Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Jade Goody
  • IWH
    Free Member

Grizzly – I’m not saying that everybody has to live their lives helping and serving others, I’m not claiming to be an overwhelming force for good or a massive charity benefactor – I was merely saying that the media have done their best to paint her as some kind of Saint who’s led an ‘amazing life’ and something ‘inspirational’. She wasn’t.

It’s a tragic thing to happen to a Family. Any Family. I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone but I didn’t care for her in life and I’m not about to start wittering on about her now she’s gone.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

…the media have done their best to paint her as some kind of Saint who’s led an ‘amazing life’ and something ‘inspirational’. She wasn’t.

I see, you’ve got a problem with media – not her. Fair enough 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Mothers day, eh? I bet Cliffod finished her off with a house brick this morning, ‘Think of the publicity, Jade!’

I Lol’d.
    I’m going to hell.

Crayola
    Free Member

Nah, if Clifford was going to finish her off, he’d have done it earlier so she could have made it into the first edition of the Sunday papers.

More likely that little scrote she’d married who thought the marriage was starting to drag on a bit.

jedi

she was kind and a laugh everytime i met her.
    sleep well jade.xx

Davy
    Free Member

If only the media had given as much time over to Jane Tomlinson. Dying of cancer, she rode tens of thousands of miles, and raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity. She actually made a difference to people’s lives, in a selfless, modest way, while slowly and painfully dying.

Jade on the other hand has briefly raised awareness about cervical cancer, and tried to grab as much cash as she can for herself, all the while being manipulated by the parasite that is Max Clifford. I think that Telegraph obituary sums it up quite nicely really…

hora
    Free Member

If only the media had given as much time over to Jane Tomlinson.

They did. It was on the news when she was cycling across America, in the papers etc. Jade resonates more as she was known in the press before her illness.

AndyP
    Free Member

sleep well jade
    she’s dead, not asleep.

Davy
    Free Member

Hora, engage brain before typing. The media did not give as much time to Jane as they gave (and are continuing to give) to Jade. I didn’t see her on the news every day, in every gossip mag, and on the front of every newspaper.

Jade resonates more because she had been such a figure of hatred and loathing in the press before they realised they could make money off her.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Agree with WTF, the Telegraph obituary does sum it up well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

has your life touched so many people, and left a positive legacy?

Sorry but who are we talking about here, is it Mother Theresa or Jade Goody?

Loads of people die every day, its crap for their families, however we don’t have a national outpouring of grief about it.

Can we change Mothers Day to Jade Goody Day, just so we all remember how she touched our lives?

she was kind and a laugh everytime i met her So the fact that she was a racist bully doesn’t matter then.

chakaping
    Free Member

She loved the attention, she would have done all the media stuff for free if they weren’t paying.

Far from being harmful, I’m sure the media circus made her last days more bearable. Being the focus of so much concern and attention must have been some comfort.

If you don’t like it then don’t blame her, don’t blame, Max Clifford and don’t blame the media – blame the ordinary people (probably your friends and family) who read OK magazine and watch Living TV. That’s who paid Jade’s wages.

Smee
    Free Member

STW sinks to a new low. Some of you losers on here make my **** skin crawl.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s it exactly chakaping. I can’t understand why people were so eager to watch someone die.

scruff
    Free Member

Lady Di gave us this –

What will Jade goody leave for us, apart from 2 disfunctional children who will probably end up like messed up n’that?

hora
    Free Member

Davy, I dont know- its my memory versus your recollection. I dont really want to discuss this though as I can not speak in anyones name. Respect for the dead please. She hardly killed anyone did she? We all know the English press are there to chase sales.

aracer
    Free Member

Dare I ask what brought that on, Smee? What exactly do you have a problem with?

hora
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Lady Di gave us this –

I know they arent anything special to look at but I’d love to stand astride in the middle and seagull-them 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No matter her previous actions, for someone to die young and leave behind a family is tragic.

And like her or not, she was a media phenononom so, unfortunately for those of us that did not care for her much in life, there is a story that the press want to tell.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah I was thinking of posting a similar response to smee as your aracer but then I thought it would be best not to give him the attention. He’ll only start crying again.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s not that I wish her any ill. Or that I want to compare the value of her life with the value of anyone else’s life, or minimise her suffering or anything else.

It’s simply that this is not in any sense “news” or “information”, it is a form of entertainment, and I don’t want to get involved in it.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Oh, so I see it’s acceptable to mention this again now?? Bannishment here I come again….

Despite Max Clifford’s best efforts, her life and her death meant nothing to me. I was not compelled to buy a single one of the dozens of magazines or newspapers which had her face and “her agony” emblazoned on the front. I’ll not mourne her passing. I’ll be glad if I never see another picture of her or hear her name again. I’m not going to succumb to some tabloid driven emotional conformism.

She is dead becuase she was so stupid she ignored medical advice. Not as part of some grand scheme to promote cancer awarness.

She has raised cancer awarness out of a desire to make money. Not as part of some grand scheme to promote cancer awarness.

If any women are saved thanks to her “actions” it will be thanks to her stupidity and greed.

Her death was as public and distastful as her life. Few, if any other cancer sufferers will have the opportunity to exploit their own suffering and death in the way that Jade did.

Unlike Jade, most who are suffering from terminal cancer haven’t already had successful careers in the media, book and perfume deals, excercise dvds and hundreds of tv appearances to support their loved ones, yet they die without fanfare or note, and they have the good taste and decency not to whore out their own suffering for further financial gain. She should be villified, not praised for her lack of taste, decency and intelligence. Society really has sunk to a new low when things like this are rammed down our throats unchallenged.

aracer
    Free Member

She is dead becuase she was so stupid she ignored medical advice.

You’ve obviously been paying a lot more attention to her than me 😆 I’m kind of curious now though – exactly what medical advice did she ignore?

jimmy

didn’t she ignore results from a previous smear test which said she had pre-cancerous cells?

Mark

Now maybe it’s Monday morning and I’m still a bit grumpy but..

This kind of comment annoys me. Smee.. you ARE STW. you’ve been a member of this particular incarnation of STW since it was born on the 24th December 2008. You are oneof the founding members! STW hasn’t sunk to anything. Opinions by some of your fellow members have annoyed you.

Oh, and to everyone… Personal insults will get you a 48 hour suspension. Avoiding the swear filter will do too. It’s a hot topic and it’s got the attention of the mods so if you can’t control your posts to a reasonable level, expect to be given some time off.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s it exactly chakaping. I can’t understand why people were so eager to watch someone die.

I’m glad you think I’m right, but I was sort of arguing with your and others’ previous posts by trying to make the point that the public interest in Jade is what led to all the media attention – not vice versa.

It doesn’t matter whether people “like” it or not, it’s what the public wants.

I know some members on here favour censoring the press so that they don’t have to read about people like Jade. Personally I think they’d be better off shouting outside WH Smith than moaning here.

Smee
    Free Member

Some people may not like her or what she did, but some of the comments above are a little bit below the belt when you consider that she was 27.

trailmonkey

I just hope that this might herald some kind of cultural renaissanse, whereby we realise just how ghoulish the culture of celebrity really is. In this, the ultimate case, following the death of someone, pictorially, serialised, in real time. I can’t believe how prophetic Charlie Brooker’s Dead Set was.

aracer
    Free Member

I must have missed those, or simply let them wash over me (maybe something you should try, Smee). Can’t be bothered reading the whole thing again to try and guess which ones you mean. Surely you expected some negative comments in a thread on here? Your suggestion that it’s the worst STW has ever got is ridiculously hyperbolic when you consider some of the other things which have been posted on here.

molgrips
    Free Member

Her death was as public and distastful as her life. Few, if any other cancer sufferers will have the opportunity to exploit their own suffering and death in the way that Jade did.

She was a known celeb. People are interested in people they’ve heard about ie celebs. Is that Jade’s fault?

She died, some people care about it. Do you have to slag off the people that do?

Gary_M
    Free Member

chakaping can’t see where your post argues with mine. I didn’t blame Goody for the media attention.

comments above are a little bit below the belt when you consider that she was 27 Would they have been acceptable if she was 47?

chakaping
    Free Member

No, you’re right Gary, not really arguing, just trying not to get myself all het up over it.

It doesn’t matter whether she was worthy of all that attention or not. People wanted to know about her.

I’ve not seen the media making her out to be a saint or anything anyway, I think that goes on in the heads of people who don’t actually read the tabloids anyway.

Like Daily Mail readers complaining about BBC shows they didn’t see – it’s not meant for you, ignore it.

aracer
    Free Member

Like Daily Mail readers complaining about BBC shows they didn’t see – it’s not meant for you, ignore it.

The only issue I have at all is that it’s pretty hard to ignore at the moment.

hora
    Free Member

The Daily Mail ran a front page news story at the weekend with a warning on IVF treatment (defects etc). I’d like to see more info on that out there to get everyones attention. Why did only the Daily Mail run this?!

epicyclo

She was a dim bird, with not much in the way of looks, but she managed to make a fortune for herself. I suspect many smarter, better looking more deserving people were envious of her “undeserved” success. Hence the vitriolic comments.

Cancer is not a nice way to go. Dimness or unpleasant opinions are not a capital offence (yet), so my sympathy to her family.

hora
    Free Member

Radio one is making me sick- I’m finding it really really distasteful and hard to ignore. The reference that Jade is just like Lady Diana, both were outsiders to the establishment. What the ****?

And no offence but if Jades name is used to hijack the good work that already happens- someone I ‘know’ has always received timely and regular requests for smear tests. I can also go further into this but it is abit personal to be honest. Lets just say that I’ve experienced no incompetence but efficiency in reminders, diagnosis and preventative treatment when it was needed all promptly actioned. Well her name is being used to highlight others good work when she ignored the mechanism.

brakes
    Free Member

The only issue I have at all is that it’s pretty hard to ignore at the moment.

exactly

the whole shitstorm this has kicked up is ridiculous and it is increasingly hard to ignore – despite best efforts, avoiding the red-tops isn’t enough it’s everywhere – on the TV, at work, on cycling forums (!)

nobody wants to speak badly of those who are in grief, suffering or dead as we all know someone who’s been in this position and we’ve all felt their pain – but also nobody wants to have emotions forced on them for people they dont’ know; it’s a defense mechanism to say ‘I couldn’t give a **** about it’

as trailmonkey says hopefully, maybe this whole debacle will make us (the people, the media, celebrities, agents, advertisers) question the morality of this kind of ‘event’

somehow I think any wholesale cultural change will ultimately be steered by the media and not by the people, which is a bit sad really 😥

Gary_M
    Free Member

maybe this whole debacle will make us (the people, the media, celebrities, agents, advertisers) question the morality of this kind of ‘event’ Yeh and the recession will see an end to greed and the ‘need it now’ culture.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Could we remove this thread and make the name a swear word so it never appears?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Jade Goody’ is closed to new replies.