Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 301 total)
  • iPhone5- Wtf. Not impressed
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can you get Flash on that?

I’d very happily be on Di2, Graham! 😉

jfletch
    Free Member

and run with the idea of what an OS can do, multiple home screens, live/real time widgets, scrolling notifications

^ This

Deeply unappealing.

When people decribe Android phone I just get an impresion of Google techies pebble dashing a house with features and then a Samsung/HTC painting it garishly and sticking a load of plastic facias over the top.

iPhones being more analogous to lovely minimal design crafted by an architect, doing all of the same stuff but in a less flashy way, all neatly hidden from the observer but just there when you need it. Working flawlessly.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

deviant
    Free Member

scuzz – Member
    Come off it you lot, he insulted people that buy iPhones to show other people how cool they are.

He didn’t insult everyone who buys iPhones.

Exactly, and i also said the iPhone is a good phone, the form factor of the 4, 4S and 5 cannot be rivaled in my opinion.
    What becomes tedious is the outdated criticism of early Android versions and the ramming down our throats that Apple products ‘just work’ when patently they come with just as many faults (especially when newly launched) as any other product.

The casual user is fine, they’ve made a choice to enjoy iOS and an iPhone….the hordes who queue for days and are then cheered into the shop and applauded as they leave are fully deserving of any mickey taking thrown their way.

Not once have i said Android is cool, far from it…its a bit techy which is inherently geeky and….well, its just a phone.

What i bite at again and again is the general belief that the iPhone is the only phone capable of being a smart phone….i get my phone out at work and somebody will invariably ask why i havent got an iPhone….if i give it to them to have a play with they seem genuinely shocked that it ‘just works’ and does the same things as their iPhone….this is obviously not the fault of the individual but rather the success of Apple’s advertising and a measure of just how far ahead the original iPhone was that it can still trade on its reputation.

However my favourite in the lead up to the launch of the new iPhone was of course the result of this survey:

Over a third (36 per cent) of consumers will buy an iPhone 5 because they feel Apple make the best smartphones, while nearly one in five (20 per cent) believe Apple’s latest phone will improve their social status.

Source: http://www.crowdedbrain.co.uk/mobile-pda/40-of-smartphone-users-plan-to-buy-the-new-iphone-5.html

The 1 in 5 who believe that owning the new iPhone 5 will improve their social standing need to be mocked mercilessly for they are pitiful creatures.

That is why i often come across as anti iPhone!

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s all going to be about Win 8 Mobile….srsly.

binners

If it doesn’t immediately sync everything with my Mac Pro and My Macbook, then it can **** right off, is my criteria for a phone

Kryton57

When people decribe Android phone I just get an impresion of Google techies pebble dashing a house with features and then a Samsung/HTC painting it garishly and sticking a load of plastic facias over the top.

iPhones being more analogous to lovely minimal design crafted by an architect, doing all of the same stuff but in a less flashy way, all neatly hidden from the observer but just there when you need it. Working flawlessly.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

This is where I am, very good summary. I live in a nice victorian semi, but I’ve no inclanation to pebble dash it and paint it orange.

GrahamS

Not once have i said Android is cool, far from it..

You complained that the iPhone “was once the leftfield choice of hipsters around the world is now abut as mainstream as white goods get…”

Implying that Android is now the non-mainstream leftfield edgy cool choice.

(it’s not. And neither was iPhone before it. They are all nice devices but mass-produced mobile phones from huge corporations are about as far from leftfield edgy and cool as you can get IMO)

The 1 in 5 who believe that owning the new iPhone 5 will improve their social standing need to be mocked mercilessly for they are pitiful creatures.

I completely agree – but I don’t believe that statistic in the slightest.
    It bears no absolutely no resemblance to any behaviour I see within in my peer group.

If one of my mates announced he’d camped outside an Apple store he’d be quite rightly slagged rotten about it for years.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Exactly

Oh right, I see. Nice that someone came up with that one for you. Perhaps you need to work on your communications skills then, because that was not how you were coming across.

Really? Why would you feel the need to mock people “mercilessly” for their choices? Because they’re not the reasons you would buy a phone? Is it to reinforce your own reasons? Surely you must be quite secure in the strength of your buying decisions. Why not just let people make their choices and let them be?

scuzz
    Free Member

Oh right, I see. Nice that someone came up with that one for you. Perhaps you need to work on your communications skills then, because that was not how you were coming across.

I’m flattered that you feel I have better comprehension skills than you, but if he really had poor communication skills, how would I have been able to elaborate on his original point?

deadlydarcy, do you feel one’s choice of phone can elevate one’s social status?

deviant
    Free Member

Graham-S….you are implying for me, i didnt say that, you are drawing your own conclusions….its a phone OS, its not cool….not iOS nor Android.

Darcy….the vacuous belief that toting an iPhone will improve ones social status is fair reason for mockery….others may of course disagree, they would be wrong however.

What have we learned in this thread then?….all phones come with problems and some people prefer one OS to the other….glad we got that sorted.

(Jamie, Windows-8 for mobiles does indeed look good….if it can be coupled with Nokia’s legendary reputation for build quality, reliability, battery life etc then it should succeed as an OS….seriously considering one when my contract ends in December)

Kryton57

What have we learned in this thread then?….

Erm…?

GrahamS

Graham-S….you are implying for me, i didnt say tha

Fair enough.

When someone says to me “don’t buy that, it’s not cool” I tend to think they are implying what they have is “cool” – but you’re right, that was my own implication, not yours. Apologies.

jam-bo

Nokia’s legendary reputation for build quality, reliability, battery life etc

You never owned an N95 then.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

£500 for a phone? Why, I could but a Dura Ace Di2 rear mech for that! Bargain.

It’s not all about ‘I’ve bought this so I can’t buy that’ you know, some of us can do both.

Kryton57

Willy waving over spending power is what that ^^ is.

hora
    Free Member

Pebble so can I. Mind you itd mean no food, meade, Woman nor song for a month.

N95? I had the latest Nokia for one week 2years ago. It went back. Apallingly counter intuitive thing. N8?

hora
    Free Member
    deviant
    Free Member

I love sniffpetrol, havent had a nosey on there in ages….cheers!

Loved the anti-moped campaign they did a few years ago….actually had me laughing out loud at work like some kind of mentalist.

molgrips
    Free Member

iPhones being more analogous to lovely minimal design crafted by an architect,

Absolute LOLZ. Android is very well thought out indeed under the covers, very smart piece of system design.

Google are bloody clever.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Haha, you losers. I struggle with long sentences.

FTW

Kevevs
    Free Member

having had a quick fiddle with an almighty incredible iphone5, It seems like a nicely built bit of kit, but not something I could leave in the pub or smash on a ride, it’d be too valuable an allday tool to be in my hands! I have little experience of smartphones, but the culture of status and desire that seems to emanate around these things (and they are just things) really puts me off. and I’m constantly skint and I don’t want something I can’t afford.

GrahamS
    GrahamS

I’m constantly skint and I don’t want something I can’t afford.

Seems like a pretty good reason it to get one then, particularly if you intend leaving it in the pub or smashing it

Kevevs
    Free Member

It is a reason not to buy one or get involved in the expensive smartphone culture Graham. If I had an Iphone5, I’d have to have a seperate phone for pretty much everyday duties as I think I would be wandering around with something far too expensive in my pocket. call that paranoia, but have you ever been mugged in Hackney? I have twice, for really shit phones. Phones become less valuable when someone wants to stab you for it. It’s just a thing.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Made a promise to my mates that I would only buy a new phone when my current Nokia 5140 died. That was 2004 ish I think. Bloody thing just won’t die. I love this phone.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Not keen on the lack of imagination and design of the Iphone 5, nor am i impressed that it costs a bomb. However, as a Ipod touch owner till it broke due to rain and using a Android phone LG Optimus 2X (LG’s version of the Galaxy S2), i want a device for music and phone calls etc. So from a music quality perspective, which would be the better device the Galaxy S3 or Iphone 5.

Must admit my LG is piss poor quality for music and when my Ipod touch worked it had fantastic quality sound. Both used with Sennheiser CX300 earphones.

GrahamS

It is a reason not to buy one or get involved in the expensive smartphone culture Graham.

Yeah I was agreeing with you!
    My piss poor typing let me down: “Seems like a pretty good reason it to get one then” was supposed to read “Seems like a pretty good reason NOT to get one then”

Kevevs
    Free Member

isn’t it better to use the phone you have until the very end of it’s useful life or buy a 2nd hand one? than to buy one brand new just cos you can and want to cos you’ve been brainwashed into wanting one? These things pile up massively in landfills once their battery life is over. some people send ’em off to africa, I don’t know. I’m not into this culture of upgradeitis. Nobody seems to be **** over the meaning of these things rather more the incredible, amazing technical specs 😉

I’m old enough to know how quickly easily bought computers become defunct and aren’t the latest thing! This is the same!

don’t stress Graham, it’s just the internets and I’m a bitter man. I just wish I could afford apple stuff.

kimbers

kevevs this is stw! its basicaly a temple dedicated to shiny things we dont need and youre on an iphone thread!

i dont think youll be convincing anyone to give up unadulterated consumerism

Kevevs
    Free Member

ahh well, I do like leffe though. so I do splash out.

hora
    Free Member

My G3 ibook has Toshiba at its heart. Its hard drive.

Re upgrading computers. Computers arent gadgets. Gadgets are a mans best friend and need to be upgraded 8)

Africa? Dont focus in the bad news stories. Its a massive continent not a country. Beautiful and varied. The BBC seems stuck on portraying it as full of savages.

Jamie
    Free Member

kevevs this is stw! its basicaly a temple dedicated to shiny things we dont need and youre on an iphone thread!

i dont think youll be convincing anyone to give up unadulterated consumerism

Oh, Kimbers! Don’t ever change!

*covets shiny things*

Africa? Dont focus in the bad news stories. Its a massive continent not a country. Beautiful and varied. The BBC seems stuck on portraying it as full of savages.

You too, Hora. You crazy diamond.

Jamie
    Free Member

(Jamie, Windows-8 for mobiles does indeed look good….if it can be coupled with Nokia’s legendary reputation for build quality, reliability, battery life etc then it should succeed as an OS….seriously considering one when my contract ends in December)

Missed this first time around, but I am also keeping an eye on the Lumia 920 and HTC 8x. I am on a iPhone 4 sim free, so will be quite easy to switch.

….well, apart from saying goodbye to about £80 of apps 😐

unovolo
    Free Member

Some people like Oranges ,some people like Apples(pun intended) personally I like Bananas hence I have a Nokia Lumia 800(windows phone)

Does what I want it too,has been utterly reliable(unlike the HTC hero it replaced)and is still a good size for pocketability and has a very good screen.

geoffj

Just had a look at one as a potential upgrade from a 4.

Extra row of icons, panorama camera, better Siri (than 4s)

Poorer plasticky build quality – a bit MEH tbh

The new connector looks nice though. Reckon I’ll wait for 5s or 6

GrahamS

I think iOS 6 gives the 4s the Siri improvements and possibly the panoramic camera.

barrowman
    Free Member

Samsung S3 is a bit of plastic junk. It has little residual value and is as secure as tying your bike up with a piece of string. The iPhone isn’t the second coming, but really the Samsung S-whatever is not in the same ballpark!

v8ninety

Poorer plasticky build quality – a bit MEH tbh

Quite a achievement from apple there; make a phone constructed almost entirely from aluminium and glass feel ‘plasticy’. If true, disapointing.

geoffj

Quite a achievement from apple there; make a phone constructed almost entirely from aluminium and glass feel ‘plasticy’. If true, disapointing.

Maybe due to the lighter feel, but the sales guy showed me a couple of dents in the Ali edges, where it had been dropped on the desk. He was less than impressed with it, which is a little damning, considering its his job to sell them. Of course, there maybe better margins on other smart phones, and so he may be less incentivised than he could be, but it was a stark contrast to how the same sales guy was when I upgraded from a 3 to a 4.

hora
    Free Member

Residual value?! Its a phone not a buy to leg.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 301 total)

The topic ‘iPhone5- Wtf. Not impressed’ is closed to new replies.