Home Forums Chat Forum Kefir

• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Kefir
  • myti
    Free Member

So it appears living in Brighton for too long is turning me into a yogurt knitting hippy. I’ve really got into making fermented foods such as sourdough and kimchi and recently started making kefir. Does anyone else make or buy this and have you noticed any health benefits?

MSP

I just started buying some a few weeks ago, it is an acquired taste now. The homemade is meant to be much better than the commercial, so I have ordered some kefir grains to start making my own.

The only thing i have really noticed is that it seems to digest quite slowly, so for me trying to lose weight drinking it in the morning keeps me quite full. with all these things healthy diet and lifestyle changes take time and are not instantly or ever noticeable, they are far too gradual to perceive, and anyone claiming to be instantly feel great is bullshitting (unless they are injecting peds).

However i am mainly convinced that kefir is beneficial so am going to keep taking it, especially for someone who has spent years on a high carb sugary diet and drunk too much to be healthy my gut fauna could probably do with some help. and making my own it is as cheap as milk.

I also fancy starting to make kombucha.

myti
    Free Member

It’s really easy to make. I’m making a batch once a week and keeping the grains just covered in milk in the fridge when I’m not making it. Not expecting any massive changes as I’m pretty healthy anyway but can’t hurt to have a diverse gut bacteria. My mum has ibs though so would be interesting to see if it helps her.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Susan? Is that you?

myti
    Free Member

Oops rumbled trying to do some market research to impress that stuck up bitch Helen.

slackalice
    Free Member

Yes, goat kefir for me as cow dairy produce turns me into a reptile with psoriasis 😃

I feel better for it, as does my gut. Mrs Slack also has some cow kefir cultivating in the fridge.

Gotta be careful espousing benefits of these ‘alternative’ concoctions on here though, cos unless endorsed by GSK, western med and Big Pharma generally, it’s all woo woo apparently 😉

wallop

It’s really easy to make. If you’re getting new grains it’s worth bearing in mind that they might take a few days to get into the swing of things so don’t be disheartened if your first couple of batches aren’t quite right.

I really like it but can never get in with it unfortunately – it bloats me, which is a bit ironic and not very logical….

fatmax

I make an oat and fruit smoothie every morning with it. Using the grains plus milk. First batch takes 2-3 days then make a new batch every 24hrs. Gut health will be a long term thing so I didn’t feel any immediate benefits, but it does keep me full until lunchtime and apparently I fart less! I’m going to keep taking it. Mate who put me onto it is the fittest guy I know and there seems to be a general consensus that it’s a ‘good thing’ with no dis-benefits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice tabard.

slackalice
    Free Member

Tabard or tank top? Or perhaps an ornately knitted tank top?

Your point caller?

cinnamon_girl

Gotta be careful espousing benefits of these ‘alternative’ concoctions on here though, cos unless endorsed by GSK, western med and Big Pharma generally, it’s all woo woo apparently

Ain’t that the truth!

RustySpanner

Damn Flashy, beaten to it………

MSP

Gotta be careful espousing benefits of these ‘alternative’ concoctions on here though, cos unless endorsed by GSK, western med and Big Pharma generally, it’s all woo woo apparently

Ain’t that the truth!

No, it is complete bollocks, this site is quite accepting of diet and lifestyle, unless they have proven to be false or exaggerated and spectacular claims are being made.

eulach

OP – do you have a sheep’s stomach hung up outside your back door? Or how does one make kefir in 2018?

RustySpanner

Some of us are more knowledge about the stuff than we ever wished or expected to be.

The woman on the right is a known criminal and should not be approached under any circumstances.

cinnamon_girl

I read of a kefir-making bloke compare the kefir faffage with keeping a pet, that put me right off I can tell you!

RustySpanner

It’s basically middle class home brew. 🙂

I’m off to join CAMFREK.

hugo
    Free Member

I make yoghurt because it’s expensive to buy  grass fed dairy products in the ME, but good quality milk it’s easy to get.

A couple tips from me would be to use UHT milk in a carton as it avoids messing with about with the sterilisation bit. UHT is fantastic these days and it takes the pain out it, just pour and go  Also, IKEA do great 1l bottles with those reusable rubber stopper clip things that are great for kefir.

Kefir is similar to something called laban out here. There are so many different strains that I’d order a few and try them. In addition, don’t be afraid to culture your own from something you think tastes good. For my yoghurt I don’t use a fancy strain but simply reproduce a good supermarket Greek yogurt I like. Often overlooked!

sweepy
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you would share a kimchi recipe, particularly easy to find alternatives to the hard to find ingredients like the special chilli powder and radish?

DrJ

Buy it from our local Polish shop – my tummy likes it. Never considered making it – seems like a faff – what’s the point?

MSP

Never considered making it – seems like a faff – what’s the point?

You should get much more of the good stuff, compared to that commercially made, where they do a sped up fermentation and then kill off the yeast so it doesn’t continue fermenting in the bottle. It doesn’t seem that much of a faff – add kefir grains to milk, leave 24 hours, strain into jar to separate grains, make another batch or store grains in fridge.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On a similar note, can anyone recommend a cheese making course?

DrJ

It doesn’t seem that much of a faff

No – you’re right – may give it a shot :-)

hugo
    Free Member

It can be a faff if you start messing about boiling and cooling milk, but it’s easily avoided if you use good UHT as it’s already sterilised.

Just mix in a teaspoon of the stuff from the previous batch and let it sit at the right temperature for the right length time for whatever you’re making.

I make Greek yoghurt so it’s 8 hours at 42 degrees in a yoghurt maker. Takes me less than a minute to get going – I even cheat,  instead of doing all that straining rubbish to get a thicker yoghurt I just add a couple of tablespoons of quality milk powder to up the milk solid levels that way.

myti
    Free Member

Hugo we’re talking about making kefir not yogurt. There’s no faff it’s literally dunk the grain in a jar of milk leave at room temperature for 24 hours ish and then strain them out again.

Re kimchi you don’t have to use the correct veg. Just whatever cabbage you have, fish sauce, garlic, salt and Korean red pepper flakes. Order online or get from an Asian supermarket.

Cougar

UHT milk?

*boak*

hugo
    Free Member

Hugo we’re talking about making kefir not yogurt

I’m aware of that, hence…

let it sit at the right temperature for the right length time for whatever you’re making..

It’s all culturing milk in one way or another so most of the skills transfer widely.

UHT milk?

*boak*

A few years I’d have totally agreed but technology has moved on and it’s now indistinguishable. I spent the summer months in various parts of France and what was noticeable was that they generally bought UHT as a first choice – and they’re possibly the fussiest and knowledgeable food customers going – but that’s probably why they’ve  kept up with new food technology!

Also file under this section : frozen butter. Works perfectly (unlike milk or cheese) and delivers a fresher product, but seen as inferior.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Kefir’ is closed to new replies.