Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?
  • richmtb

btw, c**t is a term of endearment up here

Well put seosamh77 your obviously a good c**t!

To be honest the word itself doesn’t bother me – its a Scottish first name. As with everything its the intention and context that matters

Woody
    Free Member

Said like a true sassenach. Now toddle along and start a thread about getting dusty eyes at a John Lewis advert or something

I can’t decide whether that’s funny or offensive. Actually it’s hilarious 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    Well put seosamh77 your obviously a good c**t!

To be honest the word itself doesn’t bother me – its a Scottish first name. As with everything its the intention and context that mattersAnother sound c**t, nice to meet ye fella! 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’m sure that THM and various assorted unionist politicians will be along in a minute to tell us that shows the SNP haven’t really given this whole independence thing enough thought.

😀 no need in this case, the use and misuse of the term Jock has a long and proud history that takes care of itself.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

aye, but not down there it’s not. As I found out on my first trip to London when my attempt at getting on with the natives didn’t go all that well.

eskay

Nowadays about the only socially acceptable piss taking, nicknaming or whatever you want to call it is associated with people with ginger hair. It is unacceptable to make any comments about race, religion, disability, nationality but ginger hair….

Hold on, what about a ginger jock (running for cover).

richmtb

Nowadays about the only socially acceptable piss taking, nicknaming or whatever you want to call it is associated with people with ginger hair. It is unacceptable to make any comments about race, religion, disability, nationality but ginger hair….

Gypsies and cyclists still seem to be fair game in most parts too

Rockape63
    Free Member

When you join the forces like I did in ’78 you find that almost no one gets called by their actual name…..its almost always the lowest common denominater, so Scouse, Taff, Jock, Paddy, Geordie became these guys first names and it was never meant as offensive, just Blokes being Blokes. If you came from a non identifiable area, then you got called a shortened version of your surname….although if you were a Smith it was ‘Smudger’ or a White it was Chalky etc etc.Oh yeah, Ginge, Lofty or worse if you had any physical peculiarities!

Move forward to 2013 and everyone is looking to take offence at every possible word/name being bandied about, which is a bit depressing. What will we be like in another 35 years?

mogrim

aye, but not down there it’s not. As I found out on my first trip to London when my attempt at getting on with the natives didn’t go all that well.

To be fair there’s a fair number of nutters wandering around London calling people that, add in a scottish accent and I’m not surprised they avoided you 🙂

(And despite being a fully paid-up southerner I’ve used it as a term of endearment, it’s not that uncommon…)

eskay

Ah, yes, forgot about the pikies(!).

I tend to agree with Rockapes sentiments.

77ric
    Free Member

I’m a Scotsman, and I live in the Lancashire. I’ve been called jock and all it’s variants, sometimes by friends some times by people who are trying to offend or otherwise belittle me, do I find it offensive? No I don’t do you know why? It’s because I am a big boy.

My fellow scots who do find it offensive need to grow a pair, you are supposed to be scots, i.e. a bit tougher than those whose origin is from the southern lands.

As for those who are trying to offend or belittle me, try harder.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I don’t find it offensive, just because I’m not that easily offended.

But it’s certainly irritating – mostly because I’ve only ever heard it used by small-minded, petty little t**ts, who certainly intended it to be offensive. Usually followed by asking if I was from Glasgay. Does anyone know where this mythical place may be found? I’ve never heard of it, despite being born and bred in the west of Scotland.

yunki
    Free Member

Move forward to 2013 and everyone is looking to take offence at every possible word/name being bandied about, which is a bit depressing. What will we be like in another 35 years?

bleeding mental innit!

(I’m allowed to say that on account of being ‘Dave the Nutter’ to me mates 😀 )

patriotpro
    Free Member

You are a superior to no one so you will never hear it
    Been shopping lately?

Flamesville! 😆

Been shopping lately?

One gets the servant to do that shit 😉

robbespierre
    Free Member

Some very funny posts here!!

But seriously – it’s the tone and attitude of the person using any particular word or name that makes it offensive or not.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Of course one thing that has caused the position to have changed in the past 20 years has been the increase in anti English sentiment North of the border, which has resulted in plenty of previously friendly English people to take offence that their fellow English were getting a hard time in Scotland.

Therefore, ‘good old Jock’, became those ‘effing Jocks’ in certain circles which has confused the use of the word.

scotroutes

Sources?

winston_dog
    Free Member

the past 20 years has been the increase in anti English sentiment North of the border,

+1

I frequently worked in Scotland from 1990 – 1995 and then lived there from 2003 – 2009. There was a definite change in attitude over the period. Only anecdotal evidence but it was definitely my experience.

scotroutes

anecdotes aren’t evidence

winston_dog
    Free Member

anecdotes aren’t evidence

Yes they are.

Anecdotal_evidence

teasel
    Free Member

Sources?

STW ?

😉

Edit : Well, maybe just proof of it…

Bazz

Rockape63 » the increase in anti English sentiment North of the border,

Sources?

This thread? can’t but help thinking people are just trying to take offence so they can justify being more anti English.

Rockape63
    Free Member

You’ve gotta be kidding scotroutes…..maybe in the North of Scotland its not obvious, but there is a huge swell of anti English sentiment in Scotland.

Most of it was started by Mel Gibson!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don’t use the word jock – i find calling someone Scottish to be insult enough! 😛

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t like using the terms “jock”, “taff” or “paddy” unless with close friends where the intent is clearly non derogatory.

Repeated for the hard of thinking.

Woody
    Free Member

😀

CountZero

Ah, yes, forgot about the pikies(!).
    FWIW, pikey is a Roma term for those ‘Travellers’ who like to consider themselves part of the ‘gypsy’ community, like Irish tinkers and crusties.

More recently, pikey was applied to Irish Travellers (also known as tinkers and knackers) and non-Romanichal travellers.[12][13] In the late 20th century, it came to be used to describe “a lower-class person, regarded as coarse or disreputable.”[7][14]
    Pikey’s most common contemporary use is not as a term for the Romani ethnic group, but as a catch-all phrase to refer to people, of any ethnic group, who travel around with no fixed abode.
    Among English Romani Gypsies the term pikey refers to a Traveller that is not Romani. It may also refer to a member who has been cast out of the family. If a member of the family is hot headed or a thief or a trouble maker or brings misfortune on the family, then a family council will be held and that member will be cast out of the family and will have to stay out of the way for ever more. They are regarded as never having even been a part of the family.[15]

yunki
    Free Member

not sure that you’ve got that quite right Countzero..

athgray
    Free Member

I don’t get offended by the term jock, but not a fan of the term Scotch to describe someone from Scotland.I think a regular here uses the term, and takes offence at being called Paddy. Pot, kettle, black and all that. I agree with rockape about an unpleasant rise in ugly sentiment towards England and the UK in Scotland. Friend recently spat on for wearing a poppy. I also noticed a town in SNP heartland with a Britain in Bloom Winners sign. The word Britain has been defaced and covered with Saltires. These are only a couple of examples but I feel point towards a trend. I am concerned to the point where candidates for a No vote will not be safe campaigning in many areas next year.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Is scouser or geordie or taff or tyke cockney or ****

Mate of mine was in Australia when the West Indies and Pakinstani cricket teams were touring. He had heard the West Indian team referred to as the “Windies”, a term of genuine endearment for Australians who had a long love affair with the likes of Richards and Lloyd. He got that one. But he nearly choked on his beer when he saw a TV commercial warning Australian cricket fans that “The **** are coming!” That was sometime in the late 1980’s. I think they have moved on since.

yossarian
    Free Member

the increase in anti English sentiment North of the border,

My experience also between 2000 and 2004.

rene59
    Free Member

Splitting my working week between Scotland and England I see that the majority of those English folk using the terms Jock and Scotch as a reference to Scots do so only when in the company of there own kind and in a sneering manner.

When such English colleagues are invited to use the terms as freely when they visit the Scottish depots and offices they don’t seem quite so keen.

This tells me both that they know the terms are used in a derogatory way and that they are cowards.

GrahamS

You’ve gotta be kidding scotroutes…..maybe in the North of Scotland its not obvious, but there is a huge swell of anti English sentiment in Scotland.

Bollocks! No there isn’t. Don’t confuse the rise of Scottish Nationalism with “anti-English sentiment”.

I’m a Weegie. My missus is English. We have lived in both countries, currently live in the NE of England and go up to Scotland very regularly. Can’t say I’ve noticed any “huge swell”.

By contrast my English in-laws lived in Edinburgh 40 years ago and got the full “English Go Home” treatment and a brick through their window.

Fairly standard at that time. Is that happening a lot in the current “huge swell”?

athgray
    Free Member

I heard British comedian Omid Djalili a while back talking about some support he received from a local lad in Glasgow when touring who declared,
    “Go oan yoursel big man. It’s great seein **** doin comedy!” Bless.

konabunny
    Free Member

The word Britain has been defaced and covered with Saltires. These are only a couple of examples but I feel point towards a trend.

I get all my sophisticated socio-political analysis from what neds write on small town street signs, too. It’s the pulse of any society.

benji
    Free Member

Who cares, when they get the devolution vote they keep banging on about, we can rebuild Hadrians wall and call them what we like, skirt wearing haggis munchers 😉

bigjim

it’s not as offensive as what a lot of scots call english people!

GrahamS

I wouldn’t be so sure benji. Most of the Scots I know (including SNP voters) are still in the “No” or “Undecided” camps. I only know one guy who is saying “Yes” at the moment.

Incidentally I’m quite happy to be called a haggis-muncher. I love haggis, you silly rosbif! 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

It’s odd really, I wouldn’t call myself especially sensitive but I was most put out when a random Australian woman called me a Pom when I was in Eastern Europe. I had been called a **** Pom by a different Australian, but I was brandishing an electric fan on a bush walk so I guess I invited it.

I would agree that it could be part of banter with mates, not so much for random encounters.

Drac

Growing up we had a Scottish friend known as Jock, can’t even remember his proper name, his Dad was also known as Jock a really nice bloke but if you were going to describe a Glaswegian based on stereotyping he’d fit that perfectly.

Anyway we moved away from the area they lived in and never seen Jock Jnr for about 20 years until 1 day at work I bumped into him, he’d getting a job as a porter at the hospital. My first words were “Hello Jock how you doing?”

Never seemed offensive to me certainly no more than being called a Geordie.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?’ is closed to new replies.