Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • I’ve just had a speculative mooch around the other cycling forums…
  • anagallis_arvensis

I think the forum update is fine, surely its the constant redirects that are causing a drop in posts?..

Not had one today though!!!

v8ninety

Personally I think the problem lies in the constant politics and religion arguments and peoples general lack of respect.

Respectfully, 😉 I would disagree. One of the main reasons I like this place is because it is safe to challenge accepted norms, (unlike faceache groups where IMLE it’s a big cosy agreeathon for fear of getting booted) but importantly people mostly challenge appropriately, in contrast to say, YouTube comments which are often just full of unadulterated juvenile abuse, often jingoistic,racist, homophobic etc in nature.

It’s good here; people think about what they want to say, mostly say it politely, and but don’t seem afraid to share their real opinions.

Also, having actual grown* up discussions about religion and politics without either a) it descending into really nasty vitriol, or b) it just being an echo chamber of like minded people is a genuinely rare thing on the internet or indeed in Real Life™️ these days.

*Everything is relative; give me this one 😜

richmtb

peoples general lack of respect*

Well, with the greatest respect kind sir, I think this place is about the most respectful internet forum I’ve come across.

Compared to some of the cesspools that exist on the bottom half of the internet elsewhere, the majority of post on here are respectful, reasonably well informed and on the whole clearly not deliberately trying to offend.

Its not a safe space, people are entitled to air views that you might not agree with and you can of course choose not to bother with threads on topics you know will be contentious.

So off you pop treacle 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Personally I think the problem lies in the constant politics and religion arguments and peoples general lack of respect

Hasn’t it always been like that?!? 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just goes to show how differently people view the forum.

Politics/religion/any other big argument doesn’t bother me because I stop reading when I get bored (approx 10 secs)

I do like to be able to go back to threads I’ve contributed to so I can see what info someone else may have added and that is not so easy post update.  I’ve found the mobile site less user friendly since last autumn too.  For those reasons I probably use the forum less than I used to, it’s just that little bit more effort than I can be bothered to make.

MTBR and Pinkbike I like for different reasons (loads of good info in the MTBR forums) but in both cases the screen is a little too busy for viewing when you should be working in an open office

shermer75
    Free Member

MTBR and Pinkbike I like for different reasons (loads of good info in the MTBR forums) but in both cases the screen is a little too busy for viewing when you should be working in an open office

I agree about how busy some forums look, I’ve always liked how simple this one is and it’s been great to see that carried over into the update. Maybe that’s why this forum is so full of old giffers like me! Lol

Garry_Lager

For technical bike chat with people who seem pretty clued by I find mtbr pretty good. You’ll sometimes get manufacturers on there replying as well.

Some great stuff on mtbr and it’s been going ages – but have you ever seen a more fragmented forum? 130 sub-forums on mountain biking sounds like a deliberate joke. Still, if you want to know what tyres for 29er gravel fat bike ridden in the state of Arizona, they’ll be someone there to tell you.

CountZero

Still, if you want to know what tyres for 29er gravel fat bike ridden in the state of Arizona, they’ll be someone there to tell you.

Pretty sure someone would be along to advise on here if asked…

Onzadog
    Free Member

You generally can’t fault this place for someone being able to help out with something entirely random and off the wall.

Having said that, no one has been able to tell me what the theme tune to mine heist on Netflix keeps reminding me of.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Having said that, no one has been able to tell me what the theme tune to mine heist on Netflix keeps reminding me of.

Dire Straits innit.

That opening bit is very Knopfleresque. Telegraph Road maybe?

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s certainly not what it was. You do get the occasional good thread but they are getting fewer and farther between. True, it’s still my go to place for advice but for entertainment or a gentle bit of time wasting, no. I pop in now and again from the office but very rarely from home.

Can’t put my finger on what it is, maybe it has just run it’s course.

footflaps

>Politics/religion/any other big argument doesn’t bother me because I stop reading when I get bored

+1

>Well, with the greatest respect kind sir, I think this place is about the most respectful internet forum I’ve come across.

+1, in a league of its own.

>It does feel like people are contributing less.

Yep, site visit numbers might be up but the Chat Forum (only part I look at) is much quieter after the great cock up (upgrade) recently.

>Can’t put my finger on what it is, maybe it has just run it’s course.

Self feeding cycle, people post less, so less to respond to, so you come here less frequently and post less etc. Making the whole forum unusable for a month or more was an interesting business decision.

scotroutes

Making the whole forum unusable for a month or more was an interesting business decision.

Intentional. The word you’re looking for is intentional. It’s all going according to plan. Apparently.

I’m not convinced traffic is up. IIRC the one day Mark referred to as being “the busiest ever” was also the day that The Beast From The East hit. Far be it from me to suggest there just might have been a correlation.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You must take into account the term “busiest ever” and 1.5m views per month… because those figures are misleading, thay maybe true, misleading by intimating that it is a common everyday occurrence.

The forum isn’t STW, it’s a sub segment. The main site page will have views and impressions, these can be identified are recurring (same user) or single impression.. stretch that out to the forum segment and there will be a log of all current users logged in, and unique visits.

So, add both together and you may indeed hit those figures once, maybe three times a month.. but in plain view are the post count on the forum alone and we do single this out because we use this segment most. We all know posts are down, users we know and have known for some time are no longer here. Few posters are new and we see threads last longer without response.. views we have no idea and can only speculate on the amount of folks that pop in, get pop ups or redirects or other forum issues then leave immediately.. Yes they may come back to see if it’s all clear, so another impression, but if they get hit again that’s pretty much it for thier UX.

Seasoned posters hang around a lot longer obviously, but even those are thin on the ground lately.. we can only speculate as to whether it’s the forum issues or they’re just bored.

Make your own informed decision on that.

Drac

Unusable for a month but some how people are/were still posting. Seems unusable is bit of an exaggeration.

shermer75
    Free Member

Do you mean Money Heist? The Spanish one? I’ watching it now but it doesn’t seem to have a theme tune. Or is it at the end?

sbob
    Free Member

Unusable for a month but some how people are/were still posting.

Nothing like a healthy dose of sarcasm to keep your more respected long term subs paying forum members happy, eh Drac?

😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>shermer75
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Do you mean Money Heist? The Spanish one? I’ watching it now but it doesn’t seem to have a theme tune. Or is it at the end?

Yes, I do mean Money Heist. Opening credits as the lyrics start. I feel like there needs to be one extra note and then it would be something else. It’s really bugging me.

</div>

footflaps

>Nothing like a healthy dose of sarcasm to keep your more respected long term subs paying forum members happy, eh Drac?

They quite clearly don’t give a shit about forum members, they’re just chasing the 1.5m random bods who browse a page, see 234 random ads / 67 pop ups and then go somewhere else thinking ‘WTF was that?’. I assume they somehow get money from that and it’s the new business model.

drnosh
    Free Member

I subscribe £12 per year to a motorcycle forum (BMW).

Now that is a lively place.

No swear filter and lots of banter.

Sections for touring, technical, for sale, and The Pub amongst others.

Yes it has frequent posters and lurkers. I’m probably in the middle.

Easy to post, quote, link and upload pictures.

Nearly a picture to every post!

funkrodent

This forum is absolutely fantastic. Knowledge, humour, empathy, dignity, sympathy, innovation, all mixed in with ignorance, apathy, small-mindedness, anger, regret, aggression and idiocy.

To me it’s a fair representation of the human condition. At the end of the day it’s a bunch of people of all ages, backgrounds, experiences and beliefs (assuming of course that they are all Audi driving, IT middle managers from Woking) thrown together as a result of their love for (occasionally hatred of) mountain biking.

It’s made me laugh so hard I’ve spilt my tea/beer/pina colada on the keyboard, so angry I’ve put my size 12 through the screen and sent Chipps the bill, sad enough I’ve occasionally found the room getting a trifle dusty and surprisingly often its made me feel good about people and humanity in general. There’s also been a lot of good advice, some of which I’ve taken onboard. And I’ve learnt a fair bit about bikes along the way too.

I really, really hope that it has many, many years to go and that the characters, personalities and Lings that make it what it is continue to do so.

jruk
    Free Member

I really hope this place gets back to what it was but they’ve got their work cut out.

The rollout was a total **** up, there’s no other way to describe it. That pushed people away (I don’t believe user numbers).

The new version may be responsive / mobile friendly but it wasn’t that bad before but it now comes with ads everywhere* (gotta make money, get it), that it feels really clunky, especially with poor page load speeds.

> don’t show people a message saying they’re not logged in without putting a login link in the message <

That said, for advice and general politeness, this place is hard to beat, even if it is heavily populated with audi driving, orange riding, quinoa eating Guardian readers.

* I don’t use an ad blocker because I’m interested in how different brands use different formats and approaches

Drac

I’ve just visted. MTBR for a quick look, I think I probably have signed up years ago. Seems there really is 130 different forums to post on, loads of ads especially that wide banner on the right. Loved the retro 90s look off the forum layout and font style though.

zokes
    Free Member

> don’t show people a message saying they’re not logged in without putting a login link in the message <

This.

It’s the simple things. It’s really not that difficult (only it seems that it is for STW). I wonder if there have been some personnel changes within the web team at STW. The intuitive usability of the site, which always seemed to be a conscious focus just seems to have evaporated. Make it easy to use or unless compelled, people won’t use it.

My work offer remote access to network drives via VPN, and would prefer everyone to store their work there rather than on Dropbox et al. However, half the time the VPN is as slow as this site, and the other half the time you need to work on a file with an external collaborator and simple file shares don’t allow that. So, despite us having a nice secure in-house set up, because it’s a PITA to use, we still all use dropbox.

DezB
    Free Member

Loved the retro 90s look off the forum layout and font style though

Yeah, me too. It’s good to see some things aren’t changed just for the sake of it.

They must have some proper high-end techies working on their site though, what with having a “last post” column

sirromj

Screw the last post functionality.

I want spam statistics and to know when to say happy birthday to strangers on the internet.

Drac

Yup but after 17 hours I’d struggle to remember who posted last DezB so that is a handy feature.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yup but after 17 hours I’d struggle to remember who posted last DezB so that is a handy feature.

Are you missing the point or ignoring it?

chakaping
    Free Member

This forum is absolutely fantastic. Knowledge, humour, empathy, dignity, sympathy, innovation, all mixed in with ignorance, apathy, small-mindedness, anger, regret, aggression and idiocy.

Spot on.

And I agree the entertainment value has dropped off a bit, I try to keep it light and fun (when I’m not debating the merits of tyres or flaming Tory ****), but there seem to be fewer contributors with the same attitude recently.

Still nowhere quite like it for obscure tech Qs or route inspiration though.

sirromj

I’ve just had a speculative mooch of the non-forum part of this website. Reviews of £1500 wheels, £6000 bikes. Quite a niche target audience for that? I don’t imagine that even a high percentage of enthusiastic mountain bikers would consider spending that much money. Certainly not going to attract the average person thinking about taking up the sport.

DezB
    Free Member

Just being his usual hilarious self 😆

Drac

None of the above.

zippykona

I used to be on Rotorburns a lot. It was just like here but with swearing and rude pictures.

Now it is really dead. Shame.

I now get my rude pictures and jokes on the chat bit of a  motorbike forum that is mostly full of racist arseholes.

The actual motorbike bit is quite good for the adventure stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

They must have some proper high-end techies working on their site though, what with having a “last post” column

Drac

Poor DezB trying to get another laugh from the same joke.

RustySpanner

Cycling UK Forum is ok, but can be a joyless place – no fish puns in techy threads, be warned! A few of the more genuinely knowledgeable people from here are regulars.

MTBR – Too American. The level of blind fanboi obsession and the constant push for the new is wearing.

YACF has lots of useful info,  crossover with the Cycling UK crowd, but feels less formal.

Retrobike seems fun.

Not tried any others.

whitestone
    Free Member

Apart from here I’m on YACF, Bearbones and bikepacking.net.

YACF feels quite Audax oriented.

BB and bikepacking.net are obviously bikepacking oriented.

Only really dip in to MTBR if a search takes me there, as noted above 130 sub-forums is daft: I’m surprised there isn’t a handlebars sub-forum (maybe there is). Cycling Uk is another one that I’ll only really visit via search – hmm six sub-forums for classifieds. 😉

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The question is, do any of the other forums repeatedly, give you the chance to win an Amazon voucher or new phone?😀

Drac

According to a post the other day MTBR does.

aracer
    Free Member

CountZero wrote:

Still, if you want to know what tyres for 29er gravel fat bike ridden in the state of Arizona, they’ll be someone there to tell you.

Pretty sure someone would be along to advise on here if asked…

Do they make fat 29er Conti Vert Pros?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I’ve just had a speculative mooch around the other cycling forums…’ is closed to new replies.