Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • I’ve just had a speculative mooch around the other cycling forums…
  • shermer75
    Free Member

…and even with all the ongoing update annoyingness there still isn’t one as good as this one, hey?

I think the main reason is still simply the fact that all the threads are all listed together (not counting the classifieds, obvs!) making it really easy to see if there’s a new post, which in turn makes the forum feel more lively.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tribal forumism is a curious concept! 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

tribal forumism is a curious concept!

If you hum it I can play it lol

doomanic

You have got to be kidding. This forum is a **** nightmare with no jump to first unread, all posts still showing after they have been read and only two sections? Where are we, still in the ’90’s???

DickBarton

Unsure, I’m a relatively unknown here and I’d be a complete stranger anywhere else.  This place is dying, visit numbers are up due to the way the site now works, but the spark has long gone.

If it can be saved it’ll be a massive uphill battle to bring it back.

Saying that, the users who are still here are still incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, that has been killed – which is a real benefit.

Other places will be available but until you have spent time there, it’ll never feel as ‘good’…

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve been on forums that were better formatted ..but alas they are no more !

shermer75
    Free Member

You have got to be kidding. This forum is a **** nightmare with no jump to first unread, all posts still showing after they have been read and only two sections? Where are we, still in the ’90’s???

The no jump to first unread is annoying, in fact there’s not even a jump to the last comment to be fair lol. However I really like being able to go over the old posts and only having two sections- which can be seen as one anyway- has always been one of this forum’s great strengths for me 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve been on here since the year Dot & before the Great Hack (when was that again?)

It’s crap now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can remember a time when if I post didn’t get a response, it dropped off the first page in about twenty minutes. Now it can sit there all day.

It does feel like people are contributing less.

hugo
    Free Member

This forum’s simplistic, some say dated, layout is actually a big strength.

It focuses attention on popular recurring threads and is brutal in quickly dispatching ones that don’t engage. It also gives equal exposure across all areas encouraging a broader spectrum of responses. The lack of DM is great – transparency wins.

Definitely needs better tracking of one’s own threads though…

matt_outandabout

Did you check out mumset?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well there is an update on the pop ups and redirects from Cougar in the sticky, whilst it’s been a proper PITA if they have ringfenced the issue maybe folks will come back..

As is, I think the vast majority of posters are a bit bored TBH.. Taking an “natural” break, doing something else or possibly just have nothing to say. Maybe it was a sort of forced break taking the issues into consideration.. but we lost a lot of the very active hitters sometime ago.

Its certainly come to something when the EU thread drops out of view for a few days..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You want to bring back the forum glory days? Easy.

No swear filter and bring back Kylie Friday. Simples.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I came to this forum from another as the owner of the forum believed it ( and forums in general ) were dying a death ..he probably had a point to be fair …so closed it down without warning ( which was more than a little annoying to me at least)

That particular forum only had about 100 members with probably only about a third contributing at the end ..but it was cosy 😁.

This forum is fast paced by comparison ..but it’s layout falls way behind for all of the reasons listed above ..

Forums are dying ..enjoy it while it lasts ..

TheBrick
    Free Member

I like the overview format. Another successful forum I was a member of when I lived in loLond was lfgss and that folowefo the same format and made this place look quite even this place a few years ago. It’s (single track) still a good forum but this  forum update has been less than wellndone but I expect whoever is doing it has learnt a lot but I don’t think the forum will fully recover. It still more interesting than work!

sirromj

What about Reddit? Start a STW subreddit?

2tyred

Where are we, still in the ’90’s???

I think a majority of posters would like that to be the case. The 90s was brilliant.

spooky_b329

I like the simplistic layout but am getting increasingly frustrated with how slow it is to load threads and post replies, I tend to give up and go and waste my life on facebook or try and find something interesting on youtube 🙁

project
    Free Member

As with the Bike magic forum the format has changed and some dont like change, so they leave or actually ride their invisible bikes, or even drive their audi car and join a car forum.

The indepth discussions and cut and paste wars seem to have abated since the change along with all the arguments of trivial stuff.

Trimix
    Free Member

People are fickle and easily annoyed.

You have to make it very simple and easy and dont piss them off.

We expect stuff to work well and without any annoying bits.  Simply having to login every few days is annoying enough to stop people using it.  Sure it can be quick to log back in, but such a small issue is all it needs to push someone away.  Especially when the internet is full of things crying out for your limited attention span.

It’s a competition, the winner is the fastest least annoying site with the lowest intrusion from adverts.

It’s not rocket science.

flap_jack
    Free Member

“The 90s was brilliant”

Musically yes, but the bikes were awful.

Cougar

That particular forum only had about 100 members with probably only about a third contributing at the end ..but it was cosy

A couple of things here for context,

1) STW has about 1.5 million visitors per month.

2) See the 90-9-1 rule.  https://www.nngroup.com/articles/participation-inequality/

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is that the site as a whole, the impressions per page, the main stw site, the forum, the classifieds or the amount of times 100 users have to re-log in ??

Onzadog
    Free Member

@cougar, maybe the update could use that rule to tell us who is a lurker, contributor, or big hitter.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Forums are dead.

Pinkbike for the news and then their comments for the fights.

Less ebikes, gravel and no road. It’s the winner…

ajantom

I think a majority of posters would like that to be the case. The 90s was brilliant

Have you tried Retrobike? 😉

Actually RB is a good example of over complication in a forum. Far too many little sub-forums for every little subject. Some posters never leave there little clique, i.e. pre-97 roadbikes, or 70’s BMXs.

At least the simple 2 (well 3, but we don’t talk to the classified only oiks) section format means we all mingle, thus promoting wider viewing and discussion of topics.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Cougar ..I don’t really understand why you had to re-quote part of my post ..I already stated that the STW forum was fast paced in comparison ..but not neccessarily better .

Have those figures shown an increase over the last year ..or like other forums ( as impressive as they are ) been in decline ?

soobalias
    Free Member

i read the thread, i decide to comment, i have to scroll to the top of the page to login, that delivers me again at the top of the page, i scroll back down to the reply box…. most often i give up before this point.

its basics

loads of complaints about the popups, adverts etc. tbh both Win7 IE and Win10 Firefox browse the site fine, but if i cant rattle off a response easily, i give up, then i dont read another thread. Comments not welcomed/valued clearly, despite the oft quoted page views figure.

still cant beat a bit of forum naval gazing

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The 90s was brilliant.

you should try the STW search ‘function’. That only searches the 90s.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What a fascinating article. I wonder if it still holds true though, given that it was written 12 years ago (and updated in 2009). The internet and user engagement has changed enormously. Facebook is, what? 15 years old? Smartphones have been on the rise since 2010. I’d genuinely like to see an up-to-date survey.

The term ‘contributor’ could probably do with a very specific definition!

BurnBob
    Free Member

Agreed. For years it was part of my nightly pre going to bed routine. Not been on here for weeks now due to it being a bit rubbish.

Cougar

I don’t really understand why you had to re-quote part of my post

Only to provide context as to what I was saying, sorry, it wasn’t a direct reply beyond wondering whether your “only a third” was possibly optimistic.

Have those figures shown an increase over the last year

As far as I’m aware they have over this time last year.

What a fascinating article.

I thought so. I already knew the basic principle (it’s what reminded me in the first place and as you say it’s a pretty old study) The Wikipedia bit was surprising.

<mod> if this thread drifts into another “problems with the forum” thread I’ll have to close it, there are already two concurrent threads discussing the recent popup issue and the longer-running upgrade discussion.  Please keep those comments to those threads then everything is in one (two) places. </mod>

hols2
    Free Member

Where are we, still in the ’90’s???

The ’90’s were the best time to be alive, all been downhill since.

paton
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

For technical bike chat with people who seem pretty clued by I find mtbr pretty good. You’ll sometimes get manufacturers on there replying as well.

For me it’s a bit slow though due to the time difference.

kerley
    Free Member

The ’90’s were the best time to be alive, all been downhill since.

I think you’ll find that was the seventies.  Although the internet forums weren’t up to much back then.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

This is a cycling forum? Wowsers!

All I get is silly pop ups that cover the threads, a quote option that doesn’t work, and when I use my phone it puts words in that I’m not typing.

Also, WTH is singletrack tech, where did that come from? Do tech forums have bike sections?

richmtb

Former heavy user of WhatMTB and Bike Radar.  Both arguably had a better interface but I’ve hung around on here because the forum is / was a lot more lively and the majority of the posters seem more knowledgeable.

The quality of chat and advice for off-topic stuff is hard to beat to.  Ultimately this forum isn’t Singletrack’s core business.  It really up to us lot if we want to keep this place lively

FuzzyWuzzy

Def a lot quieter recently (at least in the Chat forum, I rarely visit the Bike forum these days…). Still worth visiting but at some point I guess it risks being in a downward spiral as less posts means less reason to visit. I assume the forum update is the main reason, although at the same time, unless there’s some alternative forum elsewhere people are using, if you want to post about something I’m not sure the forum is now bad enough it would stop me wanting to?

ads678

Personally I think the problem lies in the constant politics and religion arguments and peoples general lack of respect* rather than the format of the forum.

I like the basic nature of the site, things like jump to last read would be nice and the recent speed, or lack of, is frustrating but the site is easy to navigate. Not sure I want to carry on paying for my P, but I really don’t want the hassle of the redirects…..

*this seems to be a general internet wide thing where people just speak to others in a way they just wouldn’t in real life. Or maybe it’s just a lack of tone or body language thing. Whatever it is it just seems nasty and rude a lot of time.

Cue some one saying “U alright hun” or calling me a snowflake……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I’ve just had a speculative mooch around the other cycling forums…’ is closed to new replies.