Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 226 total)
  • Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up Scotroutes. I will call my mate Jocky Grey in Edinburgh at lunchtime and “tell him” he needs to find a new name for us to use rather than offend him. I am sure he wont mind – hes only been using it for 30 odd years or so.

scotroutes

FWIW – my MiL would call me a sassenach as she live in the Outer Hebrides and I’m from Edinburgh.

peterfile
    Free Member

answers the question really

No it doesn’t. The point is that it’s almost impossible to use either jock or sassenach in social circumstances with people you don’t know without it’s use being anything other than to cause offence/wind up.

Between friends is an entirely different situation, but I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about here.

peterfile
    Free Member

I will call my mate Jocky Grey in Edinburgh at lunchtime and “tell him” he needs to find a new name for us to use rather than offend him.

Keep up at the back

MrNice
    Free Member

I’d be interesting to hear what terms the Scottish use for the English that you would consider to be derogatory as well.

English b@stard was popular when I lived up there. Not directed at me personally, some (not all, obviously) people seemed to think that the word English would always be followed by b@stard(s).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am trying Peter, trust me, just hard to keep up……. 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Calling us Taff is like calling us a thief if you want to take it that far.

Dont know of people from outside of Wales who call those from the North Gogs they call us Hwntw.

dragon
    Free Member

Sheesh I never new the Scottish were such sensitive little souls.

Funny coming from the country that gave us Rangers and Celtic.

peterfile
    Free Member

I am trying Peter, trust me, just hard to keep up…….

Us jocks are renowned for our blistering pace, sharp wit and superior intellect, so I can appreciate how much of a hard task that is THM 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Really? Is that really the best you can up with?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Very true, Peter very true – which is why I love Scotland so much and enjoyed living there.

No doubt on your superior intellect – I share a Scottish education 😉

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Not offensive or racist in my book.

Has only ever been said to me by poncy English twonks, usually from the Essex/Herts area trying to get a rise out of the Scotsman. I tend to just remind them of the Scottish stereotype that we all like to hunt the English for sport then show their wives what real men are like

Sancho
    Free Member

I find it amusing that the English are doing a lot of hand wringing about our nicknames for people from different countries yet the scots just get to the point and call us a bunch of bastards lol

Woody
    Free Member

I suspect it may be something to do with STW forumites, who may not be your typical Scotttish person !

scotroutes

TBF, that’s not confined to Scots.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Sancho » I find it amusing that the English are doing a lot of hand wringing about our nicknames for people from different countries yet the scots just get to the point and call us a bunch of bastards lol

and it’s definately meant to be offensive ;).

dragon
    Free Member

I suspect it may be something to do with STW forumites, who may not be your typical Scotttish person !

True they are mostly fine (90%+), but unfortunately there is an awful subset who are more racist than pretty much anyone I’ve ever met elsewhere.

And then there are PC (STW) subset who seem to get offended at everything on the internet.

peterfile
    Free Member

True they are mostly fine (90%+), but unfortunately there is an awful subset who are more racist than pretty much anyone I’ve ever met elsewhere.

I agree with this. Spent 8 years living in England as an adult and the last few back in Scotland. Working in same industry. The casual racism in Scotland still takes me a wee bit by surprise. It’s not really frowned upon by those who don’t consider themselves to be racist in the same way it is in England IMO, so it’s much more “open”.

I’m sure there was a survey don’t in the early 2000’s where Scotland came out as the most institutionally racist country in Europe.

wrecker
    Free Member

Depends on how it’s used. If it’s used with the intention of belittling or demeaning (as it usually is on here) then yes, it’s offensive.

Yarp. Nailed it.
    My dad has no problem with the word “paddy” per se, but being in the army in the 70s, he was subject to a lot of abuse for being from Belfast. I don’t like using the terms “jock”, “taff” or “paddy” unless with close friends where the intent is clearly non derogatory. Likewise, I don’t take kindly to being called “sassanach” when I’m unsure of the intent.

kcr
    Free Member

I will call my mate Jocky Grey in Edinburgh at lunchtime and “tell him” he needs to find a new name

What has your pal named Jocky got to do with a discussion about a collective nickname? Jocky is a fairly common name used by individuals.

Jock? Pretty irrelevant. Not many people who talk like they walked out of a Commando comic nowadays.

maddyutah

No and No to the Original post,i think some of the “Jocks” who get upset by it are wee bit too sensitive.
    Just out a matter of interest anybody know the origins of the term ?

seven
    Free Member

Sassanach

Jock

Well that seems to clear it up

One is intended to be derogatory the other is heard as derogatory 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Racist.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Because it highlights the fact that context is all important IMO kcr. The argument that Jock/Jocky is offensive in all cases is falsified by the fact that people choose to use the name/nickname themselves.

Just spoke to him, name remains at his request and he’s a No man.

When I lived in France i found it quite funny being called a rosbif. Perhaps thats whats needed – a SOH?

gonefishin
    Free Member

i think some of the “Jocks” who get upset by it are wee bit too sensitive.

I’ll thank you not to tell me what I can and can’t get upset about. Would you say the same about women who complain about misogyny?

peterfile
    Free Member

Said like a true sassenach. Now toddle along and start a thread about getting dusty eyes at a John Lewis advert or something 🙂

scotroutes

Racist.[/quote]Really?

I always thought that the Aussie term was hyphenated, as in “pommie-bastard”.

seosamh77
    Free Member

As someone born and bred in Glasgow, nope, not in the slightest. Unless accompanied by an obvious underlying hatred, which would then make it offensive.

Words aren’t offensive, the intent behind the word dictates the offensiveness of a word.

Really baffles my why people can’t understand that.

seven
    Free Member

Because it highlights the fact that context is all important IMO kcr. The argument that Jock/Jocky is offensive in all cases is falsified by the fact that people choose to use the name/nickname themselves.

Now how about the word ****, no non racist would use it, but it has been reclaimed by some in the African American community

5thElefant
    Free Member

I tend to just remind them of the Scottish stereotype that we all like to hunt the English for sport then show their wives what real men are like

😆 I don’t think that particular stereotype has made it across the border.

seven
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member

I tend to just remind them of the Scottish stereotype that we all like to hunt the English for sport then show their wives what real men are like

I don’t think that particular stereotype has made it across the border.

Ask your wife 🙂

maddyutah

gonefishin – Member

I’ll thank you not to tell me what I can and can’t get upset about. Would you say the same about women who complain about misogyny

Im not, you can get upset with whatever you want

And no,whats that got to do with the original question

grum
    Free Member

Now how about the word ****, no non racist would use it, but it has been reclaimed by some in the African American community

Are you calling druidh a racist? 😛

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ask your wife

She’s Scottish 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw, c**t is a term of endearment up here, any scotsman getting offended by jock must really be having a bit of a torrid time of it! 😀

scotroutes

Are you calling druidh a racist? [/quote] 😆 Oi! I’m sure I he used that perfectly in context!

seosamh77
    Free Member

seven – Member

I don’t know if you noticed, but you just used it in a non offensive context…

maddyutah

Peterfile
    How did you know i was from the Lowlands so you must be a Teuchter then

scotroutes

Oh – I’m amused that this spin-off thread has now relegated the more serious business down the page by some way. I guess that’s because everyone is now reading the 670 page white paper before resuming discussion on that one.

I haven’t got to the end yet but I don’t think that use of the word “Jock” is covered anywhere in that 670 pages. I’m sure that THM and various assorted unionist politicians will be along in a minute to tell us that shows the SNP haven’t really given this whole independence thing enough thought.

Sancho
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with **** me and a couple of friends use it to eaxh other.
    Though I wouldn’t use it outside my mates

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?’ is closed to new replies.