• This topic has 374 replies, 126 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flow.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 375 total)
  • Jeremy Clarkson on the One Show
  • BoardinBob

There are people in our country who have seen a *parent shot and killed in front of them.

Clarkson is an intelligent man, he knows this.

Not funny. Absolutely, not funny.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Finucane_(solicitor)

And today’s over-reaction award goes to…

binners

So following that logic – from now on nobody is allowed to comment on things that someone, somewhere may possibly, potentially, have witnessed?

Yeah… sounds great that

Kryton57

Personally I can’t beleive people watch the One Show

I only watch it as I’m still making my mind up as to whether I would/wouldn’t with Alex Jones. My opinion changes daily.

alex222
    Free Member

she is at least a litle above standard and on tv. what is to question. so much high fiving rights after that.

10pmix
    Free Member

He’s paid to say stupid and controversial things. That is his job. He was invited on to The One Show to do exactly that and he was goaded into saying something controversial by the presenters (in an incredibly obvious way). People then complain. The media get angry. MPs get a few words in the press. Then they forget until he does it again.

I couldn’t care less for him or his comments. They are meaningless to the extreme. In fact I have just realised I am offering an opinion so stopping right there.

derekrides
    Free Member

binners – Member
    God knows how many times I’ve posted this link, but some people really need to read this an inwardly digest:

The offended people

Then have a cup of tea, and calm down dear

Quality, thanks for that binners – sanity

Love this bit
    “I hate offended people. They come in two flavours – huffy and whiny – and it’s hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up. Combined, they’re the very worst people on the planet – 20 times worse than child molesters”

Kryton57

alex222 – Member
    she is at least a litle above standard and on tv. what is to question. so much high fiving rights after that.

Is the name a cooincidence or….? If its really you are you free next Monday night? My treat like…

😀

derekrides
    Free Member

Wow any of you getting an ad for recording top gear on the right, they’re quick these ad bots..

batfink
    Free Member

Wonder how many people on here actually saw The One Show, and how many people are just offended on behalf of those people that did…?

Smacks of Ross/Brand/Manuel-gate

mattjg
    Free Member

And today’s over-reaction award goes to…

Well your reactions are quicker than mine because I deleted it within a few seconds of posting it, after considering the typical quality of non-bike threads here for a few moments. I was right.

I find Clarkson’s comments crass to the extreme.

binners

Oooooooooooooooooooo get her?

As has been pointed out repeatedly, nobody has a right not to be offended. Except possibly if you’re Muslim and in possession of high explosives. You’re not, are you? If you are, I’m really sorry about the cartoons. It wasn’t me

miketually
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo[/video]

Should we be offended by all people suggesting other people are killed?

loum
    Free Member

How can people be offended at someone saying “Clarkson should be sacked”.
    Its not like anyone’s suggested he should be shot.
    Lighten up.

Liftman

Breaking news on bbc, Clarkson has apologised, we can all relax now and go back to our normal lives :mrgreen:

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

As well as being bored, I’m presuming the unions must be awash with cash.

Having seen plenty of photos of yesterday’s strikes, many people all armed with expensive looking Unison branded signs, Unison branded beany hats and Unison branded tabards, it did make me wonder just how badly off these people, or the Union representing them, really are!

Personally, if I was a public sector worker, I’d save my Union membership fee, put it towards my pension, and quit complaining! Just a thought like… 😉

And as for Clarkson, what do you expect? He’s not done anything differently for about the last 2 decades, if you haven’t had ample warning as to his behaviour from experiences past, just how much more warning do you need? He provides minor low key humour for the ignorant masses. He is a very clever and insightful bloke, he just knows the best way for him to remain in the public eye (hence make more money) is to be controversial and offensive to the militant lefties. He’s totally harmless, but not only that I’m glad he said what he did and can get away with it, because last time I checked, this was still a free country. This is not Stalinist Russia, Nazi Germany or North Korea, freedom of speech is one of the very greatest virtues this country possesses. If we are advocating the punishment of someone like Clarkson for saying (a clearly rehearsed and jokingly delivered) statement on his thoughts (designed to provoke a reaction), then we really have a problem!

Clarkson, as has been pointed out before, is like a forum troll. Feed him and it makes him stronger! Ignore him and he will just slope off quietly…

hh45
    Free Member

I hate his comments on cyclists but when I heard this quoted on the news it made me laugh out loud as it was so completely over the top. Its so wrong where do you start? Shoot Clarkson I guess.

That said he does tend to articulate what alot of people think. Publicity just encourages some people to be awful and hateful.

DezB
    Free Member

Should we be offended by all people suggesting other people are killed

No, because that Is a comedian.

allthepies
    Free Member

These ‘ere union bigwigs are very quick in calling for people to be sacked.

Perhaps Jezza should consult his union rep 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Amazing! What a fuss bout nothing! He didn’t even say it as if it was his opinion, he said it like a quote “for balance”! 😆

(note, I only made general comments about clarkson on the thread, not about the current outrage! 🙂 )

ronniebiggs
    Free Member

good old gezza…………..
    will any body see the funny side of him(it’s joke for god sake lighten up)
    these people will get more a year sat on there backside than i do working,

Edukator
    Free Member

That Clarkson still has a job says something to me about the BBC. Standards at the BBC are the real problem.

rainbow
    Free Member

Jeremy Clarkson is alway an idiot, never watch Top Gear cos of him and it’s shite program, and his two lapdogs (Hammy and May) try so hard to be funny but failed miserable.

Hope the beeb will sack him.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

will any body see the funny side

I’ve had a look. I can’t see any.

molgrips
    Free Member

will any body see the funny side of him

Sometimes he is funny, sometimes his show is funny, but most definitely not then.

Houns

I didn’t need to look to see it 😀

gordimhor

Does anybody else think Clarkson and Cameron are the same person? I for one have never seen them together ,they have the same swollen ego and 😆 obviously share ‘the same gift of the gab’
    i can also reveal that george osborne is the new stig…some say he has 3 pensions:-)

wrightyson
    Free Member

I watched it, I lol’d I then thought they’ll be all over that for tomorrows news! Utter bollox! Anybody would think he’d called Andrew sachs a ****!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thought this was quite fitting. No point in being outraged. Just try and understand him (cock that he is). 🙂

Yesterday was not the first time Jeremy Clarkson has chosen to air his unique brand of politically incorrect views in public. It almost certainly won’t be the last.

Despite the anger from well-meaning types over his latest outburst, Clarkson’s fan base will undoubtedly have found it hilarious. His trademark has long been the rejection of thought and sensitivity in favour of boorishness, and his brand, if you wish to call it that, already taps into a ready market of men (and it is mostly men) who feel the same way about the world as he does.

In other words, nothing Clarkson said on Wednesday’s episode of The One Show will be too far outside anything fans of the presenter aren’t already familiar with.

Personally, I’ve always found Clarkson’s rants about ‘political correctness gone mad’ to resemble a grown man tipping his food off the plate because Mummy won’t give him his favourite toy. But then, I quite like political correctness; and women, the disabled and people born in different countries don’t generally upset me or send me into a rage. Nor am I bragging when I say that I don’t feel any particular need to have a phallic symbol in my driveway.

In this respect, railing against Clarkson the individual is almost certainly pointless. Clarkson and his followers represent a more universal frustration – that of the 21st century failed adult male: uncouth, bitter and festooned with the outdated trappings of machismo.

Behind all the boorishness, if you look closely, you can at times glimpse in Clarkson and his disciples something which is actually quite interesting: a deep sense of fear and insecurity in the face of the modern world.

Understanding this is worth more than any amount of ‘outrage’.

nealglover
    Free Member

One quote I read today seems to sum this up quite well …..

“It is important to remember that offence is taken and not given. Sometimes offence is taken when it was not intended, in which case it is fault of the person who took offence, and the speaker is not involved at all.[/u]

So what if you don’t find Clarkson funny ?
    So what if you don’t like Top Gear?
    So what if you find some things he says offensive ?

He has the right to say things that you may or may not find funny.
    He has the right to say things that you may or may not find offend you.
    He has the right to make TV programs that you may or may not like.

Grow up and stop moaning.

(this is aimed at nobody in particular, just at the general “moaning and wailing” that tends to happen every time someone says something controversial, and Some people seem duty bound to search it out on YouTube and then be “offended” or “outraged” by the thing they went out of their way to watch, and then complain very loudly about it)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s possible to say that someone is offensive (along with his myriad other deficiencies) without being offended. Imagine that!

It’s also possible to complain about something without being outraged.

It’s possible to say “Clarkson is a cock” without one’s eyes bulging with anger.

I see more outrage from his fans on this thread than from his detractors.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

+100 binners. Loved Brooker’s piece.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I think that Clarkson fan base will have been thoroughly over the moon at watching the left’s reaction to the whole thing 😀

There’s a huge portion of this great country enjoy nothing better than a little bit of shit stirring, and watching the usual suspects jump up and down in outrage at something so simple is manna from heaven.

All the left has done reinforce their own caricature as humourless, puritanical prigs, removed from the common man and unable to remove the stick from their arses.

One is minded to recall Malvolio arriving to spoil the party once again…:

“Just because thou art virtuous, shall there be no cakes and ale?”

gordimhor

DD is right Jezza is only trying to make sure the fanbase is aware of whatever new product hehas coming out for Christmas. He chooses to do so by using his access to the media to ridicule those less fortunate than himself Offensive ? yes in my opinion and also very very predictable

Stoner
    Free Member

whiny/huffy Axis of Feeble

Thanks binners, just for ^ that.
    It will be reappearing in an Armageddon thread near you soon.

flow
    Free Member

One quote I read today seems to sum this up quite well …..

“It is important to remember that offence is taken and not given. Sometimes offence is taken when it was not intended, in which case it is fault of the person who took offence, and the speaker is not involved at all.

So what if you don’t find Clarkson funny ?
    So what if you don’t like Top Gear?
    So what if you find some things he says offensive ?

He has the right to say things that you may or may not find funny.
    He has the right to say things that you may or may not find offend you.
    He has the right to make TV programs that you may or may not like.

Grow up and stop moaning.

+1

nealglover
    Free Member

I see more outrage from his fans on this thread than from his detractors.

Just to be clear, I’m not outraged, and I’m not a Clarkson Fan either.

I’m bored of the “outrage” circus that happens every so often when someone like Clarkson does exactly what they get paid to do, and says something controversial.

molgrips
    Free Member

He didn’t say anything controversial, he said something really stupid and tasteless, and not at all funny. I doubt that’s his job description…

All the left has done reinforce their own caricature as humourless, puritanical prigs

Oh don’t be so frigging stupid!

donsimon
    Free Member

Ch4 now, the children are being thought of, thankfully.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 375 total)

The topic ‘Jeremy Clarkson on the One Show’ is closed to new replies.