Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Is it inevitable……….
  • tjagain

to turn into Victor Meldrew or “outraged of leith” as you get older?
    I see to find it hard these days not to say something when a situation annoys me

todays score is two pavement cyclists asked to go on the road, One restaurant worker asked to leave a clear space for those with mobility issues when he puts his outside tables out ( permit is for 1.2m, he had taken 2 m leaving only 60cm of pavement for people to get by!)

I think I may have to write a letter to myself in green ink!

In my defense I have also repaired a puncture for a kid and helped a homeless and a disabled guy in the last few days.

So how are the rest of you grumpy 50+ folk faring? Mellowing out or expressing your grumpiness?

Am I being a git or is this ” for evil to triumph it only requires good people to do nothing”

Harry_the_Spider

I’m as grumpy as Hell.

I’m with you on the ” for evil to triumph it only requires good people to do nothing” thing. I recently had a pop at some Herbert for chucking litter out of his car on my street. I stood in his way until he got out and picked it up. He must have thought I was barmy, but it worked.

lucien

Expressing my grumpiness if you speak to Mrs C, and mellowing out if you asked me.  It’s not me it’s everyone else….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m doing both.

I’m generally mellowing out about external stuff and work stuff but at the same time i’m a barely repressed , burning ball of incandescent rage about   a few particular bugbears.

brakes
    Free Member

Am I being a git or is this ” for evil to triumph it only requires good people to do nothing”

The things that you grumble about are a bit gittish, especially when it falls on deaf ears.
    By doing good things, you are countering the effects of evil like homelessness, disability and the truly hateful puncture.
    Namaste.

tjagain

And as for the training day I went to recently to be handed out 100 sheets of paper fully colour copied singleside most of which I never used ( its all available online / in my workplace) and that included a full colour set of powerpoint slides printed out.

and another thing…………………………..!

notlocal
    Free Member

Why wait until your 50’s? I’ve been the cantankerous barsteward pulling folk up for years (currently 47 & a quarter)
    Mrs notlocal just walks away when I start.

notlocal
    Free Member

Ooh, unnecessary printing of clinical or department notices….. We all get them emailed to us, but our team leaders insist on printing every single one. Some staff also print them off, despite each one having a nice eco policy footer on the bottom of the email🙄😤😡😠

johndoh
    Free Member

This morning I stood and stared at a woman that had pulled up on the zigzags outside her little darling’s school in her F-Pace until she moved it 15ft further down the road to the clear space with no parking restrictions.

hols2
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

todays score is two pavement cyclists asked to go on the road

WTF ! LIve and let live TJ. Think about how many cyclists are killed or injured on the roads and how many pedestrians are killed and injured by cyclists. Obviously I wasn’t there but I’m more than happy to share the pavement with any cyclist riding carefully at reasonable speed (up to jogging pace) and giving way to pedestrians. I think it’s a real shame the law doesn’t allow that.

tjagain

The pavement is very busy with pedestrians and less than 1m wide in parts, road has hardly any traffic – its cobbled tho which is I think the reason for the pavement cycling

Part of my reason for objecting is that it winds folk up and then is used as a stick to beat all cyclists

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Even if cyclists didn’t use pavements or go through red lights people would still say that they did. They believe what they want to.

xora

The pavement is very busy with pedestrians and less than 1m wide in parts, road has hardly any traffic – its cobbled tho which is I think the reason for the pavement cycling

Im going to guess the shore then, and keep an eye out for the grumpy old cyclist hater next I am there 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t see any problem.
    You are doing what you need to do. Simples.

So how are the rest of you grumpy 50+ folk faring? Mellowing out or expressing your grumpiness?

We now have a new evil bureaucrat at work who is increasing liking power and authority … the person is turning into a super micro management boss. Nothing I can do about it other than to comply.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I hope not, but I admit as I’m getting older I’m less tolerant of arseholes and idiots. I’d like to think it’s because as I’ve gotten older I’m more self confident and less likely to go with the crowd, but it’s mostly because I’m old.

tjagain

xora – almost right. Its “shore” not “the shore” Get it right!
    🙂

scuttler

Feeling like Perchy

I’m generally mellowing out about external stuff and work stuff but at the same time i’m a barely repressed , burning ball of incandescent rage about a few particular bugbears.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think it’s something to do with today, today seems really quite odd.

Lots of folk being tossers for no reason other than to wind up other folks, lots of retarded driving in a shower of rain, a few people watching Roland Garros tennis shouting at the TV “speak english!” A few people determined to ram you in the heals in the supermarket and a few very odd and quite angry emails asking for “things to be done right now!”

Being logged out of STW on the only three devices I ever use on this site, to have to log back in again amongst the bouncing pop-ups… but that’s not just today, that’s fairly a constant in this random world..

I’m putting it down to today, nothing more than that.

🤷‍♂️🤧

tenfoot

51 and so grumpy, I changed my Strava moniker to Victor Meldrew

tjagain

🙂

scaredypants

quite angry emails asking for “things to be done right now!”

If you’re in a south coast sorting depot you’d better make bloody sure they are done sunshine or I swear there’ll be a green-ink letter* heading your way (and copied to the Daily Mail) before you even leave work today !!

* or maybe tooled-up killing spree but I need to be home in time for Pointless, obvz, so prob just the letter

jamj1974

I’m tolerant and considerate most of the time – except when people are inconsiderate and intolerant.  So by some peoples standards, I didn’t wait for 50 to be grumpy and was at least 40 years early…

Klunk
    Free Member

IIRC there was some research which suggested that you don’t get grumpier with age, that grumpy old people used to be miserable young people.

DezB
    Free Member

Combination here – definitely mellowing. Less things annoy me, or things annoy me less… but more vocal about it when they do.
    I am the owner of this, a secret Santa present –

slowoldman

I consider myself cynical rather than grumpy. I’m not sure anyone who knows me agrees though.

xora

xora – almost right. Its “shore” not “the shore” Get it right!

Fair cop, 15 years living there and it never twigged 😀

But unless pavement has been replaced since I left the cobbled road was smoother 😀

tjagain

The pavement is new. The cobbles are breaking up.

Its weird the name thing tho ‘cos its almost impossible to make a sentence that sounds right using it. Same for Pleasance up town.

“Where do you live?” “I live on Shore”

IdleJon

but I need to be home in time for Pointless, obvz, so prob just the letter

It’s a repeat, if you need another reason to be grumpy. 😂

Bunnyhop

Yes, I’m sooo grumpy that I have to have a word with myself. The following are doing my head in:

People not moving over in the swimming pool when there is space for them and I’m shoved up against the pool wall.

The council mowing all the grass verges that were covered in wild flowers, on the new A555 bypass to Manchester airport.

People letting doors go in my face when entering a shop.

Inconsiderate and dangerous driving around our local roads, when cyclists are around.

Our neighbours who continue to smoke their drugs with 2 young children, never take their 2 dogs out and they bark a lot of the day. Then having 8 bags of rubbish which has to go to the tip every fortnight. They don’t give a toss about the environment or have any consideration for anyone else but themselves. She drives her huge sized diesel car to the shops and back (a 5 minute walk away) to her child’s school (a 16 minute walk away), also her car appears to be without seat belts, indicators or a speedometer.

People throwing litter out of car windows, into the canals near our house and dog walkers throwing their dog dirt bags into peoples gardens, into bushes and hanging from trees, makes me incandescent with rage.

And breath.

scotroutes

No.

tjagain

Needs an exclamation mark Scotroutes and to be in bold

No!

nickclift
    Free Member

Rage on folks…heres mine; Manchester Airport (in general), full of chavs wearing Lonsdale long shorts / short longs & football shirts whilst supping lager at 5.30am. Next up, Jet2….being attentive is one thing, but I am quite capable of finding my way to the check in desk without 6 separate red fleece wearing ‘customer service’ operatives pointing the way every yard….and do I really need a sticker on my cabin baggage saying ‘cabin baggage’? Jet2 again, deciding to leave Mrs Maelstroms bag at Manchester airport, Jet2 operative at Palma tells us priority is given to passengers who have paid extra for overweight cases, so when the ‘plane is overweight, unfortunately some bags are offloaded…..??? Cheers for that!
    Jet2 again, to be renamed ‘Cbeebies Airways’, anyone who has flown with them recently will have heard the childlike pre-recorded inflight announcements by some patronising bloke & woman….’we are all on-board together’…’please dont forget to tidy up’ …..’our AMAZING in flight offers’ etc etc.
    Rage over..for now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No,and it isn’t needed to defeat evil either.

matt_outandabout

Do you have to be over 50 to be a grumpy git?

It’s not grumpy – it’s merely wanting better.

#premature_meldrew

tthew

Jet2, at least they’ve stopped playing that bloody Jess Glynn song every 5 minutes. Know what you mean about the number of staff at the self check-in though. They have more than they ever did on the desks!

igm

Does anyone here really think TJ was less grumpy when he was younger?

Self awareness comes with age.

Now, should I walk away quietly or duck and run…?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

tjagain

*adds IGM to the list*

You can run but you cannot hide boy!

geex
    Free Member

two pavement cyclists asked to go on the road

*sigh*

Part of my reason for objecting is that it winds folk up and then is used as a stick to beat all cyclists

Remove the cape crusader. They weren’t “cyclists” and you’ve achieved nothing. (other than sounding like a moany old English guy)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Is it inevitable……….’ is closed to new replies.