

Long time ago I was paid off and flew to Bilbao , this change my view of cycling in the UK. Cycled back to Swindon, thats why i will never do LeJog . Done quite a few Spain and France end to ends. In Europe it’s a different culture

I can see attraction of that, to be fair.

A friend has just retired and decided Lejog wasn’t as attractive as she thought. Last year she did France from the Channel to the Med, and she’s just finished Munich to Rome, which looks pretty amazing on her photos.

ratherbeintobago

There seems to be a quite good route (that’s part of Eurovelo1) along the French Atlantic coast

fasthaggis

onetimeews – that’s a great summary – especially the ibuprofen and paracetamol advice!

Where as for me,that is the polar opposite of my experience and sounds horrendous.

It reads like one those people that take up running ,find they hate it,but persist ,while at the same time banging on about how much they loathe it,then question why anybody would ever take up running.

Luckily we are all different.

My top tips would be.

Start early,finish early.

Eliminate as much faffing as possible.

Get comfortable with the distances.

Enjoy.

Don’t spend too much time on cafe stops.

Have your accomodation and food on the stops sorted out.

Make sure the bike and all your kit is prepped each night.

Enjoy

natrix
    Free Member

Cycling Uk forum linky https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=4562de98c831d2f62733e1c360a3b30a

I wanted to do something a bit diifferent so did the opposite diagonal, Dover to Durness (OK the pedants will say Cape Wrath is the top left, but that involves a ferry that only operates in good weather) which was good fun. It didn’t have the hilly start that you have with LeJoG.  We booked up travel lodges, premier inns etc well in adavnce so the rates were fairly reasonable.  Midges were a bit of an issue in Scotland, so take some repellant if you’re going in the midge season.

Are you doing it as a challenge or as enjoyment?  One of our group was a German colleague who abandoned (we had a support car) on the last day with only about 40 miles to go. I tried to persuade him to finish, but with teutonic logic he said that he was doing the ride for enjoyment and as it was raining he was no longer enjoying it…………….

Top tip – wash your shorts in the shower at the end of the day. Lay the wet shorts on a hotel towel, roll up the towel and shorts (a bit like a swiss roll) and wring it, this will get the shorts fairly dry, they’ll finish drying overnight on the radiator, ready for the morning.

scotroutes

Where as for me,that is the polar opposite of my experience and sounds horrendous

Yeah, me too. And judging from chatting to a lot of LEJOGers when I collected them in JoG, most seemed to really enjoy the experience, whether they’d taken 4 days or 14, camped or hotelled, ridden solo or as a group.

boblo
    Free Member

For those advocating French or Spanish end to ends or EV1, I’ve done EV1, Route Via de la Plata and a French Manche to Med. I found, these are not mutually exclusive with doing a LeJog… Riding on the Continent is fantastic. My chums and I did the Route des Grande Alpes a few weeks ago and it was both tough and brilliant. So much so, I’d happily do it again and it’s got me thinking of the 100 Cols… Different from the other routes mentioned but not betterer or worser.

LeJog is a particularly Brit cyclist thing to do and is bit of a milestone in any keen Brit cyclists career. Yes there’s other stuff out there but they’re not LeJog.

kcr
    Free Member

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the actual route you take with regard to the traffic. It’ll be a nightmare most of the way whichever way you go.

This just isn’t true. As many previous posters have pointed out, taking the fastest, most direct route won’t be a very enjoyable cycling experience, but if you have the time to take a slightly more roundabout path, you can do some really nice cycling between Lands End and John o’ Groats. Loch Lomond and Glencoe is one of the worst options for cycling north; great scenery, but the motor traffic on those roads will overshadow any enjoyment from the cycling. I’d even suggest that the coast road up through Wick is not the best way to get to the north coast. There are also some lovely roads up along the Welsh/English border.

The problem with LeJog will always be that you are constraining the start and end of your route with a couple of arbitrary geographical points, and for many people that will means some compromises for the cycling. I have never ridden LeJog as one event, but I have ridden all the way between the south coast and the north coast in various forms over the years, and there are a number of nice ways of doing that which avoid busy roads and major conurbations.

Drink beer in the evening. 3/4 pints is the sweet spot between free calories and dehydration. Take ibuprofen with every meal and paracetamol every 4 hours whether you think you need it or not.

No

zerocool

My wife did the RAZ, she said the access to decent sleeping and food was great.  Also the daily access to physios and masseuses was great as well.  She worked for Deloitte at the time who were the title sponsor so only had to raise money rather than pay the full cost.
    She said that doing it in a big organised way like this was much nicer than any so,owing missions she’d done in the past as everyone was friendly and like minded.

Said she’d not ride LEJOG again though!

scotroutes

Our (organised/sponsored) ride broke each day into 5 chunks of around 20km. We’d set off after breakfast (slower riders first), ride 20km to some layby or car park, snack, another 20km, snack, another 20km got us to lunch – usually a pub/cafe but one day it was a Buddhist monastery. After lunch, the slower riders would set off first again, another 20km for a snack stop and another 20km got us to.our overnight stop. None of it felt particularly pushed or pacy and it would often be different folk you’d be riding with as everyone went through their highs and lows.

The route was signposted for us, removing one potential delay reason.

iainc

^^^^ what about the other 38 miles though ? …

We were a mixed-ability group and completed it in 10 days at around 100 miles per day.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.