Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 301 total)
  • iPhone5- Wtf. Not impressed
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

and CountZero could have been describing any one of the flagship phones available from Samsung, HTC, Apple etc.

There is no killer feature these days.

bwaarp
    Free Member

A really fluid voice command system would be great for me, a phone that I could operate from the other side of the room. Can any do that yet? I don’t know why but I’d find this awesome.

zokes
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    I SINCERELY hope that Apple start haemorrhaging money like both they and Microshit did back in the 90’s.
    POSTED 36 MINUTES AGO #

Why?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    A really fluid voice command system would be great for me, a phone that I could operate from the other side of the room. Can any do that yet? I don’t know why but I’d find this awesome.

You mean one of these

Otherwise you could just take advantage of the fact that the phone is mobile…..

zokes – Member
    bwaarp – Member
    I SINCERELY hope that Apple start haemorrhaging money like both they and Microshit did back in the 90’s.
    POSTED 36 MINUTES AGO #
    Why?

That sort of feeling probably comes from abuse of market position, profiteering etc (Flash Memory for example) and perhaps the smugness that makes you want to punch them in the face 🙂 – finally for trying to patent a rectangle with rounded corners.

somouk
    Free Member

and CountZero could have been describing any one of the flagship phones available from Samsung, HTC, Apple etc.

Not really, the S3 is HUGE and feels very cheap to hold. Much the same as most HTC models.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not really, the S3 is HUGE and feels very cheap to hold. Much the same as most HTC models.

Matter of opinion. The S3 fits fine in my hand/pocket and as the count said it’s going in a case. The feel is meaning less then. If the new Iphone was the same size then nobody would be complaining about the size :).

For the features Count Zero listed all are available on other phones.

somouk
    Free Member

Matter of opinion.

Okay, it is relatively HUGE compared to an iphone. Plus you can’t possibly use the whole screen while holding the phone singlehanded like you can with an Iphone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

somouk – Member
    Matter of opinion.
    Okay, it is relatively HUGE compared to an iphone. Plus you can’t possibly use the whole screen while holding the phone singlehanded like you can with an Iphone.

PMSL – do i need to send a picture to prove it!!

Just because you guys can’t handle something big doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t!!

zokes
    Free Member

That sort of feeling probably comes from abuse of market position, profiteering etc (Flash Memory for example) and perhaps the smugness that makes you want to punch them in the face – finally for trying to patent a rectangle with rounded corners.

Or, just buy something else and don’t worry about it?

hora
    Free Member

Ive been waiting for the iphone5 to come out first before deciding. A two year contract is a long commitment and my Blackberry contract only expired in June so. I could wait. I also us a S2 w(mrshoras) which I must admit made me apprehensive as I dont like it, slow (Tmobile?) and prone to freezing.

This isnt a apple bashing thread. Its a specific product discussion IMO. I was expecting to be wowed not a tweaked evolution 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

This isnt a apple bashing thread

thing is, any micro criticism of an apple product sends the fanbois into apoplexy. see previous posts for details

Bregante

Mikewsmith,are you a member of the clergy? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Bregante betraying his age 😀

I wonder what a ICS updated S2 would be like for those complaining about the S3s size. Less ‘clunky’ than the 2.3’d S2?

Gorehound
    Free Member

Can’t see why there is all this fuss over a bloody phone.

stumpy01

To the people coming to the defense of the iphone in relation to the post about admitting to buying a dog…

I don’t think the poster was saying that the iphone5 is a dog; I think he was saying that people won’t ‘admit’ to it being a dog (if it was), following another post that said something like ‘i like it. Millions of others do too’.

hora
    Free Member

gorehound do you own a ss rigid and complain about fancy Fox forks? 😉

thepurist

IMO there is no point in building brand alliances for a mobile phone. 10 years ago it was all Nokia, 5 years ago it was all Apple, in 5 years time it could all be PuristPhones(TM). Just buy what works for you and be as loyal to any brand as it is to you.

hora
    Free Member

Part of Apple’s appeal though isn’t the tech, its the packaging and marketing whereas previously in computers etc etc it was 100% about the products content wasn’t it?

mogrim

Couple of colleague’s have S3s, they look fine and easy enough to use. Mind you, I’d quite like a Galaxy Note, so perhaps I’m biased 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I considered the note but its just not up there with the S3- wierd. When it gets upgraded to Snapdragon or ICS then….YES!

jambalaya
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Part of Apple’s appeal though isn’t the tech, its the packaging and marketing whereas previously in computers etc etc it was 100% about the products content wasn’t it?

With respect to Microsoft now it wasn’t about the content. MS computers were significantly inferior but their dominant market position due to exclusive contracts meant in practice you had no choice.

I’d say with Apple you have to use the products for a while to really understand the benefits. FWIW I think the phones aren’t as good as the iPad and Mac computers on a relative basis to the competition but IMO they are still the market leader for me. Others list similar features it’s just in my view it all works better on Apple

The big unknown at the moment is how 4G will be, I wasn’t sure so got a deal on a 4S 2 months ago. Last week having spoken to someone who had 4G in Tokyo I’m starting to regret that as he said it was blindingly fast vs 3G, as I’m on EE I could have had 4G now 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

its the packaging and marketing whereas previously in computers etc etc it was 100% about the products content wasn’t it?

No, hora, it isn’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bring back bombproof, idiotproof brick phones, I say

They are still widely available!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d say with Apple you have to use the products for a while to really understand the benefits. FWIW I think the phones aren’t as good as the iPad and Mac computers on a relative basis to the competition but IMO they are still the market leader for me. Others list similar features it’s just in my view it all works better on Appleit’s not an apple

Apple convinces people it integrates better and works better. As I said Android requires no software interface etc. New phone and set up in minutes. I hear people talking about how better Apple is because of x,y or z which all exist elsewhere just nobody though of calling it something fancy and claiming they invented it.

Apps are funny half are just a waste of space alternative to bookmarking the website – Melbourne Skybus has an iphone app which effectively shows you the PDF of the timetable. Android is now over 50% of the market so should start to show some dominance in new apps, ie releasing the android version before the Iphone one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Melbourne Skybus has an iphone app which effectively shows you the PDF of the timetable

This is, of course, Apple’s fault. Nothing to do with lazy app designers, oh no.

Android is now over 50% of the market so should start to show some dominance in new apps, ie releasing the android version before the Iphone one.

You’re now sounding like as the “fanbois” you’d like to make feel bad about their particular choice of smart wireless communications device. In fact, let’s be fair here, you’ve been sounding like it since the iOS6 update thread.

EDIT:

half

Half? Really?

jfletch
    Free Member

Can’t say for the new 5 but my 4 is the only phone I’ve ever had that has lasted for 2 years. Every other phone has either been broken, ground to a halt, had the screen go funny or just be so behind the times it was no longer worth keeping.

But the Apple hardware combined with free and frequent OS updates means the 4 is still fully working and in the top 10 phones in the world in terms of functions and features.

I read about people waiting for new andorid upgrades to come to their phone, being stuck on an old version or having to upgrade to get the newest OS, this makes me certain my next phone will be an iPhone.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m stuck on an old version of Android.

It works very nicely.

I’ve looked into newer versions but I can’t see any advantage to them, really. Just a few niceties. And I’m a technophile too.

GrahamS

Yeah it’s time the little guys had a chance.

Like Google and Samsung… 🙄

Personally I’m all for a bit of competition – keeps things moving. Smartphones wouldn’t be where they are today without it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

mikesmith
    Apple convinces people it integrates better and works better. As I said Android requires no software interface etc. New phone and set up in minutes. I hear people talking about how better Apple is because of x,y or z which all exist elsewhere just nobody though of calling it something fancy and claiming they invented it.

Tonight I’m going to watch the latest Jedi blog (and some other online stuff, perhaps some iPlayer) on my TV with my iPhone driving the content and onto TV via Apple TV.

I don’t know if Android does that from a technical perspective or what hardware you’d use but Apple does and I learnt about by walking into one of their stores, bought it set it up in minutes and it all works fabulously.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I expected more. Firstly picking it up was really underwhelming then the menu etc etc etc. I prefer the 4s. Slightly thicker but hey.

What do you mean by ‘the menu’ and what’s to prefer about the 4s?

I’ve got the 5, had the 4 before but it’s just a phone. If htc released a new phone would you post on a forum about it?

GrahamS

Apple convinces people it integrates better and works better. As I said Android requires no software interface etc. New phone and set up in minutes.

This argument is less convincing when I regularly see threads like:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/android-geek-helpstuck-at-first-hurdle-unrevoked
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fairly-big-android-exploit
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/argh-android-help
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/quick-android-question
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/agh-what-have-i-done-android-help-sharpish

Apple has many problems – but it does try very hard to make things “just work” (even when that means restricting what a device can ultimately do).

scuzz
    Free Member

Tonight I’m going to watch the latest Jedi blog (and some other online stuff, perhaps some iPlayer) on my TV with my iPhone Android driving the content and onto TV via Apple TV uPNP and DLNA. No box required

🙂
    GrahamS, for balance:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/iphone-help-5
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/iphone-help-4
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/appiphone-help
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-iphone-4s-contacts-lost-re-icloud
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/iphone-help-please-its-died

What exactly are we trying to achieve here?

GrahamS

Android driving the content and onto TV uPNP and DLNA

Ooh.. can your TV access DLNA servers? Fancy schmancy!

(and yes you could do that with iOS too)

GrahamS, for balance

😆

The notable difference is the solutions to the Apple threads don’t involve rooting it, flashing a custom rom, using a different bootloader, installing task killers…

Generally the Apple ones end in “do this”, “change this setting” or “buy this other shiny but overpriced Apple branded add-on” 😀

scuzz
    Free Member

Fairy ’nuff 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Bemused by all the iphone hysteria. have you noticed how many there are for sale inthe classifieds section?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scuzz – I just googled that (uPNP and DLNA) – thanks

They are just protocols and/or you must have a suitable TV ? The Apple box works with any TV with HDMI cables.

I’m just curious ..

jambalaya
    Free Member

mikeconnor – Member
    Bemused by all the iphone hysteria. have you noticed how many there are for sale inthe classifieds section?

That’s a positive sign, it shows they are worth something vs being just thrown in the bin/recycling basket.

hora
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘the menu’ and what’s to prefer about the 4s?

I’ve got the 5, had the 4 before but it’s just a phone. If htc released a new phone would you post on a forum about it?

I don’t particularly like the menu etc on the iphone’s- I kinda hoped Apple may change things. Neither the Iphone or S3 are/were as intuitive as my old 9700 Blackberry. Hard to explain but then when shopping again I didn’t fancy another Blackberry.

As to your last line, how is that relevent? Stop the flouncy strop d’arlin. I said earlier on I was holding off buying a S3 until I’d seen the Iphone5. The only other phone on my shortlist.

Plus, who is HTC? Everyone I’ve spoken to about them complains about them royally.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Good point actually jambaylaya. although it does mean the poor in Africa won’t get to enjoy the benefits of iOS6 with it’s fantastic mapping feature. Shame.

GrahamS

jambalaya: many of the nice Android handsets have HDMI-out on them so don’t need a separate set-top box at all.

Is that good or bad?? 😕

Lots of X for sale could mean lots of people have them, maybe trading up to the next one

Few X for sale could mean lots of people have them, are happy with them and are keeping them. Or they are trading them in commercially.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 301 total)

The topic ‘iPhone5- Wtf. Not impressed’ is closed to new replies.