Viewing 40 posts - 20,081 through 20,120 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • tjagain

OOB – so yuo are against a second ref – that means a no deal brexit. The only way to stop a no deal long term is a second ref. There is no other route with legitimacy

kerley
    Free Member

He can’t lead. That’s his major issue. Hence the constant radio silence. He doesn’t even understand the qualities required for leadership, let alone possess them.

I agree, however my point is someone who could lead and have shown leadership may have put the Labour party in a better position.
    If I was the leader I would be using the propaganda/buzzword approach that can be seen to work for the Tories. Don’t need to worry about the substance as 95% of voters won’t be looking that far.
    I would have to ignore the wishes and democratic element of the party though and that just gets in teh way as tehy is no majority view on anything.

outofbreath
    Free Member

OOB – so yuo are against a second ref – that means a no deal brexit. The only way to stop a no deal long term is a second ref. There is no other route with legitimacy

A recently elected government is about as legitimate as you can get. In contrast referendums have no legitimacy and literally compel nobody to do anything. They’re advisory, the people campaigning on each side have no responsibility for carrying out the result.

If the last three years of chaos haven’t put you off referendums I don’t know what would have.

tjagain

The “constant radio silence is a result of a lack of reporting not a lack of saying stuff.

Big speech today – how long will it get on the TV news? I bet its less than a minute and I bet its mostly ignored in tomorrows papers apart from baseless attacks by some based around outright lies

OOB – its a binary choice – its either a second referendum or leave probably no deal. NO incoming government could unilaterally revoke – if you think a second ref would cause more trouble imagine how much revoking by a government elected on a minority of votes!

tjagain

Corbyn says the first task of a Labour government would be to get Brexit sorted.

The first task of a Labour government will be to finally get Brexit sorted.

After three years of Tory failure, it’s time to take the decision out of the hands of politicians and let the people have the final say.

So a Labour government will immediately legislate for a referendum.

And he sums up the Brexit position confirmed at Labour’s conference.

Within six months of being elected we will put that deal to a public vote alongside remain.

And as prime minister I will carry out whatever the people decide.

There’s nothing complicated about that position. It’s really very simple: Labour trusts the people to decide.

kelvin

Ignoring the delivery, it’s a speech I’m fully behind. If it was delivered by someone else it might cut through and win over some voters. The “you will get to decide in a referendum” approach, followed by key pledges on education, transport etc, isn’t bad in and of itself. It’s not offering the country leadership though, is it? I like it, but then I’m a soft lefty who likes the idea of a PM deferring to members and voters… when it’s genuine. Do many other outsiders still think he’s genuine about such things? I’m 50:50 on that myself.

In short: an uninspiring delivery from someone who isn’t trusted by voters. And that’s coming from someone who wants a referendum, abolition of student fees, publicly owned transport… and just about everything he proposed in that speech.

outofbreath
    Free Member

NO incoming government could unilaterally revoke

They can. They can nuke Luxenbourg if they want, that’s how representative democracy works.

There would be a *massive* HoC majority for it with SNP support plus dozens defying the whip on the opposition benches whoever that opposition is.

dazh

In short: an uninspiring delivery

if you want oration skills then maybe Brian Blessed or Ian McKellen would be better bets? personally I’m more interested in what they will do and the affect it has on all our lives than putting on a good show for the tv cameras.

Del

You’ve said much the same before, but as it’s been pointed out before, you can have the finest, most egalitarian policies going, but if you can’t communicate those policies effectively you’ll never achieve power.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A recently elected government is about as legitimate as you can get.

no it isn’t – an election will be completely tainted by other issues like people always having voted for a particular party and not being able to vote for anyone else.

And other people won’t want to vote on a single issue like this, as it will bring along a whole load of other policies they might not want – but the politicians will think that they have a mandate for.

the brexit issue needs to be dealt with by a seperate referendum before any GE.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Brian Blessed

he’d probably get a lot of votes…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

the brexit issue needs to be dealt with by a seperate referendum before any GE.

There is only one political party backing a second referendum in any form.

kelvin

There is only one political party backing a second referendum in any form.

Well, that’s just a lie.

tjagain

Which parties are supporting a second ref? Not the lib dems or tories. Honestly I am not sure the green england position nor SNP. Green scotland do not stand for westminster.

tjagain

Can I suggest we take the general discussion to the brxit thread? Leave this to discussion of Corbyn?

kelvin

Which parties are supporting a second ref?

SNP, PC, Greens, LibDems, and now Labour. Who have I missed?

tjagain

Lib dems do not support a second ref.

sargey

A question for the jezza fans, if you were forming a government what position would corbyn hold in your cabinet.

scotroutes

Chief Whip

rone

Second para.

But how do they support it without supporting a Labour government?

Unless I’ve missed something.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Chief Whip

nah, Agriculture.

Sorry, I meant Horticulture.

binners

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster

Del

But how do they support it without supporting a Labour government?

Probably would if they had to. Sooner or later pragmatism will kick in. They’ve ruled out coalition with Labour iirc, and ( also iirc ) Labour have reciprocated, but let’s face it, anything could be on the table if it came to it, and these are the things you say before a general election.
    Supply and confidence perhaps?…

tjagain

I do not watch the TV news anymore – but anyone who does how much airtime did Corbyn get for his speech?

rone

Not picked upon it at all.

There you go.

tjagain

Really? thats disgraceful.

AD

There you go:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49998384
    Most inspirational.

salad_dodger

The speech was covered live (or played shortly after) on LBC yesterday. No doubt after such an important speech JC will be making himself available for interview to all the main broadcasters today.

kelvin

Yeah, I heard it on the radio. It would probably be better for people to read it than experience it on TV or Radio, if you want to get them to consider the content. Anyone got a link the full text of the speech to post here?

tjagain

So my point proven. Big set piece speech ignored by TV news

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So my point proven. Big set piece speech ignored by TV news

It was broadcast live on BBC2 Newsroom (I think that’s the mid-morning news thing on the beeb isn’t it? I watched it. Utterly riveting.

Here’s the copy. Not going to copy and paste as would just be a wall of text.

Full text of Jeremy Corbyn’s speech in Northampton

EDIT: Edited to take account of Mr. Political Geek’s last post. :o)

Del

It’s a media-wide conspiracy, his publicity team are incompetent/don’t care, or he didn’t have anything new to say considered worth reporting.
    They do say it’s usually the simplest answer, so conspiracy it must be.

tjagain

Why not a mention on the main TV news?

binners

It was on Channel 4 news.

There he was, in all his glory. Like a local councillor at a town hall meeting reading out the proposals for some new traffic calming measures on the B375

Stirring stuff.

Maybe it didn’t get full coverage as most TV channels don’t want their audience going all sleepy bo-bo’s and missing their latest drama that follows the news?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why not a mention on the main TV news?

I don’t know. It’s was shown live on TV. I don’t watch either ten o-clock news shows, so can only take others’ word for it not getting a mention on there. Channel4 did a thing on that stand-up guy, Chris Williamson and Labour’s reaction to Johnson being given the low-down by Leo but most of their show was devoted to Turkey’s invasion of operations in Syria. But I can only assume it’s a massive conspiracy against him by the MSM.

I wonder how many times he said “people” in this speech…

nickc

Because they have either; 1. a limited amount of time to cover Varadkar/Johnson, Climate change protest, Trumps on-going public mental collapse, the resumption of war in the middle east and the possible release of many hundreds of ISIS fighters, the typhoon in Japan and how it effects a couple of major sporting events…Or 2, a massive conspiracy to deny airtime to a politician.

I know which one I’m going with

dazh

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy against Corbyn, I just think the leader of the opposition gets less airtime than the PM and that’s always been the way it is. That being the case it makes a mockery of Binners et al criticisms of him because he’s not on the news 24/7. Weird isn’t it that his greatest critics seem to want to see him all the time? I’m sure there’s a psychology study or two that could be had out of it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s a psychology study or two that could be had out of it.

Grow up.

kelvin

Weird isn’t it that his greatest critics seem to want to see him all the time?

Some of us want a Labour government. Like it or not, we need someone who can inspire beyond the true believers, someone who at least comes across as wanting to do the job. Someone prepared to be questioned on a regular basis, so that their answers can be heard, and any misconceptions about what a Labour government would be like can be dispelled. Corbyn is not up to the job. An invisible leader of the opposition is of no use to me or my family. Blame the game if you want, or wake up and realise that we need someone who can play it.

Viewing 40 posts - 20,081 through 20,120 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.