Home Forums Bike Forum Jones bars alternatives

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Jones bars alternatives
  • psycorp
    Free Member

I wanted to try some high sweep bars on my new build so I bought some Mary bars from On One as they were on sale. A quick test ride and I can already tell they are too narrow so what other alternatives are there currently available?

Frankly I’d buy some Jones cut H bars, as at 710mm they sound about right, but the price is putting me off.

john_l
    Free Member

Titec H/J bars have v similar sweep & are 660mm I think.

The Mary’s are the same sweep, but a bit narrower, as you say.

nedrapier

Answer 20/20 (bit less sweep?) at 720mm wide £92 on crc
    on-one OG – cheep, 685mm wide.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I tried some Mary bars and found them too narrow for the amount of sweep also.
    I found that flipping them upside down so they have a drop at the ends made them more comfortable as it pushed my elbows out rather than tucking them in.
    It also gave the bike a nice ‘board racer’ look to it.

(Kona PhD 2007 so used on the road rather than off)

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve run Jones bars for a few years. They’re worth the premium (if you get on with them), if not, you’ll recoup most your $$$. Why not save some cash and try the bend bars, rather than the loops?

FWIW, I initially used mine on my Scandal, and liked them. I then bought a Jones frameset. They make much more sense coupled to the Jones geometry IMO.

rOcKeTdOg

Ragley carnegie’s if you can find them, few mm wider than Mary’s

darbeze
    Free Member

Genesis alt bars are £25 from any Madison/Genesis affiliated dealer. They are the bars that came on the 2015 Longitude and Caribou.

They are 710/720mm-ish wide and have a 20 degree sweep.

I have a pair on my Fortitude and think they are great. Like you, I didn’t want to splash out on Jones loops only to find I didn’t like them.

singletracksurfer

This is quite interesting (if you’re interested in it) … http://oldglorymtb.com/round-up-alternative-or-alt-mountain-bike-handlebars/

Got some Jones and really like them, but could do with some the same but cheaper to fit on all my other bikes now.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I ran some Marys on my old SS and liked them so bought some more when I built a new bike but for whatever reason, didn’t like them. I guess it was the years inbetween of gradually going up to 780mm bars on my bouncey bike.

Changed them for some carbon OGs and really like them. Feel a touch wider (I thought they were 710mm the OGs?) and nice shape.

BillOddie

Jones Bend Bars are a more budget friendly alternative to the loops. £90 or so.

tazzymtb

Got some carver my-ti titanium bars kicking about in spares for sale 710 wide 29 degree sweeo (like a big ti mary bar) 70quid ish?

Answer 20 20 are good, salsa 2 bend are good…jones are bloomin great though. .not so keen on with suspension forks but rigid they rock

nedrapier

Davey – same width as 685mm Easton XC70. Link with unhelpful “helpful pictures” which seem to provide evidence to the contrary – wide angle lens and perspective.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-carbon-og-handlebars-reduced-to-2999/page/2

john_l
    Free Member

Thing is, there’s a big difference between 45 degrees & 20 degrees…..

miranmtb
    Free Member

Jones Bend Bars are a more budget friendly alternative to the loops. £90 or so.

and lighter too …

bedmaker

I’ve tried Mary’s, Salsa Bend 2, Titec J bars, Pro moto 17 sweep, OO OG carbon.

I keep coming back to the Jones and in the new 710 carbon I think I’ve settled on my bar for life. Well worth the investment imo.

psycorp
    Free Member

Cheers all. Some good suggestions.

yunki
    Free Member

Ragley Carnegie’s for me.. If only I could pick up the version in raw kevlar wrap, although I find the alloy version comfy enough on the road

Denis99
    Free Member

I have sent you an email.

I have recently bought a Jones Spaceframe as a rolling chassis, came with the Jones bend bars.

Probably fit the full loop bars soon, so I will have the bend bars for sale if you are interested to try without too much cost outlay.

poolman
    Free Member

I bought my loops in euroland – holland shipped – I think they were c 100 maybe 120 gbp

Love them well worth the money

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Jones bars alternatives’ is closed to new replies.