Home Forums Bike Forum Karate Monkey sizing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Karate Monkey sizing?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

6 feet tall, average proportions, 18 or 20 inch frame?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d say either would probably be OK with the right seatpost and stem. I’m 6’1 with a 32″ inside leg and have the 20″ – really comfy and handles well but it feels pretty roomy. Perhaps the smaller size if you’re more of an aggressive rider. Larger one if you’re more into longer XC rides and mixed road / trail.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks what length stem are you using?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’m running a 100mm stem, which I’m comfortable with, but would probably go with something shorter for more aggressive riding.

One thing you do need to consider with Surly bikes is the lack of standover, particularly with the older models (newer ones have a dropped top tube) – the geometry is pretty traditional but it does really work.

singlespeedstu

I’m 6′ with a 32″ inside leg and used to ride a medium Monkey with a 90mm stem.
    Fit me spot on.

Clink

Don’t forget the newer ones have slightly more standover if that matters – but I think other measurements are the same?

charliedontsurf

Go 20″ for sure.

ruffrider

I’m 6ft with a 32″ inside leg and riding the 18″ older frame with a 90mm stem. It fits like a glove, a lovely bike. Bought the frame and wheels of here from singlespeedstu who posted earlier on this thread I believe so a belated hello and thanks to him if he is the same gentleman. I also bought your Evil Sovereign frame James which unfortunately I was not able to build up and had to sell on so hello to you too James.

singlespeedstu

Waves to ruffrider.

Glad you like the Monkey. Any pictures of it?

ruffrider

Hey Stu, I have a pretty rubbish one which I’ll try and post later – keep meaning to take a camera riding and post some pics thus avoiding the inevitable sofa/skirting board comments… cheers

andyh2
    Free Member

6′, 34″ inside leg. Very happy on my 18″ KM (old style frame). Running a 110mm stem as need a bit of extra for the H bars.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Further to earlier post – pic shows amount of seatpost I’m using on the 20″, old style version (6’1″, 32″ inside leg)

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hi Ruffrider

Thanks all – think I will go with a 20″ as would prefer to run a fairly short stem

Standover looks OK in the new version

ruffrider

There you go a not great wrong way round picture of my monkey the only difference is I’m now using a bolt up hub on the rear and a constrictor for the seat post. Apologies to Stu for the gears :D

[/url] Karate Monkey at Black Cap[/url] by david.hunt36[/url], on Flickr[/img]

singlespeedstu

Woohoo Brown Monkey lives on. :D

Even if it does have a geardangler. :roll: :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Karate Monkey sizing?’ is closed to new replies.