Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 226 total)
  • Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?
  • athgray
    Free Member

So you know it was neds then? Must have been a ned that spat at my friend also. I can’t deny that there is a portion of the population of Scotland that don’t feel a connection to Britain or we would not be having a referendum. Nationalists have used false propaganda to fool people into a resentment of the UK that I believe stops just short of Union Jack flag burning. As I already stated, I would not like to be a No canvaser next year wearing a rossette with a Union Jack on it.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbPdQmi3s0M[/video]

This posted for balance. Appeals to my sense of humour. No less a valid view of Scotland than the Utopia imagined by some. Reality probably somewhere in the middle.

scotroutes

As has been remarked above, his name may well have been John and that is colloquially changed to Jock (e.g. my Uncle John was always known as Jock, just as his father Hugh was known as Shuggie).

As has also been remarked above, referring to Scots as Jocks is seen, by many, as derogatory and offensive. Given that point, how would a STW moderator respond to a post highlighted as such?

scotroutes

Sources?

gordimhor

No one who called me ‘Jock’ has ever meant it in any way other than derogatory.

Drac

Given that point, how would a STW moderator respond to a post highlighted as such?

Context goes along to way to how a term is deemed offensive.

No it wasn’t John.

brakes
    Free Member

I absolutely, categorically, definitely and undeniably hate this thread.
    this kind of thread is worse than reality TV.
    there, I said it.

athgray
    Free Member

IIRC, the Official Yes campaign referendum video used at the start of the SNP conference. Leni Riefenstahl would be proud. 😉
    Was intrigued by Sturgeons speech. Whole new meaning to scare mongering. Or is it not scare mongering when wrapped in a saltire.

gordimhor

Athgray if you have such concerns about the safety of candidates report it to the relevant authorities (edit)

yunki
    Free Member

kennyp
    Free Member

I’m Scottish and have to say that the Jock thing doesn’t bother me one little bit. Anyone who gets offended by something like that is either one of the all too commonf ull time offendees that we see so often these days pretending to be offended by everything, or really needs to get out more.

Northwind

It’s all about delivery/tone IMO. I know STW struggles with anything but black and white though so that might not be helpful 😉

“Sweaty sock” though seems to be a pretty good indicator that the person speaking is a fanny.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nationalists have used false propaganda to fool people into a resentment of the UK that I believe stops just short of Union Jack flag burning.

hahahaaha! this place is hilarious at times. you should try listening to the nationalist argument, rather than coming to conclusions based of your own warped views.

The comment about no canvesers fearing for their safety is equally hilarious! 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok time for a compromise so that everyone can get some sleep. No more “Jock”. From now on our friends in Scotland shall simply be known as “very good sportsmen” instead. HTH. Night, night.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw I think people thinking there’s a surge in anti enlgishness are just too sensitive for some harsh scottish humour.

Anti english sentiment is worse now than it was post thatcher and the poll tax in the 90s! 😀 love it! 😀

The actual reality imo, is that there’s less intolerance in Scotland than there was in the 90s. people just get more offended these days.

john_drummer
    Free Member

born in Hartlepool !

I’m sure she likes getting called a Geordie then, Monkey Hanger may be more accurate 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

I would not like to be a No canvaser next year wearing a rossette with a Union Jack on it.

Rosette? Union flag? You should throw in a bowler hat and a LOL banner too.

PS why did Ian Paisley’s house smell so bad? Because he would never allow pot pourri under his roof.

zokes
    Free Member

btw I think people thinking there’s a surge in anti enlgishness are just too sensitive for some harsh scottish humour.

Yet, the Scots are allowed to be offended by people calling them “Jocks”? Evidently the Scots are just being too sensitive 🙄

athgray
    Free Member

Why would they wear a bowler hat kona? You may as well say that they would be an English toff because thats what you imply. I am sure the Yes campaign will be wearing rossettes with saltires on. Whats the difference? It is possible for someone to feel Scottish and British.
    Seosamh, I at no point said canvasers would fear for their safety, read again if you like.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why would they wear a bowler hat kona? You may as well say that they would be an English toff because thats what you imply.

I think that was a reference that went whooooooooosh over your bowler hat.

GrahamS

Must have been a ned that spat at my friend also.

I’ve never heard of someone getting hassle for wearing a poppy before, but at a guess I’d saying it is more likely to be good old traditional sectarian hatred. The same knuckle-draggers that have been known to throw stones at the fire service because the somehow (??) represent the Queen. That’s not something new unfortunately.

winston_dog
    Free Member

the majority of those English folk using the terms Jock and Scotch as a reference to Scots do so only when in the company of there own kind and in a sneering manner.

How does that work? If your a Scot how would you hear them?

rene59
    Free Member

Did I say exclusive company? No, I didn’t.

winston_dog
    Free Member

only when in the company of there own kind

Woody
    Free Member

No one who called me ‘Jock’ has ever meant it in any way other than derogatory.

I think that says a great deal more about you than the word used!

Lol @ JD monkey hanger. Thanks for reminding me about that one.

gordimhor

No one who called me ‘Jock’ has ever meant it in any way other than derogatory.I think that says a great deal more about you than the word used!
    Really Woody ? How is that?
    For what it’s worth no one I know has ever called me a Jock. 5 of those who did call me Jock attacked my friend and I a few seconds later.

stewartc
    Free Member

Didn’t the Dexy Midnight Runners do a song about someone called ‘jock’?

winston_dog
    Free Member

For what it’s worth no one I know has ever called me a Jock. 5 of those who did call me Jock attacked my friend and I a few seconds later.

So what? I bet they called you a few worse things as well.

Perhaps they were threatened by your stereotypical aggressive, drunken behaviour? The Scots I know are not the quietest, best behaved people. 🙂

I have used the term Jock to friends/colleagues but not to strangers. They didn’t seem particularly bothered and it was all part of “banter”.

I’ve never randomly attacked anyone either.

bencooper
    Free Member

They didn’t seem particularly bothered and it was all part of “banter”.

Maybe they just didn’t want to seem bothered, because “it’s just a bit of banter” is often shorthand for “I’m trying to wind you up for a laugh”.

I’ve been that single Scottish person in a room full of drunken English people – and I smiled along with the fried Mars bar jokes and laughed at the “banter” because the alternative was that it would get worse.

hilldodger
    Free Member

….. No more “Jock”.
    From now on our friends in Scotland shall simply be known as “very good sportsmen” **** instead.

As it seems to be their own preferred term of endearment I’m more than happy to use it 😀

Woody
    Free Member

Gordimhor – you’ve changed from ‘no-one’, to ‘no-one you know’ has ever called you a jock! Bit of a difference and I’d be interested in the circumstances of the attack.

Do you get out much?

winston_dog
    Free Member

“I’m trying to wind you up for a laugh”.

Yes of course. What’s the problem? The clue is in “laugh”. Besides it was never a single Scot, quite frequently I was the single Englishman and I was normally receiving Englandshire stuff from them.

Fried Mars Bars are a disgusting idea and I am aware that very few people actually eat them but they were “invented” in Scotland, so why can’t someone take p!ss about them?

Drac

I’ve been that single Scottish person in a room full of drunken English people – and I smiled along with the fried Mars bar jokes and laughed at the “banter” because the alternative was that it would get worse

I spent 8 weeks training on a course for work I was the only English person, I called them jocks and they called me wee Geordie. There was banter in my direction from them about being English and a Geordie, I gave it back. Was one of the best few weeks I’ve had a right good laugh.

Now a polite notice. Please stop using the C word and asterixeses it’s classed as swear filter avoidance.

/awaits humorous post of what C word.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If its STW, then must be Cameron surely Drac?

Drac

If its STW, then must be Cameron surely Drac?

Well working in the NHS I agree but it’s his short name I’m talking about.

gordimhor

Ah I see it was a stereotype they punched and not my nose , what with all violence being a form of communication we should maybe have stayed to carry on the debate, but the 5 of them were so much more talkative than the 2 of us, we decided to leg it.
    I think banter between friends is fine, people I don’t know have used the term Jock which to me comes over as a bit irritating or patronising. Generally you just ignore it .

scotroutes

but surely

??

grum
    Free Member

I’ve been that single Scottish person in a room full of drunken English people – and I smiled along with the fried Mars bar jokes and laughed at the “banter” because the alternative was that it would get worse.

You poor dear. Did you call the police to report the incident of inciting racial hatred? Do you think that ever goes the other way or is it only the evil English that do such things?

Funny that people angrily claim Scottish nationalism has nothing to do with resentment towards the English then post stuff like this….

I’ve had numerous bits of ‘banter’ from Scots about being English, most of it friendly, but not always. Don’t think I’ve ever used the term Jock though – just seems a bit of a crass word.

cookeaa

Is it Racism?

I think it does come down to context and intent, how it’s used and what sort of reaction the user of the term is looking to get (if any)…

Yeah OK it can just be a bit of banter. When people discover I hail from the South West you get the occasional use of the term “Carrot Cruncher”, fair enough, it’s a poor fit but I could live with the term being used in jest for a day or so perhaps….

But if somebody is still dwelling on where I grew up, and related stereotypes, the next day, a week, a month later, then yeah I’d be increasingly annoyed by it, and it only serves to demonstrate just how “small” that persons world view is…

TBH “Jock” not a term I’ve ever used with any of my Scottish co-workers or friends, if anything I find that I tend to ignore most peoples “point of origin”, however obvious or not it might be, unless conversations drift round to the topic.

The thing is I don’t think there are many places where you can live or work in the UK these days without being at least partly “exposed” to people from other regions, if you are not at least able to remain civil when dealing with someone who has a slightly different accent and background to yourself, then how are you going to manage with someone from another country?

The UK is a pretty “Multicultural” place these days, not being able to function in such an environment is a fundamental problem with someones social skills and ability to integrate…

Drac

??

Predictable.

winston_dog
    Free Member

But if somebody is still dwelling on where I grew up, and related stereotypes, the next day, a week, a month later, then yeah I’d be increasingly annoyed by it, and it only serves to demonstrate just how “small” that persons world view is…

TBH “Jock” not a term I’ve ever used with any of my Scottish co-workers or friends, if anything I find that I tend to ignore most peoples “point of origin”, however obvious or not it might be, unless conversations drift round to the topic.

The thing is I don’t think there are many places where you can live or work in the UK these days without being at least partly “exposed” to people from other regions, if you are not at least able to remain civil when dealing with someone who has a slightly different accent and background to yourself, then how are you going to manage with someone from another country?

The UK is a pretty “Multicultural” place these days, not being able to function in such an environment is a fundamental problem with someones social skills and ability to integrate…

Are you serious? You are Clare Barker and I claim my £5!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?’ is closed to new replies.