Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • I’ve just had a speculative mooch around the other cycling forums…
  • RustySpanner

You don’t get the same mix of humour and pedantry anywhere else.

Most of those that have left I really miss, for various reasons. Some I’m glad have gone.

Maybe a clearout of regulars would freshen the place up a bit? I know I’ve posted nothing new since 2016, I’ve run out of fish puns and struggle for new tunes on the association thread. 🙂

Sadly, we’re  losing the technical knowledge and practical hard won experience too, the depth and breadth of which I’ve not found anywhere else.

Of course, this game better with as many players as possible and current functionality is affecting forum usage.

I don’t know how this usually plays out on other forums, but it will be interesting to see the state of play once the dust’s settled.

All a bit sad really.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve run out of fish puns

You shoulda had a couple in reserve.

zokes
    Free Member

I don’t know how this usually plays out on other forums

http://www.mtb-wales.com/

RustySpanner

You shoulda had a couple in reserve.

Well, there’s coelacanth, but I’ll doubt I’ll elver get the chance to use it now.

Drac

I’ve run out of fish puns

Brill.

dazh

I”ve been on many forums in the past, both cycling and non-cycling. This was and still is the best. TBH the main thing detracting from it is the loud and disproportionate whining of a vocal few about stuff that isn’t really a problem. Whilst they are easy to ignore I’m becoming somewhat bored of the constant whinging and as a result have been here less often recently. It’s like when you get a miserable grumpy sod at a party who doesn’t like everyone else having a good time so they do their best to ruin it for everyone else. It’s very sad.

zokes
    Free Member

…and then there’s those who open threads simply to whinge about the whingers. Probably the same people who “reply all” asking people to stop replying all

footflaps

It’s the people moaning about the moaners I just don’t get….

DezB
    Free Member

somewhat bored of the constant whinging

Quality whinge about whinging there. I’ll be in the kitchen at this party.

PrinceJohn

The classifieds certainly seem quieter these days… but they do on bike radar too

aracer
    Free Member

It’s the moaning about the people whining about the whingers which really gets on my tits.

finbar
    Free Member

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/forum.php?board=1

If you like forums that look like they fell out of 1998, this is where I waste most of my time now.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve been on this forum since day one. It used to be the first place I came to but now I only look every few days. Mountain biking is flatlining according to my LBS owner whereas road cycling has been growing for some years. This might explain why Cycle Chat is gaining members, also the fact that it’s an easy website to use with loads of good features including easy picture posting.

bigjim

Personally I think the problem lies in the constant politics and religion arguments

Personally I come here less because it feels like every thread ends up turning into a groundhog day argument between the same 10 or 12 or so regular old boys, who must spend hours on here a day just waiting to get stuck into each other, especially on the chat forum side. It’s just pointless getting involved in threads any more as any potentially interesting discussion gets drowned out by the same old bickering between the same old people. They tend to be the people that complain most about the forum too, ironically.

I find the forum fine to use, no pop ups, quick, simple, not sure why everyone else seems to have problems and I don’t?

MTBR is really useful and good for actual bike facts, opinions based on actual experience and interactions with manufacturers. I’m not aware of/don’t use any other forums, but like vital mtb and pinkbike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The way you were able to turn that point into a personal attack and a moan  whilst saying it is what they do was  AWESOME.

Personally i think you could give them a run for their money

CountZero

I find the forum fine to use, no pop ups, quick, simple, not sure why everyone else seems to have problems and I don’t?

Likewise.

DezB
    Free Member

They tend to be the people that complain most about the forum too, ironically

So, the people who use the forum the most are the ones that have the most problems? Well,whoda thunk that eh? 🤓

shermer75
    Free Member

Personally I come here less because it feels like every thread ends up turning into a groundhog day argument between the same 10 or 12 or so regular old boys, who must spend hours on here a day just waiting to get stuck into each other, especially on the chat forum side.

Again, I’ve never known it to be any different.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sadly, we’re  losing the technical knowledge and practical hard won experience too, the depth and breadth of which I’ve not found anywhere else.

I’l be honest I was a bit sad to see Amedias go, he was always a great source of really useful advice. He said he’d be back though once the wrinkles are ironed out, so it’s all good! 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

M(l)eh – “you spin me right round baby, right round……..” 🎵🎵

💩

CountZero

Again, I’ve never known it to be any different.

Been on here since 2003, people have been bitching about the forum as long as I’ve been here. What has changed is there are far fewer threads which end up as a massive bitch-fest between two or three ‘Big Hitters’™ © ®

There is the Brexit thread, which I treat like an old map, with large spaces marked ‘Here be Dragons’, and keep well away from…

DezB
    Free Member

people have been bitching about the forum as long as I’ve been here

Yeah, but before they screwed it up, it was just jokey remarks about hamsters and when the update’s coming. Nothing like it is now thats for sure.

MrOvershoot

Yes but how many other bike sites put their company van up for sale on the front page & then hurriedly take it off when someone points out its not had an MOT on it for 10 months 😀

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AO8aiHInIrIJ:https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04/the-singletrack-kombi-t5-lwb-vw-van-is-for-sale/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=de

Though I see they have now got an MOT on it
    Date registered 4 June 2014

MOT valid until 11 April 2019

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I’ve just had a speculative mooch around the other cycling forums…’ is closed to new replies.