Home Forums Bike Forum Komoot – how does it work (especially ‘buying regions’)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Komoot – how does it work (especially ‘buying regions’)
  • 13thfloormonk

I’ve been a happy Strava (premium) user for ages now and still think the route planner is the single greatest resource for planning routes once you figure out how to make the most of the heatmap feature (tip: switching to running or hiking unveils a wealth of hidden singletrack!) and use ‘manual’ mode.

But Strava doesn’t cater to the rampant but lazy narcissist in me who wants a better way to share routes with pictures etc. I especially like the look of the Komoot ‘collections’ as I’ve got various different types of ride that I’d like to bundle up depending on when I plan to ride them or a recurring theme etc.

Most likely I’ll cheat by exporting a gpx from Strava route planner then uploading to Komoot as an activity, this allows me to tweak the route to omit wrong turns or crappy bits, but still add photos (I don’t think it allows you to add photos to ‘planned’ tours, only ‘completed’, hence the workaround).

However I saw a couple of references to ‘buying regions’. Why would I need to do this? Is it only if you want to follow a route on your phone that you need to buy a region? Or if I want to plan a route or add a route to a collection, do I need the associated regions? I don’t mind paying the annual subscription price but I don’t want to have to keep paying for bolt-ons etc.

Ta

sam_underhill

I bought the whole world maps as a one off on a special offer (I think they regularly offer this).

I’ve now followed routes all over Europe on my phone.

I think the sub is for multi day planning and sharing.

Steve_B

When you sign up to Komoot you get an option to Buy the World for £20 one time payment. Usually its about £40 but they will do offers. That allows you to download any area and navigate offline. But not plan offline. You only need a regular subscription for particular tasks as I understand it. Eg weather multiday planning. Edit too slow !

scotroutes

I bought the whole world maps as a one off on a special offer (I think they regularly offer this).

Me too. £20 as a one-off payment.

I’m currently trialling the Pro version, which requires an additional subscription. It adds a little (e.g. helps with multi day plans) but I’m not sure I’ll keep it.

13thfloormonk

Ok thanks, doesn’t sound like I need the regions then although could possibly be useful as a backup navigation tool…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.