Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Jade Goody
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

it is increasingly hard to ignore – despite best efforts, avoiding the red-tops isn’t enough it’s everywhere – on the TV, at work, on cycling forums (!)

I think I must have been quite lucky then. I really don’t feel like I’ve had it rammed down my throat – and I actually run a celebrity news website.

Saying that, I don’t really leave the house apart from to get food, ride my bike or push a pram around – and I don’t read the papers or celeb rags (they’re old news from a web POV).

But if you lot think there have been some unpleasant things on here, you should have seen some of the deeply disturbing comments I’ve removed from Jade stories. Some would make you shiver.

aracer
    Free Member

I think I must have been quite lucky then. I really don’t feel like I’ve had it rammed down my throat – and I actually run a celebrity news website.

That probably means you have a rather higher “Jade Goody news” irritation threshold than many of the rest of us though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The only real thing to do is to offer sympathy to those that new her, loved her and have lost her.

aracer
    Free Member

Make sure you offer the same to the families and friends of the couple of thousand other people who died yesterday.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am sure that that will mean a great deal to them.

chakaping
    Free Member

That probably means you have a rather higher “Jade Goody news” irritation threshold than many of the rest of us though.

Very true, it’s just work to me.

Still, the intensity of some people’s reaction surprises me.

I think they’re angry about more than just Jade Goody, but I’m not sure what.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The only real thing to do is to offer sympathy to those that new her, loved her and have lost her. Maybe we should all chip in and buy some flowers to lay at the ‘shrine to Jade’ outside her house.

corroded
    Free Member

I think they’re angry about more than just Jade Goody, but I’m not sure what.

I kind of have a theory about this but it’s a bit long-winded. I think it’s to do with people feeling profoundly unfulfilled and frustrated with their lives and with our cheapened society in which something like the death of a ‘celebrity’ famous for being talentless is a national news circus. It’s a sort of self-disgust, a sense of ‘how did we get here?’ I’m sure Alain de Botton could articulate it better.

flange
    Free Member

+100 with corroded

I find this whole thing with Jade Goody really annoying, to the point where I state that I ‘hate’ her when her name comes up in conversation. But I don’t at all, how can I as I’ve never met her and she’s done me no wrong. What I do have a massive issue with is the british media and press who constantly tell me I’m the poorest I’ve ever been (I’m not), my house is worth less everyday (I’m not selling), my job is at risk (no it isn’t) and that muslims can be blamed for the collapse of the british banking system and the death of Diana. Get told enough times that you should be miserable and it gets pretty hard to ignore. Adverts telling you to buy this and that but papers telling you that you can’t afford it.

Back to Jade, having read the piece in the telegraph, it seems that she did pretty well for herself, especially from what happened to her earlier in life.
    There’s a lot of supposedly ‘cleverer’ people working in banks that have put much more effort into earning much less – who is the biggest fool?

chakaping
    Free Member

Corroded – You’ve done a pretty good job there, no need for de Botton.

I’d just add that people are thinking “How did we get here… and why didn’t I do anything about it?”

It’s like the straw that breaks the camel’s back, making people realise that society must be massively misaligned for THIS to be the biggest news story in the country.

BUT… unlike with Princess Di’s death, there is already a large and vocal anti- contingent – so you’re not viewed as sub-human if you dare to question all the fuss.

In fact, the Beeb (our most publicly accountable broadcaster) seemed to be positively downplaying it when I looked at News 24 yesterday morning.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Ur computa skilz R sAricn.

Gary_M
    Free Member

On a brighter note this is most likely the last thread we will ever have on jade goody, every cloud and all that.

aracer
    Free Member

In fact, the Beeb (our most publicly accountable broadcaster) seemed to be positively downplaying it when I looked at News 24 yesterday morning.

Parts of maybe – still the subject of the debate on 5live this morning (yes I know I should listen to something else – any good suggestions for just after 9am?)

Chase
    Free Member

A guy I work with was running a book along with his football mates on the date she would pop off.

I just don’t get this celebrity worship thing. Yes, awareness about cervical cancer has been highlighted and that’s no bad thing at all, but to me she was just some loudmouth in the right place at the right time when it came to achieving fame.

Oxboy
    Free Member

why is she being called a racist? dont know anything about this, was she a member of the hitler youth?

Gary_M
    Free Member

was she a member of the hitler youth? No, it was the Klu Klux Klan.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

A family tragedy and not a national one. It should have been kept there.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I never saw her wearing a pillow case on her head!
    Come on all this racism stuff, what happened?

trailmonkey

She refered to an Indian lady called Shilpa Shetty as “Shilpa bleedin Poppadom”. This was set against a background of Jade Goody acting in a rather childish, jealous and bullying manner toward the lady in question.

Pretty unsavoury stuff. I’m sure if you You Tube it, you’ll find it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So do you think she’s gone for goody then?

IGMC

Soup
    Free Member

I think the simple fact that so many people on here who disliked her are going on about the whole thing at all proves why the media hype exists. Love her or hate her, everyone has an opinion and they seem to want to argue about it! If you really don’t care, just shut up. I for one thought very little of her but as I have said before it’s terribly sad for her children. If you want the media train to stop, then cease filling the internet with your views about her. I’m done. Now move along – nothing to see here.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Very sad for her family, but shouldn’t affect anyone else.

One of my work colleagues lost her husband to an aggressive cancer on Friday, I’m still waiting for the PM to announce that he is deeply saddened and speak on behalf of the nation about what a top bloke he was. God isn’t Gordon Brown a c@ck

maxray
    Free Member

I pay little interest to the culture of celebrity and as such it has only upset me as much as the hundereds of other people I dont know who die each day.

I reckon the majority of the moaners on this thread are just jealous that she made bucket loads of cash in her short time on the planet. Think of all the lycra and bike bits you could buy!

aracer
    Free Member

I think the simple fact that so many people on here who disliked her are going on about the whole thing at all proves why the media hype exists.

Quick fact check. Most of us on here didn’t dislike her, but are simply indifferent. It’s the media hype we’re going on about – if that didn’t exist, neither would this thread.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Smee – Member
    Some people may not like her or what she did, but some of the comments above are a little bit below the belt when you consider that she was 27.

A rare gem of commonsense in a thread otherwise filled with mostly infantile drivel.

Infantile drivel which conjures up classic images of puerile teenage boys determined to impress and shock their mates by showing just how cold and unemotional they can be.

Yes Smee some of the stuff on here is undoubtedly below the belt, but that I suspect, is very much the intention.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Infantile drivel which conjures up classic images of puerile teenage boys determined to impress and shock their mates by showing just how cold and unemotional they can be.
    some of the stuff on here is undoubtedly below the belt, but that I suspect, is very much the intention.

Is it infantile to be appalled by the media’s canonization of a woman whose main claim to fame was initially her stupidity, then her racism ? Is it infantile to be disgusted by the blatant hypocrisy of the tabloid media / people in general who in one breath call for her to be lynched, then worshipped the next? I don’t think it is at all infatile to say “I do not care about the suffering of an idiotic woman I’ve never met but who by all accounts was as thick as pig **** and twice as ignorant. Nor do I appreciate having the suffering and death of said woman rammed down my throat via every concievable form of media ” .

What is infantile is to allow the tabloid press to act as your emotional barrometer – to have knee jerk reactions to coldly calculated media campaigns designed to elicit certain responses from the hard of thinking so they’ll buy more newspapers.

Sandwich

A sharp and skilled operator. Knowing that the British laud ignorance and lack of learning she played up to it, dental nurses tend to have some brain power. It would have been interesting to have seen her in action without the showing off.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

…was she a member of the hitler youth?

Nah, that was the Pope.

Isn’t he cute in his little Nazi uniform.

All threads eventually mention Hitler/Nazis, why should this thread be different eh?

aracer
    Free Member

All threads eventually mention Hitler/Nazis, why should this thread be different eh?

Did he wear a helmet? That would sort out some of the other threads.

suspenders
    Free Member

A sharp and skilled operator. Knowing that the British laud ignorance and lack of learning she played up to it…

you’re joking right?
    she thought a ferret was a bird and that abscess was a green French drink…

if she cared so much about the cause why didn’t she give some of her hard-earned (right?) money to a cancer charity rather than pissing all that she’d milked into her own shallow end of the gene pool?

if her kids end up well-rounded, intelligent, upstanding pillars of the community – if that’s still something to aspire to and be proud of in 20 years time – then I’ll eat my own feet

AndyP
    Free Member

it’s all thatcher’s fault

grannyring-spinner
    Free Member

I have a dilemma now with her funeral on the 4th April – it is the same day as my wedding. Do I cancel the wedding out of respect? Do I just not turn up at the church and line up with all her fans? What if the church is empty due to the overwehlming grief that my guests feels they need to express?

molgrips
    Free Member

Our baby’s due then 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

her funeral on the 4th April Thats a bit of a while to be hanging about, is it not? Is that to give everyone a chance to see her laying in state.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but the delay may be to allow time for the media rights to be auctioned and arrangements to be made.

oomidamon

Max Clifford was being interviewed on BBC Breakfast news on Sunday morning and said that most of his clients come to him because they are trying to keep out of the limelight. Well that makes him a pretty sh*t PUBLICIST then! What a toatal arse.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

GNARGNAR – Member
    Is it infantile to……..

You want to know what’s infantile ? I’ll tell you. For a start, comments in your hate filled posts such as this little beauty :

“She should be villified, not praised for her lack of taste, decency and intelligence.”

Not only is that statement utterly absurd and ridiculous, but it suggests a raging anger typical of an immature mind.

Comments like that one and many more on this thread I would associate with the callous, spiteful, hate and anger filled rantings of the school playground.

Death is always tragic, and not less so when it comes to a young mother in a particuarily unpleasent manner. Smee whilst accepting that “some people may not like her or what she did” understood this. It is after all, the grown-up attitude.

Lack of empathy is imo a sign of an immature character. Children lack the empathy of adults, hence they often appear cruel and uncaring of one another’s feelings. As children grow up into mature adults, they become much more able to understand and associate with the personal feelings and sufferings of others. IIRC, judging by your attitude on SillyOldHector’s thread where he mentioned his devastation due to the loss of a much loved pet, I reckon you’ve got quite a bit of growing up to do GNARGNAR.

Furthermore, an inability to understand when it is appropriate and when it is not appropriate to launch into a character assassination of an individual, suggests a lack of social skills and a further sign of immaturity. I would suggest that it is not appropriate to do so on the day of the announcement of the person’s death.

Which brings me to the astonishing reaction by some, of Gordon Brown’s comments. What Gordon Brown said on hearing of the death before her time, of a young mother who was very much in the public eye, was perfectly in keeping with the socially accepted protocol of a man in his position. I can only assume that those who criticised him did so driven by a pathetic and childish need to have a dig at the the leader of the Labour Party. David Cameron also paid tribute to JG, but presumably because he is leader of the Conservative Party, was spared any such criticism.

And before anyone asks yes, the view from my high horse is indeed stunning – some of you ought to get out of the gutter and have a look.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Gus, the sound you can hear is that post being archived for easy reference when Margaret Thatcher dies. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Jade Goody’ is closed to new replies.