Home Forums Chat Forum Knee Cartilage Popped Out – Help

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Knee Cartilage Popped Out – Help
  • samperry25
    Free Member

I’ve had several issues with my right knee from rugby related injuries for several years which is why I got into cycling on recommendation of the last doctor who prodded around inside my knee.

Anyway yesterday the cartilage popped out of the joint (I self diagnosed as it’s happened a lot of times before) A&E couldn’t help and I’m left hobbling around on crutches until a doctor can see me.

Does anyone have any home remedies or tricks to get the thing back in place? It’s essentially locked and I can’t straighten it out fully.

fossy

Cable ties, WD40 and gaffa tape, surely ?

samperry25
    Free Member

I did deploy some GT-85 but so far it has failed to lubricate it back into place

handybar
    Free Member

Torn meniscus?
    Ice and rest. You may need an operation if it keeps happening.

samperry25
    Free Member

Yeah it’s looking like that, this will be the third arthroscopy I’ve had if I need another. Could do with it being manipulated back into place ASAP though.

fossy

A good physio for the sensible answer. You will have to pay.

handybar
    Free Member

Or a private knee consultant – £200 a pop – excuse the pun. Some can see at short notice and without a drs referral.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes! Mine is utter agony when it pops out, but I have a ‘miracle cure’ that gets me back to normal in seconds…
    I tuck my foot under my bum and lean forward (maybe push down gently on the bad knee) …can feel the miniscus go back into position and it’s like have a normal knee again.
    Worth a try!

DezB
    Free Member

I’d like to know how physio can cure a torn miniscus! Operation or live with it are your 2 options.

samperry25
    Free Member

Well hopefully the physio could manipulate the miniscus back into place. I can’t live with it if o can’t walk on the affected leg. Thanks for that cure though I’ll give it a try. I used to stretch it out using the other foot as support but that hasn’t worked so far.

Seeing a consultant tomorrow so will probably have to go under the knife again.

DezB
    Free Member

Mine’s bad when it goes, found the cure by accident once, but so glad I did, as the op isn’t guaranteed to sort it.
    Actually was in the bupa hospital all gowned up, ready for the op and the consultant sent me home as it was ok at the time and I had a snowboard holiday booked for 6 weeks later.
    Good luck, I feel your pain!

samperry25
    Free Member

Just tried the foot under the bum but I am not flexible at all and it’s been out for a good 24 hours and the knees quite swollen, will ice and try again.

That’s the problem, as soon as it’s back in I can go back to normal but now I’ve got to sign off on the sick for a week as I can’t walk.

big_scot_nanny

I can’t offer any advice, but as a fella that has a right patella with a habit of dislocating, I feel your pain and read this thread with tears in my eyes. Ouch!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mine used to pop out a lot when I played a bit of rec ice hockey, I could pop it back ok then.
    Fast forward 30 years. It popped again (after a fast 4 mile walk) in April 2018 & was in abject agony for months. Had an arthur roscopy in April this year & is now loads better.
    Once It’s torn it aint gonna untear.

handybar
    Free Member

@big scot nanny, have you had any surgery regarding your dislocating patella? or do you do physio to strengthen the muscles? are you getting any anterior knee pain just from walking around. Only asking as I have the same problem.

ton

dove1

I feel your pain, samperry25.
    I have had arthroscopies on both knees to remove damaged cartilage*. Last Friday evening my right knee started hurting and by Saturday morning I couldn’t bend it. It feels like my knee cap is being pushed out from behind with a hot poker. Have been hobbling around ever since and working from home as I can’t drive. I suspect a piece of cartilage has come loose and lodged in the joint.
    Off to see an orthopaedic surgeon this afternoon (BUPA through work).

*I blame Biopace chain rings.

Caher

Wish I still had cartilage, bone on bone now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Knee Cartilage Popped Out – Help’ is closed to new replies.